“Great location, small resort, huge rooms” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Cayman Beach Suites

Grand Cayman Beach Suites
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Denver, Colorado
“Great location, small resort, huge rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I was in GC for a convention and did not want to stay that the large conference facility that's off the beach. I wanted something right on 7 mile beach and choose the Cayman Beach Suites based on reviews here, This is a great location on the beach. Its a smaller resort so your not running into thousands of people. The room was a huge suite with a nice view of the beach and pools. Good restaurants and friendly staff. Red sail sports is right in the hotel for activities. Lots of things within walking distance too.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Chris80202

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Just wrapped a week at the Beach Suites. Check in was smooth, staff was nice and got me squared away with my room. I was in a 1 Bedroom with French balcony. While on the 3rd floor, I did not really have an ocean view as advertised; it was more of a pool and tree view. The room was nicely furnished, had a large living area, large bedroom and large bath. Bed was comfortable. Bathroom was large and have nice amenities.

The pool area and beach area are smaller than some other the other properties on the 7 Mile beach but very nice. I liked the lounge chairs had like your own sort of private cabana.

A big part of my trip was to do some diving. The Red Sail Sport diving operations are based out of the property, there was a place to store dive gear, lots of options everyday for dives. Some dives leave right from the beach, otherwise it was a quick shuttle over to the other dock for dives heading out to the North Wall, Rum Point, Sting Ray City. Was totally happy with the Red Sail diving experience – it was perhaps one of the best things about this property.

Food options onsite are very good. Hemmingway’s is solid. Deckers across the street is solid, they do an all you can eat lobster deal that is epic. Pool food and grill was fine as well.
One negative of the pool area was the pool bar. From some reason the amount of flies back there was pretty nasty. There were literally hundreds of flies landing on the bar top and bar back areas. Seemed unsanitary.

Be warned the Internet is expensive and was very slow and would dropout often.

In general I felt the staff was lacking training, attention to detail, it was hit or miss if they were friendly or not. I tired to stay an extra night, things were book up but rather that being honest with me my request sort of dragged on. I was told someone would get back to me, no one did. I was told I needed to speak to the manager, but that person was never available. I would have preferred for them to be honest and direct with me rather than non-committal.

In the end, the Grand Cayman Beach Suites was ok but I am not sure it was a great value for the money. The room was nicer than a typical hotel room but it falls short on the little things.

Room Tip: You want a higher floor, and room closer out toward the beach, otherwise you have a mostly pool view...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank dirkstir
Harrisburg, PA.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My wife, son (14) and I just returned from an 8 day 7 night stay at the Grand Cayman Beach Suites. We originally booked a one bedroom Suite, but upon arrival we were upgraded to a two bedroom suite free of charge. What a great way to start the vacation!!!

For those that do not want to read this entire review, this Hotel is a small boutique style hotel that could cater to singles, families with children and/or couples. The grounds, rooms and associated amenities are all exceptionally maintained/manicured. The staff were incredibly helpful without hesitation. We have been to many beaches (North Shore/Hawaii, Riviera Maya/Mexico, Negril/Jamaica, Punta Cana/Dominican Republic), but this was one of the most beautiful specifically for it's white sandy beaches and crystal clear blue waters. There was no need for water shoes and that is something we can't say for other beaches in the Caribbean that we have visited in the past. All in all this was a great hotel and we would highly recommend the GCBS to anyone!

Suite: #8207 (2nd floor)

Our room was located on the 2nd floor and our entrance faced the CONSTRUCTION. Yes as noted a deluge of times in other reviews were knew about the construction. While in our room were did not hear them at all. I believe that the fans and air conditioning helped drown out the construction noise. While on the beach you could hear the construction sounds....barely. Not an issue at all for us! The rooms were immaculate, very clean and roomy. The 2 bedroom suite was very spacious and beautifully designed. Beds were VERY comfortable. Our room had 2 patios...the one off the main living area was small and crescent shaped and while the master bedroom had a full size patio with a table and chairs. The kitchen had a small fridge, microwave, toaster and coffee maker. Perfect size for a small family. We decided to eat breakfast and lunch in the room and dine out. This was attributed to our first night dinner bill of $145.00 USD with gratuity. That was for our family of three that consisted of an appetizer, three entrees and NO dessert. :))

Beach:

Small but beautiful. Absolutely no problems with beach chairs. On our third day they put out brand new loungers....excellent!! Sand was white, pure and clean. Water was crystal clear and different shades of blue. Red Sail Sports is on site for easy rental of water sports equipment.

Grounds and Staff:

The grounds were well kept and immaculate. There were no issues with any grumpy staff on our vacation at all. All of the staff were extremely helpful and were more than willing to answer questions. Complimentary Fitness Center was equipped just adequately and you could just get a workout to maintain your regimen. Special recognition to Cassandra (Front Desk) and Stacey (Beach Bar) for their exceptional knowledge and daily graciousness.

Excursions:

Captain Marvin's: We did the three stop trip which consisted of two snorkeling stops and Stingray City. Captain Denward was cordial and extremely helpful. Being a native Caymanian, he had a wealth of knowledge and his staff were equally impressive. Our trip was in the morning (10:00-1:00) and the Stingray City was very crowded. If you choose to avoid the crowds do the afternoon trip, which I think is from 2:30-5:30) IMO this excursion is probably the most bang for your buck at $40 USD per person.

Restaurants:

Hemingways - We patronized this restaurant the first night and is located at our Beach Suites. The service was good and the food was average. Our family of three dined for $145 USD, which included the gratuity. For the price, this restaurant was average at best!

Deckers - Located right across the street from the Beach Suites. Service and food were both excellent. $125 USD was well worth the $$$ and this restaurant eventually became our favorite place to dine!

Sunshine Grill - Restaurant was busy and we expected that from all the previous reviews. We waited about 25 minutes, but it was worth the wait. Food, service and atmosphere were all excellent. Ingredients were all fresh and prepared perfectly. $89.00 USD with gratuity was worth the $$$. TripAdvisor rating was accurate!!!

Al La Kabob - This is a very small food stand. It is good for something quick and simple. Our bill was $40 USD for an average tasting, but quick meal. A nice reprieve from the $120+ dinner bills.

Chicken Chicken - A very small restaurant with limited seating which was located in a strip mall. Food was very good and fresh. This place is also a good alternative for health conscious eaters like myself! Portions were very large and well worth the trip for $52.00 USD.

All in all our family had a great vacation!! There are plenty of activities to keep anyone of any age busy. The only remotely negative we had was that the cost to dine out is extremely high, especially if you have a family of 3 or more. Expect to pay $125.00+ for dinner.

We loved everything about the Beach Suites and would patronize this Hotel again in a heart beat!!!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views of the beach/ocean.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
16 Thank AKL_HBG
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Great hotel for the price for sure! We took our trip back in October 2012. We had a minor service request as soon as we arrived in the room (one of the blinds was not working) and were impressed by the immediate response. Room service was prompt and food was very good. The front desk staff is friendly and helpful. When we wanted to save some money, the kitchen provided clean dinnerware and basic equipment in great condition. The living area was very comfortable, lots of room at the desk to plug in your electronics. The outdoor area was great for just laying about and relaxing, the pools were clean, plenty of chairs/umbrellas at the beach, etc. There was plenty to do without getting in a vehicle: a floating trampoline about 1/4 mile out into open sea, water craft rentals on-site were convenient, drinks at the swim-up bar while waiting on burgers from the restaurant. If you bring your own snorkeling equipment all you have to do is walk a few feet to the beach and enjoy! Fine dining at Hemingway's or Deckers across the street is excellent and Ragazzi is within walking distance. Really, what you see in the videos is what you get. We definitely recommend GCBS!

Room Tip: We paid a little extra for the room with the full balcony and it was worth it. We didn't have to...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Mexicansunrise
Milford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

The beach suites was a beautiful property to stay at. It is by far the most gorgeous stretch of beach we have ever visited. The sand is white powder and the water was clear and blue. The room is huge with plenty of closet space and a kitchenette, which is good to store snacks and drinks. There is a liquor store across the street and a grocery store a short walk away which you can take a cart home from. (They pick it up at the end of the day). It is right across the street from deckers which was probably the best meal we had on the island (all you can eat lobster night).
The caymans are super expensive as far as food goes, but almost every meal we had was delicious. One great find we found right on the property was sidebar, which had a daily happy hour with half price drinks and 50 cent wings. It was by far the best deal we found on the island and we went there almost daily. The beach bar had really good food too, and was also fairly priced considering it is a hotel restaurant. I would recommend taking the free shuttle to the Britannia for breakfasts, unfortunately we found out about them on the day we left. I thought the breakfast was much better than hemingways, usually I would just try and hold out for lunch because it just wasn't worth the cost.
The girls at the front desk were very helpful, we had a tour cancel at the last minute and she had us on another one within 15 minutes, as well as helped us get the photographs from the tour we were waiting for. I recommend having them do the bookings for you, they are nothing but pleasant and I didn't realize until the end of the trip that every local phone call we made was $1.50.
Finally the biggest part of our vacation-- my fiancée and I decided to get married after we had already booked the vacation. Marina Flynn the wedding coordinator was amazing, and put everything together for us very easily. Photographer, minister, and even offered to pick me up from my hair and makeup so that I wouldn't melt in the heat. It was a beautiful day for us and that is mostly due to Marina's efforts.
The construction wasn't ideal to look at everyday, as our room was on that side, but it was just the walkway to the door. The balconies overlook the pool area. The noise rarely bothered us.
The hotel never felt crowded, there was never a problem getting a beach chair, and all in all we just had a great time.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room not on the construction side, it's just kind of a let down to look at...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Catherine J
Pearland, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This hotel has so many positives!

1. Ideal location on seven mile beach as it is midway and so you can walk to so many restaurants.
2. Rooms are ideal for families. The kitchenette is so useful to save some money as Grand Cayman restaurants are so expensive. We had a one bedroom with full balcony on 5th floor which had a great view and updated.
3. The beach is perfect. Relatively quiet as hotel is small.
4. Staff are fabulous. Very helpful in all aspects.
5. Pools are very kid friendly.
6. Hemmingway's restaurant is very picturesque.

A few weaknesses:
1. Pool bar was closed many times even when not raining
2. they have no areas around pool to enjoy your own food if wanted. Now I understand that most of the area needs to be saved for people eating at hotel restaurants, but a small area would be nice.
3. There is construction next door, but it was relatively quiet the weak we were there. If a great concern, book room with full balcony as opposed to walk out french balcony as the full balcony rooms are further away from noise.
4. They have DVD player in room but minimal DVDs to rent. I think it would be nice if they offered larger selection.

Overall, I feel one of the best on island. Ritz is of course more 5 star, but it is quite large. I really liked the small boutique feel of this property.

Room Tip: The 1 bedroom rooms with full balcony on the 5th floor are fabulous. Also away from the constructio...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Texantraveladdict
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Having never visited the Cayman islands I was initially lost on where to stay for my vacation. I had used Tripadvisor to get some help from the other travelers. I ended up selecting the Grand Cayman Beach suites. The hotel use to be the Grand Hyatt. It is a bit old but the rooms are very spacious and very well maintained. The bed sheets are always clean and well kept by housekeeping which is very important to my wife and I. The staff is friendly and there is a Red Sail water sport office to setup dives and other activities. Other than the dated décor the room is very nice. I ended up paying for a balcony room with a beach view and it was great as it overlooks the pool, beach, and the ocean.

Net, the Grand Cayman Beach suite is a very good hotel if you do not plan to spend most of your time there. The restaurant, bar, and pool was very quite (maybe due to low season??). One observation is that the beach bar drinks are not very strong (actually light on the alcohol). The food was OK and there are other restaurants close by. If you are looking for a value priced hotel this is excellent. If you want all of the five star amenities then the Ritz Carlton down the road would be a better choice.

Room Tip: The beach view balcony suites in the center of the hotel are the way to go for the best view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach
#6 of 11 in Seven Mile Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 1,107 reviews
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#3 of 11 in Seven Mile Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 4,219 reviews
The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
#2 of 11 in Seven Mile Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 2,259 reviews
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#7 of 11 in Seven Mile Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 1,673 reviews

Been to Grand Cayman Beach Suites? Share your experiences!