“Quaint”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Dallas
“Quaint”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

First impression was that of a sleepy little hotel. Don't let the quiet charm fool you, this location has a lot to offer. Not as large or fancy as some of the neighboring hotels, and yet, not as stuffy either! Many of the guests I met were repeat and all seemed disappointed when it was time to go home. Downside - if you are on the 3rd floor, you have to haul your own luggage up and down.
Breakfast in the morning was a simple, usually pleasant and relaxed grab and go style. Nothing complicated about it. Juice, milk and cereal, fruit and muffins. If you needed anything, you only had to ask and it was taken care of.
I read some of the other reviews before and after my stay. If you were expecting the Ritz, you missed it by a driveway. If you want to relax, be left on your own and have a clean quiet room, this is worth it.

Room Tip: Stairs not elevators. If you have a lot/heavy luggage, ask for a lower floor. Be sure to check the...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Caspurgeon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Extremely helpful staff.
The included Breakfast a bit picnic like but now in a self contained building (or takeaway)
The rooms are very pleasant and spacious. There is an integral kicthen area and fresh coffee is provided for the coffee making machine.
Very good value with includive flight hotel offer from BA.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Malcolm D
Northport, New York
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I stayed at Sunshine Suites for 9 nights for a dive holiday. It was my fourth time in Cayman and my first time staying at Sunshine. I would definitely stay there again!

The room was small but adequate for my needs. I don't go to Cayman to sit in the room! The bed was comfortable (a must when you are diving four times a day!) There's a big fridge, a microwave and a stove if you plan on cooking simple meals. For those who want to stay connected, wi fi is free and works throughout the property. If you want to catch your TV shows after spending a day in the sun, the TV gets quite a few channels.

The restaurant at Sunshine is really good. I had lunch and dinner there several times. It gets crowded for lunch and dinner early so be ready for a wait. I'd rather have a crowded restaurant than an empty one though! Grab a cold beer or a delicious homemade Painkiller at the bar. Be careful though-you can't taste the rum in the Painkillers! :) A continental "grab and go" breakfast is complimentary. A sit down option is available as well but that is not free. I did not have breakfast as I was up too early to dive, but based on lunch and dinner, I'm sure that breakfast is good, too.

The front desk staff was pleasant and helpful. My air conditioning went on the fritz one night. I told the front desk when I left for my morning dives at 7:30 and it was fixed by the time I came back at 11:30 am.

I didn't have a ton of time to spend at the beach but if you do, Sunshine provides beach chairs and a place to rinse your gear and feet off outside if you don't want to track sand into your room.

For the divers, there is a gear storage area. I like to keep my gear with me, but it's an option.

If you're looking to spend a ton of money for a 5 star property, this is not for you. If you are looking for a clean, comfortable, convenient and affordable stay, Sunshine Suites is the way to go! I'll be back!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank OceanJane
Ontario, California
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

This is a little BATES type motel, the kitchen was busted, the room smelled, DO NOT ask for bottle water they give you 1 and ask you to fill it up by the pool in there igloo, SWEAR.. The " Continental breakfast" was a JOKE I have never seen a muffin cut into so many pieces. Spend a couple of more bucks and go across the street. The beach is close but be careful before you cross the street they drive on the wrong side of the street. The island is beautiful to bad my room wasn't . So disappointed waited forever to for this trip.

Stayed May 2014
5 Thank ATILANOS
gw8522, General Manager at Sunshine Suites Resort, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear ATILANOS,

Thank you for the review however I am confused by your "BATES type motel" comment, it seems rather harsh and inappropriate. As for your other comments, the room was immediately inspected by housekeeping and maintenance supervisors who found everything in the kitchen to be in perfect working order and there were no unusual smells at all. In fact we've had several guests in that same room since your stay and have received wonderful comments about that room and about our services.

I'm sorry you were disappointed with our "free" continental breakfast but yes we do cut our fresh made muffins in half (not '"in many pieces" as you stated). If you wanted more breakfast we of course do offer wonderful gourmet breakfast selections served to order in our on-site TripAdvisor #1 rated Sunshine Grill, all reasonably priced at about $10 per person. Your suggestion to "go across the street" would cost any consumer double that price for breakfast.

I do wish you would have voiced your concerns or disappointments to us while you were still in house, we would have been pleased to do what we could to make your stay more enjoyable. We hope to have that opportunity on your next stay with us.

Best Regards,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 22, 2014

I recently was in the Cayman de-stressing from work. I stayed at the Sunshine Suites. Check in was very easy and I thank the very welcoming staff. My room was nice and comfortable - as I was exhausted from a long stretch of work, I really enjoyed great sleep on the queen bed. Being a Canadian, I enjoyed watching hockey on the flat panel tv in the room as well as in the bar area. The full size fridge was handy to store milk, juice and fruits. I went through some sticker shock on the price of the Grill restaurant but that is standard for the Caymans...and the food was excellent...and their drinks really give a good kick...and you have to love all of the staff who made me feel very welcome and provided A1 service....so it is all good on the balance of things.

It was great to be a two minute walk to the beach but not have to pay the higher prices of resorts on the ocean. My room was on the back of the hotel so I really enjoyed the quiet at night.

The only think somewhat lacking was the maid's reluctance to leave me with a full set of towels. This was quickly rectified by a call to housekeeping.

I would recommend to the resort that you get with the times and install a safe in each room. I did leave my passport and wallet at the safety deposit box at the front desk, but there was no way for me to lock up my ipad when I was not in the room.

In summary, this is a great place - lets just call it my Cayman cottage for future reference.

I would highly recommend this hotel and look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank ABCA64
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I would not hesitate to go again. The location is very convenient because, although it is not right on the beach, you just need to cross one road and Seven Mile Beach is right there. The staff was very helpful and friendly and the environment of the hotel is very pleasant, from the breakfast room to the pool side and the hammocks. Very clean and comfortable rooms. A few shops and cafes are easily accessible on foot.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Marianne H
Reading, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2014

This is a great hotel. Location is very good, just yards from the beach.
Price is exceptional, the hotels like the westin that are ON the beach are at least 2-3 times more expensive, that is a very big premium to pay.
The rooms are very nice and come with microwaves and a proper fridge freezer you can store your own food in. I HATE those hotels with a minibar that actually weighs the stuff so you can't put your own things in it!
Aircon works, properly, which is pretty good in the caribbean.

Saved the best to last...
The front Desk ladies are awesome, they are the nicest friendliest front desk staff you will ever meet anywhere, they go out of the way to be helpful and friendly at all times.

BAD THINGS
To be honest the only issue is that the hotel is 50 yards from the beach rather than on the beach. If you are very rich and can't be bothered to walk 50 yards then this may not be the hotel for you?

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#1 of 1 in East End

Been to Sunshine Suites Resort? Share your experiences!