“Not the best Marriott”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 12, 2011

Location is great. Hotel is a little dreary. My frig was not working. The TV had to be changed as it had this red lazer line going through it. The radio IPOD docking station did not work. The balcony was the smallest I've seen. The lighting in the room is the worst I've seen. My wife could not put on makeup. I barely can see to shave. Never got the same answer twice from the staff. Did not get this warm fuzzy ah feeling in the hotel. Went to meet friends a mile a way at the Ritz. That is a WOW!!!. Spend the extra money and go there. The atrium garden leading to the beach was beautiful I must say

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Bartfirp
Write a ReviewReviews (5,536)

Reviewed January 11, 2011

We stayed here Jan 3-8, king bedded room. We bid on priceline and paid $140. The room was big and clean, we had a balcony with ocean view and Comfort Suites pool view. The bathroom is big also and clean. The housekeeper did a great job cleaning. We don't eat here as it is expensive. We had some of their daily drink specials for $5 with 15% added to the bill. One day hubby and I had two rum punches, the bill was $24, ouch. The pool is nice size and beach crowded. The jacuzzi is nice, only problem they let little kids with sandy feet in it, shouldn't be allowed. The front desk staff were friendly as were the doormen. We didn't get a welcome drink the day we arrived but saw many others during the week getting them. The Marriott is well located for walking to restaurants and free wifi is across the street at Cafe Del Sol. It was nice to beach walk and check out other properties and bars. We would stay here again.

Reviewed January 11, 2011

I accompanied my wife down to the Caymans while she was on a business trip and we stayed at this hotel. Overall, we had a really good experience during our stay. The service we received was excellent, the room was clean and the bed very comfortable. They did not have movies on demand which we found unusual, but the selection of cable channels was fine.

We did have difficulty at times finding beach chairs, but we chalked it up to not arriving at the beach until early- to mid-afternoon. The snorkeling just off the beach was stellar - the Marriott is developing their own reef as a breakwater. It's really starting to take hold and is full of a great variety of sealife. In fact this snorkeling is better than some of the dives I've been on. This is a great plus for the Marriott (although nothing's preventing people from other resorts from snorkeling off of the Marriott's beach) and it protects their beach to boot - I don't know why more hotels don't do it. I caveat about the beach for parents with small children - the water drops off pretty rapidly, and the sand is loose, making it easy to lose your footing.

There have been remarks about costs at this hotel. It's important to remember that everything on the island is expensive, but the Marriott seems to go beyond that (e.g. 1 piece of banana bread, a bottle of V8 cocktail and a coffee for breakfast - $11.) One cost I found ridiculous was in-room broadband. It's $12.95 per day PER DEVICE. Not only is that so last decade in this age of multiple wireless devices, but it's a blatant and needless cash grab.

These costs are why they get 4/5 instead of 5/5.

3  Thank jschooley
Reviewed January 9, 2011

The Beach access is great. The Beach is amazing. The staff are very friendly. Rooms are clean and lots of choice for restaurants. One area for improvement would be the front desk check in process. They only have 2-3 staff on when they know the flight schedules and times of check in. They were very friendly and give you drinks but we waited about 15 minutes in line to check in to the hotel. Overall great stay and we would go back.

1  Thank Beaton62
Reviewed January 6, 2011

The place was immaculate and the service incredible. We love the grotto leading to the beach - very tranquil. Kids will love the many turtles in the pond. Staff was very friendly and respectful.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2011

I've been to numerous all inclusive resorts many of which are somewhat low scale. My boyfriend and I decided that we wanted to go to a much nicer resort where we knew things would be more expensive but they would be worth it. The Marriott in the Grand Cayman was very disappointing to us. The first room we were put in had a toilet that ran all the time. We told them about it and they didn't do a thing. Prior to coming on the trip we called to find out if the rooms had ipod docking stations and we were told they did. Our room didn't have one. We called nicely to inquire and were told they were sorry but they had one on hold for us for the next day. NEVER saw it or heard about it again. We ended up switching rooms because there was an infant next door who was up screaming all night (not the Marriotts fault) and because of the runny toilet. When we went to the desk to inquire about a room change they didn't even acknowledge the problem we presented to them about the toilet. We were told that they had a room but that we needed to move immediately or else they couldn't guarantee it would still be available. We were on our way to breakfast and were basically told their way or the highway. We got to the new room and the sink had a constant drip and the toilet in there also ran. Just not worth reporting at that point.

The drinks and food were very expensive which was to expect however the breakfast buffet which was really the only hot meal option in the morning was all cold for about $25 per person US.

We called the front desk on the day of departure to see if they would be able to check us in for our flight since we didn't have internet access readily available. They said they would be happy to transer me to American Airlines so that I could do so myself. The airline had me on hold for over 20 minutes and I never got through so I hung up. We got a $22 bill for me being on hold when they so politely offered to connect me without telling me I was going to be charged.

When we switched our room my boyfriend accidentally left his Kindle charger in the old room. We called about a half a dozen times to inquire about whether it turned up and if they would call the new people in the room. They didn't once call us back. They kept taking our name and saying they would look into it and call back. They never called.

My biggest disappointment other than the customer service was the misleading pictures. The pool is TINY!!!! I've never been to a resort in the Carribean without a bar in the pool. Not to mention its so cold it's impossible to go in. The beach is nice but is also small. The resort looks a LOT bigger in all of the pictures. We went snorkeling with Captain Marvin's and that was a lot of fun. They took us to Stingray City which was neat. Be careful about which group you go with. Our boat held about 30 people and we were all very comfortable. There are other charters out there who want to make as much money as possible and on the same size boat had 80 people. Standing room only.

Restaraunts off site
Rigatzi (sp?)- pretty good
Royal Palms Reef Grill - very good
Coconut Joe's - good lunch food

Our US dollar is only worth $0.80 there so everything is ridiculously expensive!

As long as your expectations aren't too high then you won't be too disappointed. I'd much rather have spent $500 and gone on a cheap cruise. At least the food would be good and the staff would be friendly and accomodating.

2  Thank lisarx77
Reviewed January 5, 2011

Stayed four nights pre-holiday on a terrific promotion. The hotel has an excellent location on the island, with a beautiful beach and pool area. Service in the dining room for the included buffet breakfast was quite helpful; all the staff in the hotel were friendly and accommodating. Beach service was surprisingly efficient, and made relaxing there a pleasure, though one day we did have the "early morning chaise chase". The rooms were nicely sized with excellent beds. We'll likely return. Many excellent restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Compass Point Dive Resort
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#5 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!