We stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman back on the last weekend of October. Super Storm Sandy had just swung by and (unbeknownst to us) was on its way to New York. We were bound and determined to celebrate one year together in a relaxing and tropical setting and we found a great place to do it.
A few of my favorite things:
- The spa is absolutely incredible. It is a La Prarie spa, so the products are really excellent. I had the mango body scrub, a one hour massage and a facial. The relaxation room, the staff and the services are top notch. Not only that, but the decor within the spa is beautiful. It feels like you're walking into a cave in some kind of fairy tale.
- The food. Unfortunately, Blue was closed for the season, but we really enjoyed our lunches by the pool and the sushi restaurant. Since it was such a short trip, we didn't tire of the limited choices on property. Also, we happened to be there during a major culinary event on the island and attended the awards ceremony at the hotel. We were able to meet top chefs on Grand Cayman and have an incredible dinner. We also won an espresso maker in the raffle, which was really hilarious to get home.
- The pool area. I usually prefer a quiet infinity pool, but this large and quite deep pool was comfortable and easily accommodated the large number of people at the hotel. I especially appreciated the staff at the pool who would set up your chairs and move the umbrellas. It made it easy to get a spot and you didn't have to worry about people "saving chairs" and never coming back.
- The boyfriend enjoyed a round of golf while I was at the spa. He said the course was nice and took me back the next day to see all the iguanas on the course.
The staff at the hotel is very kind and really want to make sure you're happy. It can be somewhat over-bearing at times, but I prefer it to being ignored and/or lost.
We stayed in a room in the main building where you check in. I've read other reviews that complained about the "long walk" from that building to the beach and the pool, but I cannot agree. It is a very quick walk and in no way difficult. We enjoyed being on that side because it was near the restaurant where we had breakfast each morning, near the spa and pro shop. Maybe it is because we are New Yorkers and are used to walking, this didn't seem difficult, but it really isn't any more than a city block and the rooms are just as nice. We had a lovely view overlooking the other pool, the lagoon and parts of the golf course.
I can't comment on the beach as it was extremely rough due to the passing storm. We spent part of a day just sitting on the beach and it was comfortable and the chair service was mostly prompt.
I'm giving this trip a 4 out of 5 because I can't help but compare it to other Caribbean vacations I've had. While this resort is very good, it still isn't the best. If you go to Grand Cayman, though, I highly recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, a luxury two-tower resort where sparkling blue waters blend seamlessly with the sand and sky to create your perfect Caribbean oasis. Located on an archipelago of three picturesque islands, our Cayman Islands resort offers a breathtaking location unlike anywhere else on earth. From the white sands of Seven Mile Beach to world-renowned restaurants including Blue, by renowned seafood chef Eric Ripert, The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman luxury resort offers guests an unforgettable escape from the everyday. With a resort side including resort and garden view rooms and an ocean side for ocean view rooms the property runs from sound to sea. Residential towers are located on the ocean side. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, TravelUp, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Hotel.de so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman Hotel Seven Mile Beach
- Grand Cayman Ritz Carlton
- Ritz Seven Mile Beach
- Seven Mile Beach Ritz-Carlton
- The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman Cayman Islands