“Expensive, crowded, but the best hotel on Cayman”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
New York
“Expensive, crowded, but the best hotel on Cayman”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I agree with the other reviews that not all rooms have a good view, the pool and beach are crowded, it is very expensive, etc. However, compared to the other hotels on the island, there is no comparison, that is why they can charge what they charge, and if you are going on a special vacation, it is worth it in comparison to the other hotels.
The only other name brand hotels on the island are the Westin and the Marriott and two Marriott chains. The Westin is like a Holiday Inn and the Marriott has no beach, small pool and terrible "beach appeal" One of the Marriott affiliates is actually across the street from the beach. There are some condos that look nice, but this is the only luxury hotel on the island. The rooms, facility, decor, etc is typical Ritz quality and price. We've been here three times and have not been disappointed.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank AKK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (715)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed January 7, 2012

When you travel as a hobby, you start being picky, you start expecting more: attention, value, extras etc. Well if you don't mind pony'ing up a bit more here is your answer. From the bellman to the receptionist to the beach setup team this is by far the most responsive group of people I have ever encountered. Would love to come back soon.

Room Tip: Ask for the beach side, but know the whole hotel is connected.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I have stayed alot of nice hotels , New York , Chicago, Carmel , LA you name it . But I have been nowhere that the service and frienslyness beats this hotel - The food is gret , the people are great , the rooms are well kept - the beach is wonderfully clean , Just a wonderful experience

Room Tip: BTW the fitness club and Spa here at this hotel looks like a 24 hour fitness gym it is that large...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Markc_10
Birmingham, Michigan
Reviewed January 1, 2012

We, my family of 6 adults and one child of almost 2, just returned from a week at the Ritz. Our summary would be "just average." We stayed in one of the three bedroom residences with an ocean view but we mostly had a view of the condos next door to the resort. Here is our summary of the pros and cons...now, I know our cons are going to outweigh our pros and many people may think we should cut them a break because it was Christmas week, however, THEY KNEW WE WERE ALL COMING!
Pros...
1. The reception and check in process were outstanding! Except for the fact that the lobby area is very small for a resort this size and it was very hectic with Christmas activities, they knew our names immediately, escorted us to our rooms promptly, handled our luggage seamlessly and Leroy, our guest relations contact, was there to welcome us! Very professional. He was the only bright spot to our week.
2. We had a private chef cook our Christmas Eve dinner and it was exceptional. Expensive but it was a fun treat because we had been traveling all day and did not feel like going out.
3. The food at Periwinkle and Blue is exceptional. Those were our best meals at the property.

Cons....
1. The rooms are dated even though they were spacious on the residence side. They need to be freshened up in our opinion. The beds were old...you could tell cause ours had the hump in the middle from long wear...it was not very comfortable like you would expect from a Ritz bed!
2. The main pool was very crowded and LOUD! They played very loud music in the afternoon and it was annoying if you were trying to relax or read. I guess this is when you would head to the other side of the resort (not a short distance) to the other pool which is quieter.
3. The beach is way over-crowded!!!!! Row after row of chairs and basically unless you get up at 6:15am or somehow have a special arrangement for a front row, all you see is chairs and not the beautiful water. We realize this is because of the "key holing effect" which means that the resort is really two separate buildings. One across the road and one on the beach but the beach frontage is really only large enough for the beach front building but every one else comes to the beach too so they jam us all in. We have yet to figure out how the same people always got the front row chairs and it was very frustrating to us that they did not enforce their "two hour" rule. You can save chairs for two hours but you must show up during that window or you lose the chairs. The whole front row would sit empty often for close to the whole day before people would show up. This is ridiculous! With a toddler we would not be on the beach for very long so we could have sat there and been long gone before these people ever showed up.
4. The food at BarJack (the restaurant on the beach) was very slow, very expensive and not very good. Really? $40 for 2 glasses of wine?
5. The concierge service at the North tower was nowhere near the service you would expect from a Ritz. They were terrible at giving us directions to places and really no help recommending places to eat. Instead we used our internet and went on websites like trip advisor to do our own research.
Summary...
We spent a lot of money to be at this property (as everyone does) and it was not nearly the standard we are used to and love from the Ritz properties. It was a huge disappointment. When you splurge like this for a family trip, I expect to come away saying...wow, that was great not....wow, that was just average. We sensed that the resort was stretched to the max for the holidays and we were trying to be sympathetic but like I said at the beginning...THEY KNEW WE WERE ALL COMING!

Room Tip: Beach front rooms have a great view but overlook the loud pool area so it may be a toss up.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank LBCapital
St Louis
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Recently attended an annual conference hosted at the Ritz. I remember coming home after the 2010 conference and bragging about the amazing service I received at this property. However, after this 2011 visit I was a bit disappointed. As an event planner I have worked at many of the Ritz properties and have come to apprecate their level of commitment to service. But this time, it seems they have dropped the ball. I mean dont get me wrong, the property is gorgeous and sprawling. And I did not receive poor service. I just didnt receive the level of service that I usually receive from a Ritz property. The rooms have started to show their age, however they remain clean and tidy. They are just not anything to write home about. No refrigerator, poor water pressure, and the soaps/lotions are disappointing. The wireless internet signal from our room was 548 was poor, however I must say that others said they had no problem, so I am guessing it is just the room distance from the wireless access point. Never the less it made it extremely difficult to do work from my room, and when i called down to the front desk they said that I could go to the business center. Realy?

The biggest disappointment was the beach experience. I remember last year that about every 2 seconds it seemed like a waiter or waitress was coming around with water or asking if we needed something. Not this time...I could not get service for the life of me, I kept having to walk to the bar. NOT conveient. The other concern was there are very very few beach chairs that have umbrellas that are not broken. Also, there was only 1 beach attendant working all 3 days that we were there. And when he wasnt chatting with the only waitress on duty, he was too busy to help setup our towels, etc. There were (I counted) 16 total small tables for the entire beach that were not broken. So I had to sit my drink in the sand. Again this is not what I expect from a Ritz property. So my last day I went to the serenity/adult only pool. Where the attendant Oswaldo was amazing!!!! Ahhh...finally I was pampered.

I must note that I addressed all of these concerns either to someone on their property and filled out the survey they provided and unfortunately did not hear back about my concerns. I must say, that this property is beautiful, and it's right on the gorgeous 7 mile beach. The proximity to the airport is excellent! I guess I had just been spoiled on my previous visit.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank Branchtraveler
Guernsey
Reviewed December 28, 2011

I stayed here overnight on a business trip so I did not have the time to use the facilities. I tried the Japanese restaurant on arrival - the food was excellent. And breakfast was well cooked and speedy. The room itself was well equipped and comfortable with good bathroom facilities etc. What you would expect from the Ritz Carlton. The staff were all very polite and helpful. I would go back for a longer stay - the pool area looked clean and attractive.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed December 28, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at the Ritz-Carlton property in Grand Cayman with our two children (under the age of 10) and another family. I think that it’s important to recognize exceptional service when you receive it and our vacation was marked by the incredible service we received. From beginning to end the service and the staff at the hotel were EXCEPTIONAL. I cannot say enough good things about them.
First, the hotel layout. Half of the hotel is on the ocean with a beautiful beach. A number of units on the ocean side are privately owned. There is also a small shop and two of the restaurants. The other side of the hotel is across the street, you get from one side to another by an overpass or by crossing the street (it’s a 4 minute walk). On the bay side, there are more rooms, a number of the restaurants, the Club lounge, reception, the spa, the gym, the kids club and a more quiet pool area.
Next, the rooms. We booked a Blue Tip suite on the Club level but we were upgraded to a residential suite on the ocean side. The room was great. We had a washer/dryer, full eat in kitchen, pull out bed, and we could walk outside to a patio. There was more than enough room for the 4 of us and there was more than enough closet and drawer space for our clothes. Food-we are a family of foodies, my husband and I love to eat (and cook) and my kids do as well. The food at the hotel was fantastic. The breakfast buffet at 7 (one of the restaurants) is great, there is a huge selection. The food at the pool was very good and the servers were great about special requests (ie I asked them to chop my salad and take certain things out of my salad). Dinner at Periwinkle was TERRIFIC. We had a pumpkin ravioli dish (it’s called something else but it’s pumpkin) that came with the most incredible tomatoes I have ever eaten. I later found out how the tomatoes are made (roasted for 6 hours). There were also many other good things there. We ate there twice. The best thing about it is there is a lawn next to the restaurant. Every night the hotel sets up lounge chairs on the lawn and shows a Disney movie on an outdoor screen. It is great because they will serve your kids their food while the kids watch a movie and you can sit at the restaurant and have a good meal. The sushi place, Taikun, was good, very fresh fish, the spicy items were great. We ate at Blue (the Eric Ripert restaurant) and had the tasting menu-it was a culinary experience. The tuna foie gras lived up to the hype. We also ate off premises a few times. There are a number of good restaurants but a number of them are 20 + minutes away and the cab ride was $50+. So we ended up just eating the great food at the hotel. The activities at the hotel were great. You could go on the beach and get mats, snorkeling gear, kayaks, paddle boards or a water tricycle free of charge. The main pool was very fun for the kids and the attendants around the pool were very nice. We went to Calico Jack’s beach (20 minutes walk or a quick cab ride) and did a banana boat ride for $10 pp. We also did the WOW balls there. We had so much fun! You go into a giant beach ball and they blow it up and push you into the water. You are tethered to the attendant and you flop around inside. It is hysterical to watch! The kids loved it. One piece of advice-it’s very hot inside. We also did Captain Marvin’s snorkel/stingray trip as opposed to the one through the hotel. Captain Marvin’s is shorter (1 snorkel/1 stingray) and less expensive. It was so beautiful, so interesting and soooo much fun!
Even though our room was not on the club level we got club access for the 4 of us. We could have eaten every meal in the club. The staff in the club was exceptional, they brought personal service and attention to a whole new level. Mercedes and the other staff members made special accommodations for my son’s food allergies and always made sure there was food for him. They change up the food every day so there was always something new to try. The Ambassadors of the Environment kids program was great. There are so many activities to choose from. We wanted to do two of the activities so the staff combined them into one program. I highly recommend it for kids of all ages.
Here’s some of the special stuff- While we were having dinner one night, Arjun, the director of the restaurants at the hotel, came over and introduced himself to us. We chatted with him and my friend mentioned he liked cannolis and we would be having dinner at Blue in two nights. I told Arjun that the kids like to cook. Arjun found us the next day and told us about a special activity he planned for the kids. He had us go to Periwinkle (3 kids and the 2 moms) and meet with Sous Chef Jordan. Chef Jordan gave the kids a tour of the kitchen, explained how the chefs do all the prep work, showed us the pizza oven and explained how to make pizza. Then he showed us a station in the middle of the kitchen that they set up for the 5 of us to make pizza. Each person had their own personalized chef hat signed by each cook/chef in the kitchen. We all got our own dough, sauce, cheese and various toppings (including French fries for the kids) and we made our own pizzas. While the pizzas were in the oven, they showed up how to make smoothies. Besides being a talented chef, Chef Jordan was kind to us and very patient and engaging with the kids. It was an amazing experience for the kids and one of the highlights of our trip. Arjun also arranged for a special extra course at our dinner at Blue-cannoli cream with candied pistachios-it was an incredible special touch!
A few other things, the gym was nice but I heard it gets crowded during peak season. There was an instructor, Diego, who did several classes every day free of charge. He arranged to do a special body sculpting class for me and my friend free of charge because the class times didn’t fit into our schedules.
My husband, son and our friends golfed on the 9 hole golf course and really liked it.
We have stayed at several Ritz properties and have enjoyed them all. This trip was truly amazing. We got so much attention from the staff that we felt like we were the only guests at the hotel and like we were VIPS. That is a pretty incredible accomplishment considering the size of the property and the number of guests. I applaud the hotel and the staff. They are doing an excellent job and we will certainly return to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family