“Ritz Carlton - Is there such thing as a 6 star hotel?” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Connecticut
“Ritz Carlton - Is there such thing as a 6 star hotel?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2008

Let me tell you, this is probably the best 5-star hotel I've ever stayed in. However, because of that, you are paying 5-star rates for everything here. But it's situated in probably the best location on Seven Mile Beach. When you check in, not only do they take your luggage up for you, but you have a personal assistant that takes you to your room and explains to you the layout and the different amenities.

The employees are all very courteous, probably on par with Disney World. And they are so international as well (probably of the 30 employees I met, they came from 20 countries). Anyway, I stayed in an ocean side suite that was extremely clean and very well maintained. Housekeeping comes 3 times a day that I know of, including folding down the bed covers, fresh ice, and restock towels. Service was top notch from the check in, to the bellhops, to housekeeping, to restaurants and etc.

I did not use a lot of the amenities (e.g. spa) at the hotel but the first day I was there, I tried to do a couple of excursions over at the watersports on the beach area. Unfortunately I was too late, but what I found out is that they will let you borrow snorkeling gear for free after 5 pm for the length of your stay. I took them up on their offer and they showed me where to go out, about 200 yards up north on the beach from the Ritz then swim out 150 yards. The reefs were not the most beautiful I've ever seen, but there were numerous colorful fish. On one of my early snorkeling trips back, I even had a grey, white-spotted stingray swim under me along the sand! And the beach is very clean; great for doing early morning or sunset walks.

I ate at 2 of the hotels restaurants: 7 and Periwinkle - both of which I have to say, the food was quite good. I had a lobster dish at 7 in which it was 3 large local lobster tails which were tougher than Maine lobsters but surprisingly good.

BTW, there's 2 sides of the hotel which is separated by a busy road called West Bay Road, resort side (inland) and ocean side. The check in is on resort side, but you can cross over to the ocean side on a bridge on the 3rd level. As you cross, there's an art gallery of local artists which is really neat and you can also buy, very original to do that.

Overall, a great great hotel.

• Liked — Location, amenities, cleanliness, hospitality
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank eugenius20

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (672)
Austin TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2008

The Ritz Carlton is hands down the best hotel on the island, beautiful and immaculate inside and out. The service was excellent and I was pleasantly surprised more than once when staff addressed me by name in the hallway, which is impressive for a hotel with a thousand rooms (at first I thought I might be over-tipping).

The best hotel on the island also contains the best restaurant on the island - Blue by Eric Ripert, the famous New York chef. Yes you can expect Manhattan fine dining prices, but the food and service is the best you'll find on the island. If you like to dance, be sure to check out the "night club" atmosphere in the Ritz lounge on Friday nights. For lunch, try EATS Cafe, within easy walking distance from the Ritz.

Other good dining experiences on the island are the hip and fun Yoshi Sushi and Grand Old House for a romantic outdoor meal. The Havana Club is a good place to get a drink and cigar after dinner. Avoid Edoardo's, which is an over-hyped, overcrowded, and unauthentic Italian restaurant on a dirty alleyway.

One warning to scuba divers, don't book diving through the hotel since you'll pay a 10% premium. Also, dive boats will not pick you up on the Ritz beach, I believe it's hotel policy. In any case I wasn't particularly impressed with Red Sail (the hotel affiliated dive operator), and would recommend that you research dive operators separately and book diving direct. Find a smaller operator that will take you to the North Wall, which is where the best dive sites are. Aside from diving, rent a jeep and explore the island. The botanical gardens are a good morning trip, and horse riding along the beach at sunset is fun. Stingray city is a must, even if you're only snorkeling.

I hope this review helps you plan a great trip to Cayman!

Keith Sibson

Stayed February 2008
11 Thank Keith_Sibson
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2008

pleasant rooms, excellent amenities, great food, challenging golf course on the grounds. staff were first rate. many guests opt for the beach side but the off-beach portion of the property is less hectic with great pool and cabanas. actually appreciated the fact you had to rent the cabanas/covered chairs as it kept people from arbitrarily "reserving" them all day with their towels and beach bags. very child-friendly, yet adult environment...strikes a good balance for kids and parents.
kids enjoyed off-resort activities like turtle farm and butterfly garden. on resort activities include outdoor movies for kids, and dinner *in* the pool. no doubt we will return.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank CPRYYZ
Geneva, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2008

I really couldn't write a better review for this hotel. We were never let down in our 10 day stay.

First of all, this a first class, first service property. I have stayed at many Ritz Carlton's through the years, and most of them have been excellent. This property trumps them all. The service we received was outstanding in every aspect. The pool and beach staff were accomodating. They knew our family from day one and were always there to help us whenever we needed something. The location is beautiful. The white sand beach is breathtaking, as is the clear ocean water. We had more fun swimming out to the water hammocks and just resting in the waves. If you visit, try the Cayman Sunset. One of the tastiest beachy drinks you'll ever have.

The restaurants at the property were all good, Blue and Seven get very high marks from us. Periwinkle was good, and fun. Several nights we camped out on chaises and watched movies drive in style on their giant inflatable screen, the staff served us dinner and drinks right there. It was relaxing and FUN for our six year old.

The hotel is incredibly comfortable. Our oceanview room was beautiful, clean, comfortable, and spacious. The decor was lovely. The view, peaceful and breathtaking.

Our son participated in several of the Ritz Kids classes run by Jean-Michael Cousteau's Ambassadors of the Environment. He had a ball! The classes provided excellent lessons in solar energy, sand, snorkeling, recycling, aquatic life and many other things balanced with FUN activities. We didn't feel bad at all about him missing a few days of school. He had so much fun that he kept asking to take more classes!

We can't wait to return to this amazing property. In fact, I have a big birthday coming up in two years and while we'd originally thought we'd take our friends and their children to Cabo San Lucas, we've changed our minds and are starting to plan a huge birthday celebration at the Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman.

• Liked — Beautiful! Great Service!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank samlab25
Barcelona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2008

I stayed there last February with my husband. The room, the facilities and the little luxuries are everything I have come to expect from a 5 star hotel. But the remarkable thing here is that even though this is a very large hotel, you really got a feeling of staying somewhere much more personal and intimate. This is mainly due to the fact that the staff were so attentive and friendly and they always addressed us by our names

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank arabeela
dolcevitatravel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2008

First off Grand Cayman is a great island vacation. The island is very safe, no loitering, beautiful water and great restaurants.
As for the Ritz Carlton its the best on the island by far. This is my third time on the island and first at the Ritz Carlton. I,ve been to the Hyatt and Westin and they can't compare.
The RC propert is beautiful. Be aware that there are two sides to the resort , the oceanside (were I stayed and recommend) and the resort side. Both sides have there own pools and restaurants but the oceanside rooms come with a fantastic view of the beach and ocean. These rooms are higher in price but worth it.
I've been to many RC's before and this one was one of the best. There's really nothing else to say, if you want the best on the island this is were it's at. I loved it so much going back in April.

• Liked — hotel service,beach and beautiful water.
  • Disliked — hotel seperated in two by road connected by inclosed walkway bridge
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank dolcevitatravel
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2008

We arrived early and as our room was not quite ready they took our bags checked us in, gave us complimentary drinks and nibbles in the bar and a mobile phone they could call us on to let us know when the room was ready.

This has to be the best hotel I have ever stayed in. It is a vast with excellent and friendly staff from maids to the bartenders who take the time to know your name. For the girls expect to be pampered in the Silver rain beauty salon, where there are a whole host of treatments, with fluffy walls and seats, heated wheat neck pillows, fresh fruit, pastries, biscuits, lemon tea, green tea everything you need to make you feel healthy. Most important of all they have a Tiffany store onsite on the 1st floor, which was just down the hall from our room, much to my husbands dislike.

Rooms are spacious and everything you would expect from the Ritz, huge baths and large walk-in showers, his and hers sinks and turn down services with chocolates, wine, and a crackling fire places on the television.

World renowned restaurant Blue by Eric Ripert, which is very hard to get a reservation, we stayed there and were unable to get a table, so if you are interested it would be better to book beforehand or on arrival. Also the silver palm inside the hotel tends to come to life on a Friday night were they have a disco through out the evening. Nearly forgot they also have a sushi and wine bar were it is all made to order in front off you.

Several pool areas and a lagoon, which was a lovely site and I think there was a wedding there whilst we stayed. The main pool area leads onto the beach and Bar Jacks which tends to hand out free smoothies and cocktails whilst you sit tanning yourself. The only thing I would say was that you do tend to get the mentality of people laying towels down on loungers and then wondering back off to their rooms or shopping etc just to hold their place. The sand is white and exceptionally clean, sunsets to die for. If you come out of the hotel on the beach turn left and walk for about a mile you will come across a bar/shack which has live music, tourists and locals a like having a fantastic time we went there twice and sampled many types of Tortuga rum and walked back to the hotel rosy cheeked!

The island itself outside the hotel is lovely we hired a convertible PT Cruiser through the hotel and drove round for a couple of day’s sight seeing. Also ate a Champion House Grill and had the local cuisine. Would recommend the Mangrove Kayaking in the sunset, Hell, swimming with stingrays and the turtle farm (word of warning it is actually a farm, where they are grown to be eaten),

Highly recommended!!!