“Hotel and Staff”

Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Comfort Suites in January 2013 for 8 days. We were very pleased with the Comfort Suites. The staff were all very friendly and accommodating. The breakfast every morning was always enjoyable and Martin was always attentive to everyone's needs and extremely friendly, courteous and helpful. The rooms were spacious and quite comfortable. We plan on returning to Grand Cayman again and will surely stay again at the Comfort Suites Hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
CaymanComfortSuites, General Manager at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear Mary S

Thank you for your kind review, we appreciate you choosing to stay with us. Martin will be thrilled with your feedback on our breakfast and his service. Thank you very much.

There are newer reviews for Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed during the 3rd to the 10th of Feb. The hotel is well kept. The rooms are big enough with a table, small fridge ,microwave, plates, cups and cutlery. Two queen beds. The room is cleaned every day with fresh towels. Safety box is $2.50 a day. The front counter staff are very courteous and friendly' Always a smile and they go that extra step when asking a question. If you need to exchange currency you can do it the front counter. That was very helpful. The full hot breakfast is very good and there is ample food for everyone. The baked goods and fruit were always fresh. We never went anywhere else but Coconut Joes, the Marriot all serve breakfast also if you want a change. we didn't as we were quite satisfied. They have a pool and a restaurant unrelated to Comfort Suites called Stingers for lunch and supper which I will cover in another review. There is a small pathway to the beach and they have a Rubbermaid cooler there to quench your thirst when you come back from the beach. There is a limited amount of space at the beach so go early and claim your spot. The sunset is spectacular. We took the bus $2 each up to Cemetery beach and walked back. Snorkel at Cemetery if you can, rent some gear. Saw lots of fish. There are whole bunch of reef balls out in front of the Comfort and Marriot with quite a few fish We would defintely good back to this resort both for location and price; Good Value

Room Tip: Pool side or 4th floor
2  Thank dperronmallette
CaymanComfortSuites, General Manager at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Dera THED'S
Thank you for your kind review, we appreciate you taking the time to write this and to give us some feedback on our service. We are glad that you enjoyed the breakfast, we are very proud of this service and what we offer, and it complimentary! The front desk staff will be thrilled to recieve your comments on their service.
Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just returned a few days ago from a 6 night stay at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach. I stayed there previously in 2009 and improvements have been made, especially with the addition of the "free" breakfast daily. However, some things to consider: There are SEVERAL add-on charges in addition to the advertised nightly rate. I'm sure they are printed somewhere in the details but really should be included in the advertised rates because it amounts to a 31% increase in the advertised nightly rate!! The charges are: 10% Government tax, 13% "Service fee", 8% "Energy Surcharge"! The 10% tax is government mandated, the 13% "goes to the employees" I was told, and the 8% energy surcharge is a convenient way to pass their a/c bill to the guests!! Unfortunately, despite being forced to pay the "energy surcharge", which is obsurd in the first place, the a/c in the rooms is totally inadequate and is set on a "saver" mode that cuts on and off at certain peak/off peak times of the day and won't cool to a comfortable setting despite how low you set the thermostat!! I had to go to the front desk to complain twice about it and was told that they could send a maintenance guy to explain the setting to me!! I told them I didn't need an explanation, I needed the setting changed to normal, especially since I am paying an "energy surcharge"!!! It was eventually taken care of and the room cooled to a comfortable temperature, but the thermostat readings were still WAY off! Had to set it around 62 to get it to about 72, but, whatever.

The breakfast is ok for a day or two, but gets real old after that. Scrambled eggs every day, bacon one day, sausage patties cut up in tiny bits another, sausage patty bits mixed with baked beans another day, petrified potato cubes a couple days. And the eggs/meat are CONSTANTLY running out! Within minutes!! They bring a small pan of eggs, maybe a dozen scrambled, and it is wiped out by a room full of hungry guests. Same with the meats. Small sausage patties cut into chunks brought out in small pans so I guess that guests wouldn't take the equivalent of a patty at at time. Bad assumption!! So, if you like eggs and meat for breakfast, be prepared to wait. And act fast when it is refilled!! They will give you breakfast cards upon check in that you are supposed to show when you arrive at breakfast to identify yourself as a guest but they never checked. There is a sign stating that breakfast is for guests only and the public is welcome to eat there for CI$20.00 (USD$25.00)!! Totally laughable!! $5 maybe, $25? No way!!!

The pool is very refreshing and clean. Pool chairs are minimal though and inconsiderate guests will lay claim to them EARLY in the morning (7am) by laying towels down on them. Then they don't actually show up until 10 am. Ridiculous. Had I not driven to a different beach every morning, I wouldn't have thought twice about throwing those towels aside and taking the chairs!

Stingers Bar is very nice and we had a few meals and several drinks there. The staff are pleasant and the food is good. We really enjoyed it. Good music too. Be aware that 15% tip is automatically (on top of the 10% service charge added to your room rate!)

Lastly, our room was very comfortable (except for the a/c issue). The bed was very comfortable and it was kept very clean. The mini fridge and microwave and coffee maker are nice. Our housekeeper though, was a miserable one!! She knocked on the door at 2:30 pm on a Saturday afternoon to clean the room. We had been out of the room since at least 10 am that day. My wife was in the shower and had to step out to answer the door. She asked if she could return later and she was told it was her last room of the day. My wife asked if she could give her a minute to get dressed and she rolled her eyes at her. The woman never cracked a smile or said hello all week. I understand that Saturday is a big check-out day and those rooms should be cleaned first for new incoming guests, but a bit of flexibility would have been nice to allow us to shower and get dressed!!

Overall, it was a nice trip and the stay was decent. It is very expensive to vacation in Cayman, and it is getting more so than ever. I have probably been there over 2 dozen times, having owned a time share there previously, and it will be a LONG time until I return, if ever. It is getting priced to the point of ridiculousness!

Room Tip: The fifth floor is the top floor and the hallway is always hot compared to the other floors!!!
3  Thank BigDaddyPoly
CaymanComfortSuites, General Manager at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear "Big Daddy Poly" - thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. If I may I would like to explain some of the concerns that you stated that are not correct with the billing. I assure you there are no Hidden Charges at my hotel.
All hotels in the Cayman Islands charge - mandated by the governement 13% tourist tax, 10% gratuity(that goes to directly to the staff). The cost of living in Cayman is much higher than in other Caribbean islands and also the USA. Our hotel charges an additional $8.80 per day as an energy surcharge due to the high cost of uttilities. Our uttility costs are about 150% higher than what you would pay in the mainland USA. Many other hotels charge this fee on the island, as well as resort fees which can be much higher.
We choose to be fully transparent with this to our guests, rather than hide it. This is why it is clearly explained at the time of booking in writting on the reservation, at check in- where you would sign and intial acceptance for these charges and also at check out, itemised on your bill. If you check your booking confirmation you will see that this is clearly stated on the confirmation at the time of booking. I would be happy to provide you with a copy of this confirmation as well as the registration card that you would have signed and also the final bill, please contact me at comfort@candw.ky and I will be happy to assist you with this.

Our breakfast - I would challenge anyone to find a better breakfast on a complimentary basis on the island, we offer freshly cooked eggs, a meat dish that changes daily, fresh fruits, local baked goods, pastries, cereals, our famous waffles, freshly brewed coffee and juices as well as oatmeal, jams and a selection of teas. Please contact me as I would welcome any reasonable suggestions for additions to this breakfast buffet, that is complimentary.
Other hotels would probably charge you well in excess of $20++.for this type of breakfast.
Cayman is a great destination, but we do have a higher cost of living.
Please contact me and I would be happy to follow up and also explain All charges and or concerns that you may have had, I am sorry that you did not bring this to my attention during your stay.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We just returned from a 7 night stay at the Comfort Suites. We were under the impression that this was a no frills-business class hotel. We were wrong. We had a King size studio that was more than adequate. It also included a fridge, microwave, toaster and coffee maker. What else do you need? The bed was comfortable and cleaned before 11 every morning.
The staff was accommodating as far as restaurant suggestions and any directions we may have needed. The beach is a short 30 second walk and the pool and grounds were as clean as a whistle. Which brings me to the hardest worker in the hotel,Gil. I watched him for 7 days clean, clip, sweep, wipe, brush and maintain anything and everything on the grounds of the hotel. I got tired watching him. Thomas, he's worth his weight in gold.

Last year we stayed at the Westin. Don't bother. Stay at the Comfort Suites, I promise you will not be disappointed.
We are already planning to be back Feb. 2014.

Thomas, tell the staff to keep up the great job! Thanks

Dennis and Ellen

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
CaymanComfortSuites, General Manager at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Dear Dennis and Ellen,

Thank you for staying with us and for reviewing our hotel. Your kind comments are greatly appreciated. I have printed a copy of your review and Gil has this proudly pined to the Pool shed wall. He is a fantastic employee, one that we are very proud off. Your feedback has made his day!
Again thank you for choosing to stay with us and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We are still enjoying our stay at your hotel (EXTENDED OUR STAY 2X THIS WEEK....1X because of winter storm NEMO due to flight cancelled and 1X because we did) ,however ,we wanted to take the time out on this glorious vacation to thank your staff for being so nice to us. Guandalyn, Denise, Martin, Alfred and Jermaine always welcomed us each day with a warm smile and was always there whenever we needed anything.... Hats off to the staff....

The rooms were immaculate, pool and hot tub clean and the breakfast was always delicious and plentyful....If anyone is thinking about staying here DO IT! Its close to everything on SMB (seven mile beach) .

While you are here GO ON THE SNORKLE AND STINGRAY trip with with AMBASSADOR DIVERS (JUST OUTSIDE OF THE HOTEL NEXT TO THE OUTDOOR BAR)....we did yesterday and had a wonderful time...its was GREAT ..Chip,Jeff and Sonny THANK YOU! Never one dull moment and kept us laughing as well...
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR MAKING OUR VACATION AN UNFORGETTABLE ONE!

Mary and Joe room 429

Room Tip: high floors 4 and 5 facing the pool will give you a pool view and you will be able to see the ocean
2  Thank Mary and Joe B

Dear Mary and Joe - thank you for your kind comments and for choosing to stay with us. I will ensure that all your comments are shared with all the team. We appreciate this.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

We had a great experience at the hotel. It was clean, the breakfast was great and the staff was super helpful - especially Coral- who gave us tips on where to find Jamaican patties, a big beach, and even some batteries! The beach can be a bit crowded on that end, do yourself a favor and hop on a bus, just 10 minutes to the public beach. Dont forget to have a rum punch at Stingers before you leave!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
CaymanComfortSuites, General Manager at Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Dear Adina T - Thank you for taking the time to review my hotel. We appreciate your feedback and are glad that you enjoyed your stay and had a great time. I will pass your comments on to Carol who will be thrilled to recieve them! - thank you from all of us.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed there for 1 week in Jan, 2013. The location is great. Very short walk to the famous Seven Mile Beach (you could snorkel right in front of the hotel). About 10 mins walk to Camana Bay (shopping mall), about 15 mins walk to the Kirks supermarket and about 20 mins walk to Georgetown. The frontdesk service is...well... somtime a bit off. Very impressed with staffs who work in breakfast area, they are very accomodating and super friendly, espeically Mr. Martin (I hope I spell your name right). The selection for breakfast is not great but ok.

Room Tip: not every room has utensils or dishes provided even though there's a microwave in the room.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Aribobo - thank you for your review. I will pass your comments on to Martin with regards the breakfast service that you enjoyed and I will also follow up with the front desk to see what happened. We are gald that you enjoyed our great location! with the beach at the back door. Again thank you for staying with us and I will share your comments with the team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seven Mile Beach
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End

Been to Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach? Share your experiences!