“cayman marine lab”
Review of Cayman Marine Lab

Ranked #11 of 31 Tours in Seven Mile Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: 27 Years experience as the only diving marine biologist in the Cayman Islands. Experience and knowledge are your ticket to the best small boat diving vacation in the Cayman Islands. I look forward to spoiling you and your family very soon.
Reviewed October 19, 2009

I went down to Grand cayman with 2 other divers . One was a new diver and Tom was just wonderful . His relaxed way and competence enhanced the new divers experience . He was also great at enhancing a new divers experience with the world underwater sharing his knowledge of the fish we saw . . We will definitely be coming back to GCI and Diving with Tom Byrnes PHD

Charles Greco

"eagle ray"
"enjoyed diving"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed October 13, 2009

Tom Byrnes (PhD in marine biology) has been a long-time resident of Grand Cayman and from what I understand, was one of the first "small boat" operators. The times I've been diving with him, there have not been more than 8 people on the boat but he'll run special boat trips for groups or families. We always dived where the weather and sea conditions were best, frequently the north side in the spring, summer and fall. The sheer drop-off is amazing! Tom shares info about the u/w life ~ fish, sponges, corals and does a brief marine bio lecture before the dives, talking about what's at a specific site, behavior of critters, and welcomes questions. The most fun part is the stories he shares about dive trips, or fishing with his brothers when he was a kid, his journey while working on his thesis. He also loves to fish ~ gave me freshly caught tuna a time or two and it was divine. He's awesome, and I highly recommend calling him before you go to Cayman to book your diving.

1  Thank Abbi356
Reviewed October 7, 2009

I've been diving with Cayman Marine Lab annually for over 20 years and I continue to be awed by the experience. The owner, Tom Byrnes, has a PhD in Marine Biology and has a great knack for pointing out interesting things under water and then explaining them to us when we get back on the boat. During the interval, Tom often gives us a mini-marine biology lesson - he even has a chalk board on-board that he uses for the lessons!

It's a small dive operation - only 2 boats - so the service is always personal and friendly. I've met many other divers who return year after year to dive with Cayman Marine Lab.

After 15 years of snorkeling, my wife finally decided to try scuba. She took a resort course with Cayman Marine Lab and felt completely comfortable with the experience. She subsequently became certified and now she joins me each year in diving with Cayman Marin Lab

Check out the web-site at http://caymanmarinelab.com.

Here's the contact information:
Dr. Tom Byrnes,
E-mail: [--]
Phone in Cayman: [--]

Reviewed October 6, 2009

If you want to enjoy scuba diving and do some great diving in Grand Cayman with the best dive captain in Grand Cayman, you need to dive with Tom Byrnes in Grand Cayman-Tel (--)and the web page caymanmarinelab.com.
Tom is a marine biologist who has lived and been diving in Grand Cayman for over 20 years. He knows the best dive sites and takes you to dive sites that others may not go to. Tom will also take you to dive sites that you request or try to accommodate you if you prefer to dive in calmer water. Diving with Tom is like diving with one of your best friends. If you need lessons or are an experienced certified diver, Tom will take good care of you. He can tell you all about the sea life and answer any questions you may have about anything under the water. Tom also can help you with hotel/condo and restaurant recommendations since many of his island friends run some of the best restaurants on the island. We have been diving with Tom for over 15 years and have many enjoyable experiences. I have taken my daughter diving with Tom and also gone with my buddies so Tom can accommodate families or friends or individuals. We have always had fun diving with Tom whether a shallow dive or a deep dive and have seen many different types of sea life.

4  Thank CGW073181
See more reviews
Reviewed October 6, 2009

I have been diving since 1976 and have dove all over the Caribbean: Little Cayman-Bonaire-Aruba-Antiqua-Curaco-Cayman Brac-All over the Mexican Yucatan etc. and one of my favorite places is Grand Cayman for several reasons. Most importantly my wife loves it there, ha, ha. I have been to GC at least 8 times and by far my favorite diving operation on the 7 Mile Beach end is:
Cayman Marine Lab's that is owned and operated by:
Tom Byrnes, PhD in Marine Biology
[--]
[--]

Tom's knowledge of the sea life is unsurpassed. The ease of diving with Tom is unreal, especially for GC. He checks you out and if you know what your doing, "dive you computer". If you need help he is there. His boats are roomy and he fills you in on all the little stuff. His stories and experiences with GC and Nat'l Geo. are really funny. If you looking for a professional that knows how to handle all levels of diving and you really want to know about sea life take my advice and experience of diving for the past 33 years and go with his outfit.
I dove with some of the bigger outfits and you are nothing but cattle, follow the herd and come up in 30 min. Trust me Cayman Marine Lab is your best bet. Go to his web site and do a little research. http://caymanmarinelab.com/

1  Thank diverdave1976