“Kids Program - Probably the best anywhere!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
East Texas
“Kids Program - Probably the best anywhere!”
Reviewed November 25, 2007

We are a family of 5 traveling with three daughters (ages 3,6,9) for Thanksgiving week on Nov. 20-25. We have spent other vacations at other Ritz-Carlton properties and wondered how this one would compare to the Ritz Amelia Is., FL. Which was awesome. Well, it was at least just as good and maybe a bit better in part because of the incredible kids program, “Ambassadors of the Environment” in Grand Cayman.
Rooms were great. We had 2 connecting rooms on the pool side of the property. Beds amazing. Bathrooms great size and layout. It’s a Ritz, what can I say!
The Kids program is truly unmatched. I’m not one to go on vacation and send my kids off, but this program was so exceptional that not only did I agree to let them go every day, but I had to stipulate that they could only do one activity per day. They wanted to go all day every day! Parents are encouraged to participate in all of the activities with the kids. We all went on the submarine ride as a family. It was a remarkable experience none of us will forget. I can’t say enough about the program.
Golf – My other half is an avid “scratch” golfer. He said that the Blue Tip course was tough especially if you play the “tips”. Very challenging. Staff was pleasant, helpful. Too bad the driving range is going away in January ’08. That’s a big deal for him not to have access to a range. It might even be a deal-killer for future trips.
Babysitting – On our last night, we hired a baby sitter for our 3 year old (2 older kids begged to go to Kids program) so we could go to the gourmet “Blue” restaurant for an adult dinner. I have never hired a sitter on vacation. We used “Capable Caregivers” recommended by hotel. The sitter was fantastic. My daughter lover her sitter.
The food was REALLY good all over the resort. Of course it was pricey, but you know that when you stay at a Ritz. The last night we ate at Blue, the most upscale of the restaurants. I like to think I’m pretty forward thinking in terms of gourmet food, but this was over the top. We didn’t care for it at all, but it may appeal to others. The service was outstanding, as it was all over the resort.
This was a first rate resort and we enjoyed every minute of it.

• Liked — Weather, kids program, activitied
  • Disliked — Charge for internet usage really annoying. Should have free work station to check email.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank Major-big-traveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
USA
Reviewed November 12, 2007

Stayed Nov 3-9th, amazing property, somewhat isolated, so keeps you buying and eating on the resort. Restuarants nearby, but no great sidewalk for strollers, so watch out for traffic, British rules apply on the roads. Eats Cafe to the north. Fosters, grocery store to the south. Liquor store by Fosters. Everything closed on Sundays.

Concierge staff very helpful. would even make international calls for me, and let me use their computer for internet access. Use Leroy, he is very knowledgeable and aggresive in getting things done.

We got takeout from Periwinkle, and ate by the pool and in our room. Restuarant Seven is also great, breakfast buffet and sunday brunch, a bit over priced compared to USA brunches of this type. 15% tip already on everything, so don't add unless you want to.

Many free rentals at the beach for hotel guests. Renting a car is easy at the 5th floor AVIS, they bring the car to the hotel within 10 minutes. AMEX FHR worthwhile, centurion even better.

If not satisfied with anything, mention it, and the staff does something about it, usually crediting the cost. Charge everything to the room if possible, makes it easy to credit. Very accommodating, but you have to ask.

Stayed November 2007
5 Thank DeaconFrost1
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 11, 2007

Pros: Amazing property. Wonderful service. Complimentary access to spa facilities. Staff were delightful, and very responsive.
Cons: Food is very expensive. Garden side of the property overlooks two parking lots.

We were upgraded to receive club level access and loved it - the food presentations 5x per day were spectacular. There,the champagne flows freely!

The restaurant bleu was well worth the price.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — price of food
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank cgr
jonesboro, arkansas
Reviewed November 9, 2007

I stayed hers for 4 nights with my family for a meeting. At the group rate I paid about $250 U.S. including tax a night for a garden view room.
The service and comfort provided were outstanding, from the cookies and juice served at check in, to the comfortable rooms.
My wife and I were celebrating an anniversary. On mentioning this to the hotel, we were delighted to get a complimentary bottle of champagne one day and chocolate strawberries another.
My wife had a 1 hour aromatherapy massage at the Silver Rain Spa and felt very satisfied with it, the price tag for this was $200 including a 20% service charge.
We felt very happy with the great service and friendly attitude of every single employee we encountered.
The pool and beach are very nice.We spent most of our leisure time on the beach as we didn't want to travel with a toddler. She loved the pool.
Food throughout the resort and the island are pretty pricey due to the lower value of the US dollar relative to the Cayman dollar. Also a 20% service charge is added everywhere.
Good deals food wise were the Eats Cafe 1 block from the hotel in one direction. 1 block from the hotel in the other direction is a well stocked supermarket and some liquor stores and a good Indian Restaurant. Also the Cupboard Snack Bar at the hotel had sandwiches and breakfast items.
If I missed anything it was having some good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. There was not too much within walking distance except for a few liquor stores and a supermarket. Even though I loved the hotel, it is good to have options.
Overall, I found the experience relaxing and of high quality, although the prices for food on the island were above average.

• Liked — superior comfort, service
  • Disliked — food prices, though this is true throughout the island
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank pvel
Iowa
Reviewed November 9, 2007

We just returned from the Ritz (November 2007), following a quick 4 day/three night trip. This was without a doubt my favorite 'warm' vacation experience, and the best hotel I've ever been to in the tropics.

We were originally booked to stay at the Marriott on Grand Cayman. We dutifully checked in, and were underwhelmed with the Marriott property. It was a tired, older hotel, and the beach has eroded almost to the point of there being nothing left. The Marriott's grounds were unimpressive, with fountains not working, landscaping needing work, etc. Our room was also very humid, and showed many signs of needing a freshening up.

After checking in, we took a long walk down the beach, and finally came to the Ritz. We were immediately blown away by their property, and marched straight to the front desk to see if a room was available. As luck would have it, a cancellation had been made, and we got an ocean front room. We ditched our Marriott room, but they would not provide a refund, so we paid for our entire Marriott room as well.

I can't say enough good things about the Ritz. The handful of people complaining about the Ritz on this website...I have a hard time understanding what on earth the problem was. The food was fantastic, the staff was superb (everyone smiled, everyone was courteous and helpful, and also called you "sir"). The rooms were so quiet--how often does one get a good sleep in a hotel? I don't think I heard any noise from the hall or other rooms at night the entire trip, and I am a light sleeper.

Of course, it is hugely expensive. Don't go here if you are worried about money. It will cost you $5 for a Coke, lunch will cost $70 for two people, and dinner more. But, I think considering the service, quality, and scale of the property, this is a relative bargain.

We are going back in February, this time taking our daughter. Go and enjoy!

• Stayed November 2007
5 Thank nwh1774
seattle
Reviewed October 31, 2007

Stayed at the RC for 10 days. Service is excellent and the staff very friendly.......as is to be expected from a hotel of this price and stature.

My complaint is the food quality. The breakfast buffet reminded me of a my last trip to Reno. Bacon you could see through. Low quality breakfast sausage. The eggs benedict I could not put a knife through the muffin-no joke. These are breakfasts that cost $60-70 for 2 people. As for dinner, we did eat there twice. Once in the restaurant 7 and once on the beach in a rented cabana. With drinks we spent $400 each time ($600 including the cabana.) The food quality was very average. I've had much better prime rib at the Keg or Black Angus for 1/10th of the price. My complaint is not so much the price but the lack of value for the dollar.
We did quickly find other restaurant/bars that served delicious food and in very ambient beach settings around the island. My advice is to enjoy the service and smiles of the employees of the resort. But consider other options when it comes to dining.

• Liked — beach access and service
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank surfperchin
nova scotia
Reviewed October 27, 2007

To celebrate our anniversary, we decided to splurge a little and try the Ritz. We have been to many top rated hotels but this one was definitely the best..and in all ways. The resort/room were fantastic (we had an incredible ocean view), the staff could not have been more pleasant and accommodating (hi Leroy), the beach was outstanding and the food was to die for. By far the best resort that we have experienced.
The restaurant Blue was outstanding. I had the sampling menu with the wine option - one of my best meals ever! Hint: the wine option is very good value.
While the prices may seem high, we felt that the quality and service provided good value. We cannot wait to go back!

• Liked — Seven mile beach location.
  • Disliked — Long way to travel (but it was worth it).
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple