“Great week of diving”
Review of Cayman Marine Lab

Cayman Marine Lab
Ranked #11 of 31 Tours in Seven Mile Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: 32 years running dive trips in Cayman making us the most experienced and knowledgeable operator. Whether you are just starting or have been diving for decades, you will appreciate the extra effort to get you to the best sites Cayman has to offer. Most of our sites have not been dived by anyone else and the difference is amazing! PhD Marine Biologist will answer all of your critter questions and teach you about what you are seeing on these fresh reefs. Stingray charters, deep drop fishing, and eco-tours are available for the non-divers.
Reviewed May 26, 2014

My husband and I had a great week of diving, May 13-20, 2014, with Tom Byrnes. We went to dive sites on the North Wall and South. Rather than diving named sites, we anchored in sandy spots and went to areas rarely seen by most divers, with pristine corals and interesting sea life, including scalloped hammerhead shark, loggerhead turtle, green morays, queen triggerfish, and many more. Beautiful!

cmlcayman, Manager at Cayman Marine Lab, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2014

my pleasure

"trinity caves"
"lobster"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed May 22, 2014

April 2014: The ratio of 5 star reviews to 1 star reviews on this operation is VERY suspicious to me. When I read the positive reviews I wonder if they went out with a different guy ?!? Perhaps we caught him on one of his Mr. Hyde days?
Let me say that everything the previous negative reviews said: "poor service", "unprofessional", "unsafe" were ALL ways I would describe this guy. And, I too felt that I was just there to help finance his Lion spearfishing hobby. We learned NOTHING about marine life from "Dr" Tom.
Worst of all, when we failed to heed a his rule about EXACTLY where to enter the water so as to avoid bumping his run down, ancient boat, he started yelling and cursing ! When I mocked him for this a few minutes later he went off on a profanity filled monologue that lasted 20 seconds.
Having dived in Australia, Belize, St Thomas, Caymen, Cozumel and the Florida Keys, I can easily say that this was my worst diving experience ever.

10  Thank Fin3
cmlcayman, Manager at Cayman Marine Lab, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2014

You can repeatedly smash my equipment and verbally abuse me but when your incredible lack of ability to follow simple instructions and procedures jeopardize the safety of all on board; I draw the line. We at Cayman Marine Lab make safety our number 1 priority.
Even after your abusive assaults, I, san lionfish spear, and at the expense of more skillful divers, had to devote all my attention to your wife. I am convinced had I not she may well have suffered the same fate as your smart phone, which you took on the dive with you.
If your experience was so very awful, why did you come back the next day!! Perhaps along with your short attention span you have a memory problem as well.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

I went out with Cayman Marine Lab last January with my two sons. I am an adventurous 56 year old woman; yet, I never thought I would be able to scuba dive. I am now hooked, thanks to Tom and his assistant dive master Dylan. Thank you very much. We will be back every year!!

2  Thank Terry I
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I just dove yesterday with Tom and my two daughters ages 13 and 15. I didn't find out about him till I got there, and when I read the reviews in my hotel room I called right away to book a dive. He's not only a dive expert with decades of experience, he's a tropical marine biologist with a PhD. That interested me because I've got a daughter that wants to work in the field. Fortunately he was able to accommodate us. We had a great dive and I enjoyed getting to know Tom and the history of his work on the Cayman Islands. Tom relies on superb service rather than advertising so you may not hear about him at the dive shops, even though he has been there way longer then anyone else, and his operation is first class.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 18, 2014

If you want to dive in Grand Cayman, Cayman Marine Lab is the way to go. We are ending a wonderful week of diving with Tom and his crew. Our three children, ages 12 and 15 came to do their check out certification dives. I contacted Tom from the states and he promised me fun dives for the five of us... I have to say, he lived up to his word. We hit great dive locations and Tom, Dylan and Jeremy were great with the kids. Tom knows his stuff and,as a nervous mom,I felt right at ease knowing that my children were in expert hands. We all had a blast and learned so much from Tom. In my opinion, this outfit is the only way to go in Grand Cayman!!!

1  Thank jkoci