“Perfect Diving Day on the North Wall”
Review of Cayman Marine Lab

Cayman Marine Lab
Ranked #12 of 32 Tours in Seven Mile Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: 32 years running dive trips in Cayman making us the most experienced and knowledgeable operator. Whether you are just starting or have been diving for decades, you will appreciate the extra effort to get you to the best sites Cayman has to offer. Most of our sites have not been dived by anyone else and the difference is amazing! PhD Marine Biologist will answer all of your critter questions and teach you about what you are seeing on these fresh reefs. Stingray charters, deep drop fishing, and eco-tours are available for the non-divers.
Reviewed August 29, 2014

Thanks again Tom Byrnes. Your Cayman Marine Lab outfit was very accommodating for my daughter and me as we scrambled for a late-morning dive during our March 2014 visit to Grand Cayman. And your Captain Dylan provided a spectacular afternoon with Cayman Marine Lab on the North Wall.

We are grateful to have found you! We really enjoyed Dylan’s calm expertise and knowledge of marine life, as well as the more personal experience of a less-populated, more relaxed Cayman dive boat.

What a beautiful setting on the North Wall: The big, gliding turtle off the ledge reminded us of Finding Nemo!

See you next March. Cayman Marine Lab is our new dive outfit in Cayman. I will mention your outfit to any who seek great guides scuba-diving in Cayman.

cmlcayman, Manager at Cayman Marine Lab, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2014

thanks Mark, we look forward to seeing you in March.

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"enjoyed diving"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed August 16, 2014

Earlier this year I decided to become dive certified. After taking the initial course at our local Midwest Dive shop I was able to to complete my certification dives in April of this year with Tom at the Cayman Marine lab. He was very knowledgeable and I felt comfortable under his guidance. In August I took a second trip to Cayman and dove with CML again. This time I was a little more relaxed and had a couple of fantastic dives! CML took us to the fabulous North Wall where we saw a Hawksbill Sea Turtle, and lots of marine animals. The staff at CML have an eye for sea life and make sure to point out various underwater creatures. Tom is aware of his surroundings at all times. CML is one of the more experienced diving companies on the Island -- I had called ahead to request a time to dive with other divers at my same experience level. They scheduled me with a great group and I had a lot of fun and made some new diving friends.

cmlcayman, Manager at Cayman Marine Lab, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2014

Thanks Dave; I was pleased to see how quickly you have progressed since your first diving trip...I think you have caught "the" bug. See you next time.

Reviewed August 9, 2014

My family of four, two daughters 11, and 13, dove 5 days with Tom and Luke in July. All five days were great trips. Each day Tom tried to take us to where he thought the best dives would be that day, without regard to gas or whatever was easiest for him He had great patience with the children, he treated them as divers first but tried to point out fun things for them and had some interesting lessons on things we would see during surface intervals. He even allowed us to hop in for a few minutes at stingray city one day with the kids instead of blowing a whole day on that dive. I had been to Cayman before and dove with a large operation, they took us in large groups to easy spots for them not the best dives. If you are paying the money to be in Cayman you go to the north sound wall in my opinion. That is where Tom takes you. There were usually only 7-8 folks on the boat including my four, each day felt like a private tour. Tom and Luke almost spoil you with getting all your gear ready, putting it on you before your roll, taking your fins at the ladder, grabbing your bc at the top of the ladder. I am afraid my kids will be spoiled as those were their first boat dives. They had only done shore diving in Bonaire before. Tom also gave us good suggestions on weighting. As a veteran of about a 100 dives I have always gone with 12 pounds. By the end of the week Tom had me down to 8 with polite subtle suggestions and I felt much better in the water and controlled buoyancy better. All of us were better divers by the end of the week.
We saw plenty of large fish, turtles, corals, and an eagle ray ( on my daughters wish list and Tom took us to good potential eagle ray locations because of this)
By the end of the week you will feel like you have a friend with a dive business in Grand Cayman. If we returned, and I think we will,Tom would be my first call. If you want to dive up north and want a professional operation but with a small boutique feel this is the way to go
As to logistics, you actually meet at Toms house on the canal sound side right in the heart of seven mile beach. it is in a gated community so make sure you know the code and the address. when you get there in the morning he will be ready to go with BC,s on tanks, regs etc.
Thanks Tom and Luke, we look forward to getting back
Erik, Gina, Taylor,and Sydney

1  Thank MartinsGa

Thanks Gina, I enjoyed you and the family and I am glad to see you liked the easy-going atmosphere. You guys did a great job getting those girls up early each day; I know how difficult that can be. I hope you will return to Cayman next year. All the best Tom

Reviewed August 8, 2014

We've been diving with Cayman Marine Lab since it first opened. Before Tom arrived, we dived with the cattle boats. His knowledge of the waters is unmatched!
I noticed Reviewer EPS07 wrote a bad review of a trip. I am a certified rescue diver and my dive buddy and brother, has been a certified dive instructor for over 30 years. Tom knew this diver had been recently certified, therefore he stayed with him on the descent and throughout the short dive. Bottom time was less than 20 minutes @ max depth of 85, for those of us that entered before Tom and the new diver. While doing our 3 minute safety stop, Tom noticed this diver was low on air and gave him his octo. I witnessed this diver take the octo from his mouth and bolt to the surface!!
The rest of us finished our safety stops and boarded. All was fine. While Tom was securing the boat, my brother overheard this diver say to his girl friend, not Tom, that he was having trouble breathing. When Tom was informed, he gave my brother the Oxygen bottle and my brother laid the diver down, with the O2 flowing and mask in place. Tom aborted the second dive and returned to the dock. After reaching the dock, the diver was laid down in his girl friend's car, O2 still flowing, and I led her to the hospital. They were checked in and I left.
The next morning, Tom told me that he stopped by the hospital to check on him. The ER doctor reported that the diver had "a panic attack and hyperventilated", and cleared him to dive the next day. Not a "minor case of bends", as reported by the reviewer.
The reported "Horrible experience" was in no part due to Cayman Marine Labs, but a direct result of the diver's own inexperience.

3  Thank RLC4113

What a pleasure it is to dive with you guys; I look forward to your trip each year. Thanks for your help and for setting the record straight.