“Aces”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cayman Marine Lab

Cayman Marine Lab
Ranked #9 of 28 Tours in Seven Mile Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: 27 Years experience as the only diving marine biologist in the Cayman Islands. Experience and knowledge are your ticket to the best small boat diving vacation in the Cayman Islands. I look forward to spoiling you and your family very soon.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Aces”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I first went diving with Tom based on the excellent TripAdvisor reviews, and was not disappointed. (I've been back again since.) It's an experience unlike any other I've had diving -- it ain't fancy, and don't expect to be pampered, but it sure as heck is fun. (Get a t-shirt; it says about as much.) It's like diving with your super-cool friend who just happens to have a dive operation in Cayman. And he knows his stuff. I plan to dive with CML at least once every time I go to Cayman, and I plan to go regularly.

Visited October 2012

Boston, MA
“Cayman Marine Lab is the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

As others have pointed out, behind his hilarious patter about low standards -- His old T shirt was "Come for the Diving, Stay for the Abuse! -- Tom Byrnes is the most considerate, careful, knowledgable, consciencious, and personable dive master in the universe, and has for ten years structured our diverse family dive trips to satisfy two generations of us at all levels of ability and experience. His small boats are no-frills about frills that don't matter, and tremendously comfortable and easy, especially as he moves them about with the wind so we are always diving on the lee side (which is often enough the fabled "North Wall." We have had his cnidaria lecture a few times, and sometimes even graduated to tunicates.

Visited December 2012
Fort Worth
“Underwater Classroom”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Dr. Tom Byrnes delivers a different dive experience than other operations in the Caymans;in addition to his diving experience you will also receive the benefit of his PhD in Marine Biology. Coral and sponge formations become as exciting on each dive as that first shark sighting. He received a 2 thumbs up rating on our first introduction almost twenty years ago and in my opinion continues to deliver the goods each and every dive trip.

Visited May 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Tom for President!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Tom is a star. I was a little nervous when I started diving and Tom was very understanding, considerate and caring. Underneath that brash exterior lies a complete softy! The north wall dives that we have done this week have been awesome, including a chewing eagle ray! Thanks Tom for a great experience.

Visited February 2013
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Tom Byrnes IS diving in Grand Cayman”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have been diving in Grand Cayman for 7 years and always with Cayman Marine Lab. I have 35 years diving experience and can absolutely say that Tom Byrnes is safety conscious, phenomenally knowlegeable, and has to be the most observant divemaster I've ever been in the ocean with! I swear he has eyes all around his head....if a diver is too light or too heavy, he's there in a nanosecond to add or take weights away. If a diver drifts too deep (I'm guilty) he's immediately banging on his tank to get their attention to come up to the agreed upon depth. If a diver thinks they don't have to listen to his instruction or is willfully stupid, Tom's correction is swift and unforgetable. I wouldn't dive in Grand Cayman with any other operation; in fact, I'd like to stuff Tom and his crew into a backpack and take them on all my dives.

Visited August 2012