“Hidden Little Gem”

Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed May 11, 2009

It's tucked in there, obscured by all these mega beheamoth joints. The rooms are nice. The pool is actually very nice. The beach is there. But the selling point? The thing that brings me back? Stingers the bar. Killer vibe. And I can walk to all the stuff that I care to along the strip.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank Layover
There are newer reviews for Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach

Reviewed May 7, 2009

Great hotel, really clean, two bed room suites are fab and roomy and we got a newly refurished one which was great.
Staff were fantastic, really friendly, couldn't be more helpful. We would recommend this hotel to anyone.

There is currently building work going on in front of the hotel, but this should be finished in a couple of months (July 09). It was noisy when we were there, but as we knew the building work was going on before we booked, it didn't spoil our holiday one bit.

2  Thank trudi29
Reviewed April 29, 2009

great location, great staff, great room, great stay.. i loved the suite style rooms.. the staff was extremely helpful and pleasant. beach behind the hotel is beautiful... nice pool and poolside activities..

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank irishkwalsh
Reviewed April 21, 2009

We stayed there one night, courtesy of Continental Airlines because of a canceled flight. The staff handled well the check in of the large group of people Continental bused to them. The 2 bedroom suite we had was comfortable. We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast buffet early in the morning, but in our haste to get on the Continental bus to the airport, my daughter left behind her 2 stuffed animals. By the time we realized where they had been left, we were at the gate at the airport & it was too late to retrieve them. From home in New Jersey I called and found that Clover at the front desk had both of them safely stowed. Kay White then took their great service those extra miles and mailed the 2 stuffed animals to us.

1  Thank Carl-Mac
Reviewed April 18, 2009

We came into Grand Cayman late on a Friday night and had booked Comfort Suites for just one night before we went to the East Side to our timeshare. We wanted to spend a night at Seven Mile Beach to see what all of the hype was.
Check in was friendly and fast, but we arrived in our room and it was REALLY warm in the room, so we adjusted the A/C and left for an hour to go across the street to Coconuts for a drink. We returned to find the room just as warm. We tried to get the A/C to jump start and called the desk asking for assistance. They sent up a maintenance person who didn't know the A/C unit from the thermostat. I said I couldn't sleep in a room that hot and wanted to move to another room. They obliged and put us in a room much smaller, but at least we had air conditioning.
In the morning, we realized the toilet was clogged and just wouldn't flush at all - I really don't believe it was any doing of our own. We called the desk at 7:30 am, went to breakfast, then out for a walk on the beach. We returned at 10 am - no one had come to take care of the toilet, meaning we couldn't even use it.
We checked out at 10:30 am and reported our issue to the desk and they just shrugged.
So, we paid $200 for the night and had to move once and then not be able to use the bathroom.....not exactly an acceptable scenario and I doubt we would ever return.
The location is very ideal - within a short walk to several restaurants and the beach. However, a very large condomium project is going up right next to Comfort Suites (and beachside), so the short walk to the beach is marred by cement mixers and cranes. It's nice to see progress in this type of economy, but when it interferes with your vacation, that's another thing.

Honestly, being at this hotel and this particular part of Grand Cayman didn't look any different than being in Florida. There just wasn't any 'culture' to speak of and driving down a road with all of the American fast food restaurants was very disappointing. We were very glad to move over to the East Side of the island where there was not any traffic or Burger Kings.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank katezooza
Reviewed April 13, 2009

After spending a week on the North side of the island, we decided to venture over to SMB for a few nights just to get the feel of the area for future visits. First the positives: The hotel is very clean and not very noisy (in the rooms), the continental breakfast is good and adds value to this hotel, free internet great for checking flight status and small refrig in room and microwave are great for snacks. The negatives: The main negagatives concern the enormous building going up between Comfort Suites and the ocean. I was under the impression that most of the exterior construction was done and they were starting interior finishing, WRONG!!!! We had hoped to grab lunch at StIngers for convenience sake and because they give you a discount but we didn't eat there because of the clanging construction noise and jackhammering. The pool area is small but nicely shaded and could be a great place to relax in the afternoon if there wasn't so much noise. Same thing with the beach atmosphere. The path that takes you to the beach will bring you to 10 beach chairs that are hard to come by and no shade what-so-ever. And you have the added pleasure of a crane swinging behind you carrying steel girders up a few stories. We had a car, so both days we were there we drove to different beaches so we still enjoyed SMB but the Comfort Suites will have very little to offer for beach accomodations when this condo opens up. Something to think about. So I recommend this hotel for someone on business, or someone who needs a short term stay because of its inexpensive rate. I would strongly encourage people to look elsewhere if you are planning a week stay especially if you will not be renting a car. Hope this helps others in their planning.

2  Thank MNMOM
Reviewed April 8, 2009

I relied very heavily on tripadvisor reviews when choosing the hotel that I wanted for my recent Cayman vacation. Since I am the type of traveler that enjoys spending the majority of my time on the beach or by the pool, I wasn't terribly worried about the poor reviews of the hotel. I figured that I really just needed a nice, safe place to stay at night since I would be up at dawn and have most of my day outside. When I read the reviews and realized that the Comfort Suites was essentially sharing the same beach as the Marriott, I figured that I would save myself the $150/night and just stay at the Comfort Suites. How different could it be!?

Well, I'm here to tell you...it's VERY different and I have no doubt that I would have enjoyed my vacation exponentially more if I had only known to stay at the Marriott instead. While I agree with other reviewers on the quality of the rooms (very clean, plenty of room for two people, etc.), I have never stayed at a hotel with ruder staff in my entire life. This would normally not bother me at all - again, I'm not one to hang out at the hotel and get chummy with the staff. But the extreme rudeness (ignoring me when I walked up to ask for a towel...and then rolling their eyes since they had to put their newspaper down to get one for me; talking on their cell phone while I patiently waited to tell them that the toilet was, once again, stopped up; acting like it was my fault that they gave me a room that was already being used by someone else) displayed on a daily basis by the staff really put a damper on my perception of the hotel. On the other hand, we walked over to the Marriott one evening and were greeted with a smile or a "How are you this evening, ma'am?" from every single Marriott staff member that I encountered. I can only imagine how nice they would have been had I been a guest and asked for a towel!

The other thing that I will point out is that although the Comfort Suites and Marriott share the same beach, it could not be a more different experience as far as the chairs and "extras" that are available. The reviewers that said that the Marriott does not mind if you use their chairs could not have been more wrong. The lovely chairs and umbrellas are exclusively for the Marriott guests and you will be asked to get off of them if you use them. The Comfort Suites guests are allowed 10 rickety, rusty chairs that are available on a first come, first serve basis. There are no umbrellas (not even available to rent) so you are basically sitting in the hot sun all day on a rusty chair while your Marriott neighbors have functioning lounge chairs and individual umbrellas to shade themselves with. Again, this is something that I didn't think I needed until I got there - and I can tell you, you want an umbrella for shade in the 86 degree heat.

So to end this review, please do yourself a favor and realize that if you are going to the Caymans, it's not the time to try to be cheap and save a few bucks here and there (like I thought I would). Instead, spend the extra $150 for a great hotel with friendly staff, plenty of available beach chairs and an umbrella. And don't think that you can just go up to the hotel to have an umbrella...as many other reviewers have pointed out, they are building a huge hotel next to the Comfort Suites. On the afternoons that we would go up to the pool just to have some shade, we were all but asphyxiated by the machine fumes and had not a moment of peace from all of the hammering, sawing and dropping of materials. At least once every half hour, a huge plume of dust would fall over the entire pool area from the construction site. Mothers were actually telling their kids to close their eyes as this mess would fall upon us.

Do me a favor - learn from my mistake and please don't stay here.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End

Been to Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach? Share your experiences!