“Our most Fabulous Caribbean Vacation with the kids!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman

The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
washington dc
“Our most Fabulous Caribbean Vacation with the kids!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2007

This review is way overdue.....This place is definitely THE place
to stay in Grand Cayman if you want LUXURY!!!! Our family of
five absolutely loved this resort!!! Our welcome greeting was
superb as well as the service throughout our stay. Every single
employee at this hotel made our family (including the children)
feel so welcome and were making sure we were having a
fantastic stay.Our room was very nice and the dozen of fresh cookies with my childrens names was a nice touch. We had a resort view room
which you are not on the oceanside.....but, I can't see why people
complain about this for it is a pleasant walk through this beautiful
hotel. The food is delicious and the Sunday Brunch is a must.....
you will be amazed!!! The pools and beach are beautiful as well. Our children loved the Ambassadors kids
program......the staff is phenominal!! Adrian and Septimia were
exceptional!! The private boat to Stingray Sandbar was worth
every penny. Oh, and the SPA.........what a dream!!! It was heaven
on earth!!! There truly isn't one negative thing to say about this
resort . In fact, so many good things I have to add one more.
MARVIN........ who makes the most fantastic omelettes was
so pleasant every morning and do get him to make you one of his famous shrimp crepes if you get a chance to go to the brunch..... It is to die for!! We ate mostly at the hotel but did
go to a few restaurants outside the hotel. Deckers was awful,
the lobster was way overcooked. Ragazzi's and Eats were
good and within walking distance. Finally, we have been to a lot
of places in the Caribbean and this resort really has it all!!

• Liked — Everything....but my favorite was the beach!
  • Disliked — The busy street in front of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank 5luvcaribe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (672)
Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2007

This was our first visit to the Caymans and also with a Ritz hotel. We traveled with another couple and were both upgraded upon arrival to oceanview rooms. This is the best time to go to the Caymans b/c it is not crowded at all. The Ritz has great room service and the best turndown service ever. The breakfast at the Seven was wonderful. Drinks are expensive at the Ritz though. I would recommend Eats for breakfast or lunch. Best value on the island. We also liked Deckers for dinner. Caymans is by far the most expensive caribbean island that we have experienced. Also I would recommend doing the Sting Ray City dive/snorkel with Deep Blue Divers which only allows small groups and personal service!

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Price of drinks
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank CSLS
Fort Myers, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2007

This is the first time, in more than 11 years as a guest at various Ritz-Carlton locations worldwide, that I have been disappointed. Even most of the good points that i mention below had an offsetting weakness.

The good points

Like most Ritz-Carlton properties, this hotel is undeniably gorgeous. The decor throughout the hotel is stunning. It is located on the beach only 15 minutes (20 in traffic) from the airport. Aside from the excellent restaurants in the hotel, there are several very good restaurants within a short walk.

The rooms are very large and possibly the best-appointed of any hotel at which I have ever stayed.

Quality of the food -- even the stuff served up en masse at the conference I attended -- was superb almost beyond words and, for the Cayman Islands, reasonably priced. The hotel's flagship restaurant, Blue, is truly world class (but closed on Sunday and Monday). The only difficulty with Blue is that it is almost impossible to make up one's mind when reviewing the menu. Close your eyes and point. It's all good. You can't go wrong.

Not so good:

Avoid room service. Although accurate and reasonably prompt (1/2 hour), they add 20% gratuity plus another hefty service charge to the bill. Soup and sandwiches for two in one's room, without drinks, can quickly top US$ 90.

The breakfast and lunch buffets in the "7" restaurant offer good -- but not memorable -- quality and selection. Like most hotel buffets, the breakfast and lunch buffets are a little pricey. People with less hearty appetites might get better value from the a la carte menu.

Internet access (both wired and wireless) is extremely good, but priced at almost US$ 20 per day. This is outrageous in an age when hotels at less than 1/3 the price provide it free.

The disappointments:

Service is supposed to be what differentiates the Ritz-Carlton chain from other hotels. At the Grand Cayman property, however, service was simply not up to Ritz-Carlton standards that I have experienced in other of their properties. There is a veneer of good service, but it quickly deteriorates.

The check-in at Reception was welcoming enough, but flawed. The reception clerk did not tell us that direct billing had not in fact been set up, even though I asked him to confirm it. Instead he took a small pre-authorization for incidentals.

The hotel never advised us that the direct billing had not been set up until the morning of check-out, when I received a pre-bill that was more than US$ 1,000 more than I expected. I had to spend much of my last morning at the hotel arranging with my bank to transfer funds into the account that I use to fund out-of-pocket incidental travel expenses, rather than on the beach as I had hoped.

The inconvenience was not that the direct billing had not been set up, but that no one informed me about the problem for five days.

Reception also failed to inform us at check-in that our hotel charge included breakfast for only one person, and not for the two registered guests that had been reserved and registered.

Although I expressed my dissatisfaction at check-out, there was no offer or attempt at recovery, nothing such as "What can we do to make it right?" Instead, I was told that they were "sorry that you feel that you were inconvenienced." I wonder whether they care if I ever return.

We were chairing a two-day conference of approximately 70 delegates. The conference staff were among the very best with whom we have ever worked in the past 11 years anywhere in the world.

The housekeeping staff was fabulous, with attention to detail and a friendliness that are unknown in most hotels.

Things go downhill quickly from there. We found some of the servers to be minimally attentive -- doing just the bare minimum to avoid poor service, but no proactive. Some have only marginal fluency in English.

The hotel might have recurring problems with its septic system. One day during our stay there was a very strong smell of raw sewage in some of the corridors, with no apologies to the guests. Most hotels would at least slip a note of apology under the door.

Guest Services were friendly, but they never made the easy effort required to realize that my wife and I have different surnames (as we checked in) and to address each of us using the correct name when we contacted them. They guessed wrong at least 50% of the time -- amusing at first and then just annoying.

The bell staff were slow. When we checked in, our bags were not delivered at to our room until we called, about an hour after we arrived in the room. It took more than 20 minutes for bellman to pick up our bags at checkout. When we telephoned, after 10 minutes, to inquire, the bell captain did not apologize , but made a flippant remark about having sent their "fastest man." It would have been better if he had simply explained why there had been a delay. (A simple "oops -- we forgot" would have been better.)

Some of this might sound nitpicking, but a hotel that holds itself up as offering flawless service -- and charging accordingly for it -- deserves extra scrutiny.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank NKC
Charlotte
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2007

Service was excellent and staff really wanted to help in any way possible. All of the staff were knowledgeable and provided many helpful hints. Eduardo at the front desk was extremely helpful even though my reservations somehow were lost. We stayed the week of September 24th and were surprised to find the resort as well as most of the island deserted and we loved it. We were able to get front row beach seating any time of the day and were able to go to any restaurant which appears to be a problem at other times’ of the year. Our room was serviced twice a day every day and we found that the staff would work around our schedule. Godfrey at the pool bar made great drinks and was very helpful. In addition to EATS which has already been mentioned I would also suggest Copper Falls which is just south of the hotel, great steaks and a fabulous chocolate pecan pie. One place to avoid is Champion II. It was suggested as a place to get local flavor but besides being in an unsavory neighborhood the service was terrible and the manager “lost” the phone number we gave him for our taxi driver, not calling him and not bothering to tell us although we were standing in front of the store for 15 minutes. The Ritz came through and sent a car to come and get us. In general we were surprised by the lack of taxis. If you go at all out of the beaten path you’ll need to call for a ride as they aren’t just sitting around as they are in many places.

Stayed September 2007
6 Thank djp001
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2007

We have just returned from a week at the Ritz-Carlton and had an absolutely brilliant time. The hotel is amazing & we couldn't have asked for a better room - ocean front, right in the middle and at the top !!

I had read a lot of reviews prior to going and most people complained about the cost of the hotel & the automatic addition of 15% gratuity. We did not find the costs at the hotel more than our expectation - it is a 5* hotel - and 15% is generally added to everything across the island anyway (being British & not used to the level of tipping you get in the US, we were happy for this to be auto added for us anyway !!)

The service we received in our room was 1st class. We were kept stocked up with water and the mini bar was emptied within an hour of requesting, allowing us to use this as a fridge.

The main pool was our favourite. Be warned, in places this is 10ft deep, and the most shallow parts are still 4ft (therefore not really suitable for kids).

The turtle farm was excellent - you must swim in the lagoon. This was virtually empty which made this so much better. This time of year seemed to be ideal as not so many people generally on the island.

Hiring a car for a few days is also a must to explore the island (Avis on the 5th floor of the hotel).

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kasian
South West UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2007

This is our second time in Cayman - the first we stayed at the Hyatt Regency which was sadly damaged from Hurricane Ivan.

This time we spent 7 blissful nights at the Ritz Carlton. We arrived the first day it had reopened after Hurricane Dean, and were were upgraded to an ocean front room - and what a room it was! Really beautiful, with a large bathroom (stocked full of Bvlgari products), incredibly comfortable beds, slippers, dressing gowns, great turndown service.

The staff could not do enough, from complementary iced flannels handed out to you on the beach, to fruit sticks, to yoghurt smoothies. Service was fantastic and I didn't think that the drinks or food was overpriced, contrary to some reviews on here.

Oh, and fantastic breakfasts!

My daughter was crying one morning because she had a tummy ache, and one of the ladies at front desk asked for our room number. When we got back to our room, on my daughters bed was a little letter for her with a soft toy, saying they hoped she had stopped crying now and to accept this gift to cheer her up! Amazing!

We just loved our stay, the staff could not do enough for you, incredibly friendly and accommodating, the food was wonderful, the hotel is definitely the best on Cayman - everywhere is totally immaculate - my husband and I used to laugh because even with people traipsing in and out from the beach I never once saw a speck of sand inside the building. We cannot wait to return.

• Liked — Wonderful accommodation, lovely staff, perfect food....
  • Disliked — There was nothing I did not like!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank Mel72
Belmont, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2007

Just returned from a fabulous vacation at the Ritz Carlton, Grand Cayman Island. The reviews thus far are pretty much spot on. The resort is beautiful, and the service is the best. Here are some brief notes on a few things we did:

Seven En Fuego, restaurant at the Ritz, for the Thursday evening Lobster/Steak Buffet: we are not buffet people, but this dinner was fabulous. Everything was fresh and delicious, especially the made-to-order Bananas Foster.

Seven-breakfast buffet---very good; it was included in our Reconnect package--made it easy.

Barjack--poolside lunch--I thought this was quite good; we had fresh fish sandwiches, fruit, salad, and drinks at the pool. The food prices were reasonable; the frozen drink prices were a little high, but not unexpected.

Lone Star--we ate a quick no-frills dinner here of tacos and quesadillas--just ok, but a cool atmosphere.

The Wharf---we went here for Happy Hour on Friday night; great drinks, great outdoor waterside atmosphere.

Blue--an absolute treat; glad we splurged.

ChickenChicken!--like a really good/fresh Boston Market--good cheap eats.

OK--enough of the food--activities:

Snorkel excursion to Stingray Sandbar-Captain Marvins; a very fun, must-do experience.

SCUBA--2-tank dive to the North Wall with Deep Blue Divers, formerly Red Baron Diving--they were fabulous--I HIGHLY recommend them! So knowledgeable, safe, and fun. They went out of their way to help a novice like me!!! Patrick and Rick were wonderful.

Gym at the Ritz--very nice, new--ideal workout spot for a resort.

We had a fabulous time; very hot weather, but gorgeous. I highly recommend the Ritz Carlton.

• Liked — Gorgeous setting and great service.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple