“Great affordable option with perks even the expensive hotels don't offer”

Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My husband, son and I spend 7 nights in Grand Cayman with the first 6 being at the Grand Cayman Beach Suites. We had to stay at Comfort Suites our last night because the other hotel could not accommodate us.

For $250.00 more, the Grand Cayman Beach Suites did offer a great beachfront location with amazing views and fancier (cold) pools; however, it did not offer certain things that Comfort Suites offered at a much lower price including:

-Free wireless internet
-Breakfast with eggs, waffles, fruit.....

We were really impressed with the cleanliness of the Comfort Suites and though it's not beachfront, at least you don't have to cross the street to get to the beach. It's very clean, the staff is friendly and the people staying there seem more down to earth. I'd highly recommend it as an affordable option on a very expensive island.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lorac42
CaymanComfortSuites, General Manager at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Lorac 42 - Thank you for your review, we appreciate you taking the time to do this and we will ensure that your feedback is shared with the whole team. Thank you for staying with us.

Yours in hosptality

Reviewed February 20, 2013

My Aunt and I stayed at the Comfort Suites for a week, starting on January 31, 2013. We were amazed at the quality, service and location that the Comfort Suites had to offer, far more than we expected for the price. The bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. And the breakfast exceeded our expectations. However a few MINOR issues forced me to only give a rating of 4...The hot tub was twice to cold to call it a hot tub, and once it was actually to hot. Also, one of the windows in the room did not have a screen on it. We opened the windows at night anyway, and hoped nothing would fly in. I plan on returning to this beautiful island, and will stay at this great hotel again, only longer.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
CaymanComfortSuites, General Manager at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Marie C

Thank you for your kind review, we also hope to see you back sometime soon! I wish you had let me know about the screen during your stay, I would put one in for you myself. Glad you enjoyed the breakfast and that you will return.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

My bf and I decided to stay at the Comfort Suites 5 nights (Jan 30-Feb 4) based on the positive reviews and I would agree with most of them. I would stay here again and recommend it to others. Here's why:
1. Perfect location (next door to Marriott, right by Seven Mile beach, close to Camana Bay etc)
2. Less expensive than the Marriott
3. Serves an awesome breakfast every morning. Always looked forward to their breakfast
4. Wonderful staff (always friendly and smiling)
5. Afternoon refreshment
6. Nice pool

There was extra cost for fast internet speed, small cost in using the business office/printing, $100 refundable deposit to use the safety lock but will charge a $2.50 per day. Sometimes they were late in cleaning our room so we just went to the bar for drink so they could finish. We had an enjoyable stay at the Comfort Suites. Thank you!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mon L
CaymanComfortSuites, General Manager at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear Mon L

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay.
I will review your feedback with the whole team, who will be thrilled with your feedback.
Thank you for coming.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

My overall rating for the Comfort Suites is actually 3 1/2 stars. However, I couldn't find an option within the overall rating selector that would allow the inclusion of half a star. I really wanted to give this hotel 4 stars, but for the reasons set forth below I couldn't.

My family and I arrived at the Comfort Suites on February 2nd and stayed for 2 nights. We tried to book a room at the Ritz Carlton, the Westin and the Marriott, but we planned this getaway at the last minute and those hotels were fully booked. Fortunately, Comfort Suites had a room available and we booked it. The room we booked was a one bedroom suite and we were happy with it overall. The living room had a flat screen tv and a sofa that opened up into a sofa bed which our 2 kids found comfortable. The kitchen had an electric stovetop, a microwave oven, a full size refrigerator, a dishwasher and cabinets stocked with dishes, glasses and flatware. The bedroom also had a flat screen tv, 2 nightstands and a closet with shelving (there was no dresser). The bathroom in this particular suite was shower only and pretty generic. Overall, the room was very nice, but it did have a few oddities. The closet in the bedroom did not have a door. I looked and there was no hardware installed for a door, there is simply no door for the closet and you view your clothes from the bed. There isn't a lot of storage space because the suite did not have a dresser. The lamp in the living room produced a warm natural light, but the lamp in the bedroom produced a harsh light that reminded me of lighting you see in a medical office. There are energy saver bulbs that produce warm light, but I don't know why the lighting wasn't consistent. The room has 2 HD flat screen tvs, but the hotel sent an analog signal to them so the tv picture was mediocre (and this was Super Bowl weekend). The toilet paper in the bathroom is very thin and rough despite it being 2 ply and labeled "Durasoft". I would strongly recommend you bring your own roll of toilet paper. Nevertheless, the space you receive for the price is a good value for families despite these oddities.

The Comfort Suites offers a free buffet breakfast for its guests from 7am to 10am in its breakfast room. You are provided with a "breakfast ticket" when you check in that reflects the following, "Must be presented in Breakfast Room prior to having breakfast". When we arrived at the entrance to the breakfast room (around 9:20a), there was no one to greet us or anyone to show a breakfast ticket. I didn't even know if we had to be seated or we seat ourselves. I eventually found the attendant to the breakfast room in a back room and asked what do I do with this ticket. The attendant asked if I was checked in to the hotel and I said, "Yes." The attendant told me to sit anywhere I wanted and help myself. The breakfast room is of moderate size and the only tables that were free were dirty. There is also an outside seating area with a few more tables and chairs. We went through the french doors to the outside area and we almost sat at an empty table until we noticed that the chairs had bird poop on them. We couldn't find an unoccupied outside table that did not have bird poop so we had to go back inside and clean off one of the inside tables ourselves. The food in the Breakfast room was fine and the attendant in the room was friendly. The breakfast room also has a large flat screen tv so you can watch a show while you eat. When we went to the breakfast room for the last day of our stay (around 8am), we grabbed an inside table (the outside tables were clean this time (for now) and did not have bird poop) and started gathering food. I was still gathering food when my 5 year old tapped me and indicated she was getting scared because there were scary things on the tv. I turn around to look at the tv and I see Nicholas Cage with his face on fire and his head turning into a skull along with other "graphically violent" acts on the screen. This was not a commercial. This was an actual movie that was playing on the tv. Why this hotel has a violent and very graphic adult movie playing on the tv in the breakfast room that Monday morning where families with children would come in to eat the free breakfast is beyond me. The attendant did change the channel of the tv afterwards, but the damage was already done because my daughter she thinks she will have a nightmare now. I would recommend the following when attending the buffet breakfast: 1. I would try to attend the breakfast buffet as early as possible. The roosters and other birds seem to know the breakfast schedule and can be seen walking around the outside eating spaces. I assume these birds have their free breakfast when a table clears and end up leaving bird poop around this area on vacant tables for guests who arrive later. 2. Very flimsy plasticware, styrofoam plates and tiny (6oz to 8oz) plastic cups are provided for use at the breakfast buffet. The plastic forks and knives are so flimsy they broke in my hands when I tried to cut some of the fruit for my kids. I recommend bringing flatware from your room so you can eat more comfortably. I would also bring your own water bottle and fill it with any juice or drink to avoid multiple trips because the cups are very small for this buffet breakfast. 3. Bring something to clean off the table yourself if possible. I was in the breakfast room for a while making multiple trips to get food for me and the kids and I did not see anyone who would clean the tables when a guest left. I witnessed 2 employees (friendly) in the breakfast room, but there are a lot of people coming through for the free breakfast. You basically have to clean the table off yourself to have a clean place to eat. 4. Make sure there is nothing showing on the tv in the breakfast room that is inappropriate for children.

The service at the hotel was mediocre. The staff at the breakfast room and the housekeeping staff were friendly. The front desk staff was not so friendly to us. When I checked in at the hotel I was greeted in the following way, "Next", "last name" (taps on keyboard), "photo identification please", "credit card", etc. There wasn't any "warmth" to check in and it was very "mechanical". There was no introduction or discussion about the facilities at the hotel except for the free breakfast. When I asked whether I could store my bag somewhere until my room was ready, the front desk attendant slapped a key on the counter and pointed to a storage room. One of my bags was kept behind the front desk. When I notified the front desk attendant that I was ready to collect this bag she said, "you could come back here and get it". I opened a door and went behind the front desk, passed the front desk attendants and rolled my bag out. When we were checking out of the hotel there was a line. There were 2 woman behind the front desk, but 1 woman was checking out a guest and the other woman was sitting down and didn't address us or anyone else despite the line. I found that situation ironic because on the counter next to this "sitting attendant" was a TripAdvisor sign proudly displaying its rating as a 4 star hotel. However, the impression the front desk staff left with me was that they were only willing to do the minimum.

If the Comfort Suites was rated based SOLELY on value, it should receive 5 stars. The room rate, the space, the free breakfast and the location are a solid value. However, the hotel takes away some of its allure as a "value play" with some of the deficiencies I mentioned above. You don't have to be a 5 star establishment to remedy some of the above mentioned deficiencies. I'm just left with the impression that this hotel "skates" by with its flaws simply because it is cheaper and any other option you would exercise would be more expensive.

I wanted to give this hotel 4 stars, but I can't give a hotel that had bird poop on their seating, an indifferent front desk service that only did the minimum and scaring my daughter half to death with some crazy movie in the breakfast room 4 stars despite its "value". This is why I have to rate the Comfort Suites 3 1/2 stars.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Kenneth H
CaymanComfortSuites, General Manager at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear Kenneth H - Thank you for taking the time to review my hotel. First I must thank you for staying with us and ranking us with the same discernment as the Ritz or Westin which you have stayed at previously. We are a Comfort Suites - 3.5 stars, the same as you would find in the USA/Canada. Our rates would reflect this, about 55-75% less than the Ritz. We are a much smaller hotel than either of the other two with about 10% of the number of staff. Our breakfast is complimentary and this also meets the brand standards for our Chain.The brand standard for Choice hotels does not have closet doors. We appreciate your feedback and also your Value rating of a 5 stars. On behalf of all my team, we appreciate this rating that you have given us when measured against the Ritz and the Westin and we appreciate the recognition as being a great value option for the visitor to Cayman.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Comfort Suites in January 2013 for 8 days. We were very pleased with the Comfort Suites. The staff were all very friendly and accommodating. The breakfast every morning was always enjoyable and Martin was always attentive to everyone's needs and extremely friendly, courteous and helpful. The rooms were spacious and quite comfortable. We plan on returning to Grand Cayman again and will surely stay again at the Comfort Suites Hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mary S

Thank you for your kind review, we appreciate you choosing to stay with us. Martin will be thrilled with your feedback on our breakfast and his service. Thank you very much.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed during the 3rd to the 10th of Feb. The hotel is well kept. The rooms are big enough with a table, small fridge ,microwave, plates, cups and cutlery. Two queen beds. The room is cleaned every day with fresh towels. Safety box is $2.50 a day. The front counter staff are very courteous and friendly' Always a smile and they go that extra step when asking a question. If you need to exchange currency you can do it the front counter. That was very helpful. The full hot breakfast is very good and there is ample food for everyone. The baked goods and fruit were always fresh. We never went anywhere else but Coconut Joes, the Marriot all serve breakfast also if you want a change. we didn't as we were quite satisfied. They have a pool and a restaurant unrelated to Comfort Suites called Stingers for lunch and supper which I will cover in another review. There is a small pathway to the beach and they have a Rubbermaid cooler there to quench your thirst when you come back from the beach. There is a limited amount of space at the beach so go early and claim your spot. The sunset is spectacular. We took the bus $2 each up to Cemetery beach and walked back. Snorkel at Cemetery if you can, rent some gear. Saw lots of fish. There are whole bunch of reef balls out in front of the Comfort and Marriot with quite a few fish We would defintely good back to this resort both for location and price; Good Value

Room Tip: Pool side or 4th floor
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dperronmallette
CaymanComfortSuites, General Manager at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Dera THED'S
Thank you for your kind review, we appreciate you taking the time to write this and to give us some feedback on our service. We are glad that you enjoyed the breakfast, we are very proud of this service and what we offer, and it complimentary! The front desk staff will be thrilled to recieve your comments on their service.
Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just returned a few days ago from a 6 night stay at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach. I stayed there previously in 2009 and improvements have been made, especially with the addition of the "free" breakfast daily. However, some things to consider: There are SEVERAL add-on charges in addition to the advertised nightly rate. I'm sure they are printed somewhere in the details but really should be included in the advertised rates because it amounts to a 31% increase in the advertised nightly rate!! The charges are: 10% Government tax, 13% "Service fee", 8% "Energy Surcharge"! The 10% tax is government mandated, the 13% "goes to the employees" I was told, and the 8% energy surcharge is a convenient way to pass their a/c bill to the guests!! Unfortunately, despite being forced to pay the "energy surcharge", which is obsurd in the first place, the a/c in the rooms is totally inadequate and is set on a "saver" mode that cuts on and off at certain peak/off peak times of the day and won't cool to a comfortable setting despite how low you set the thermostat!! I had to go to the front desk to complain twice about it and was told that they could send a maintenance guy to explain the setting to me!! I told them I didn't need an explanation, I needed the setting changed to normal, especially since I am paying an "energy surcharge"!!! It was eventually taken care of and the room cooled to a comfortable temperature, but the thermostat readings were still WAY off! Had to set it around 62 to get it to about 72, but, whatever.

The breakfast is ok for a day or two, but gets real old after that. Scrambled eggs every day, bacon one day, sausage patties cut up in tiny bits another, sausage patty bits mixed with baked beans another day, petrified potato cubes a couple days. And the eggs/meat are CONSTANTLY running out! Within minutes!! They bring a small pan of eggs, maybe a dozen scrambled, and it is wiped out by a room full of hungry guests. Same with the meats. Small sausage patties cut into chunks brought out in small pans so I guess that guests wouldn't take the equivalent of a patty at at time. Bad assumption!! So, if you like eggs and meat for breakfast, be prepared to wait. And act fast when it is refilled!! They will give you breakfast cards upon check in that you are supposed to show when you arrive at breakfast to identify yourself as a guest but they never checked. There is a sign stating that breakfast is for guests only and the public is welcome to eat there for CI$20.00 (USD$25.00)!! Totally laughable!! $5 maybe, $25? No way!!!

The pool is very refreshing and clean. Pool chairs are minimal though and inconsiderate guests will lay claim to them EARLY in the morning (7am) by laying towels down on them. Then they don't actually show up until 10 am. Ridiculous. Had I not driven to a different beach every morning, I wouldn't have thought twice about throwing those towels aside and taking the chairs!

Stingers Bar is very nice and we had a few meals and several drinks there. The staff are pleasant and the food is good. We really enjoyed it. Good music too. Be aware that 15% tip is automatically (on top of the 10% service charge added to your room rate!)

Lastly, our room was very comfortable (except for the a/c issue). The bed was very comfortable and it was kept very clean. The mini fridge and microwave and coffee maker are nice. Our housekeeper though, was a miserable one!! She knocked on the door at 2:30 pm on a Saturday afternoon to clean the room. We had been out of the room since at least 10 am that day. My wife was in the shower and had to step out to answer the door. She asked if she could return later and she was told it was her last room of the day. My wife asked if she could give her a minute to get dressed and she rolled her eyes at her. The woman never cracked a smile or said hello all week. I understand that Saturday is a big check-out day and those rooms should be cleaned first for new incoming guests, but a bit of flexibility would have been nice to allow us to shower and get dressed!!

Overall, it was a nice trip and the stay was decent. It is very expensive to vacation in Cayman, and it is getting more so than ever. I have probably been there over 2 dozen times, having owned a time share there previously, and it will be a LONG time until I return, if ever. It is getting priced to the point of ridiculousness!

Room Tip: The fifth floor is the top floor and the hallway is always hot compared to the other floors!!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BigDaddyPoly
CaymanComfortSuites, General Manager at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear "Big Daddy Poly" - thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. If I may I would like to explain some of the concerns that you stated that are not correct with the billing. I assure you there are no Hidden Charges at my hotel.
All hotels in the Cayman Islands charge - mandated by the governement 13% tourist tax, 10% gratuity(that goes to directly to the staff). The cost of living in Cayman is much higher than in other Caribbean islands and also the USA. Our hotel charges an additional $8.80 per day as an energy surcharge due to the high cost of uttilities. Our uttility costs are about 150% higher than what you would pay in the mainland USA. Many other hotels charge this fee on the island, as well as resort fees which can be much higher.
We choose to be fully transparent with this to our guests, rather than hide it. This is why it is clearly explained at the time of booking in writting on the reservation, at check in- where you would sign and intial acceptance for these charges and also at check out, itemised on your bill. If you check your booking confirmation you will see that this is clearly stated on the confirmation at the time of booking. I would be happy to provide you with a copy of this confirmation as well as the registration card that you would have signed and also the final bill, please contact me at comfort@candw.ky and I will be happy to assist you with this.

Our breakfast - I would challenge anyone to find a better breakfast on a complimentary basis on the island, we offer freshly cooked eggs, a meat dish that changes daily, fresh fruits, local baked goods, pastries, cereals, our famous waffles, freshly brewed coffee and juices as well as oatmeal, jams and a selection of teas. Please contact me as I would welcome any reasonable suggestions for additions to this breakfast buffet, that is complimentary.
Other hotels would probably charge you well in excess of $20++.for this type of breakfast.
Cayman is a great destination, but we do have a higher cost of living.
Please contact me and I would be happy to follow up and also explain All charges and or concerns that you may have had, I am sorry that you did not bring this to my attention during your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seven Mile Beach
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#6 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach? Share your experiences!