“If you get it cheap, its worth it!”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Boston MA
“If you get it cheap, its worth it!”
Reviewed September 5, 2006

If you stay at the Marriott on 7 mile beach, you better be getting a deal. The beach is rocky, the hotel is large and anonymous, the staff is fairly unhelpful and a little ... almost.... rude. We walked from here to the beach at the Ritz Carlton, which is lovely and not full of rocks. The bar there is very nice, too. So, the rooms at the Marriott are quite mediocre. But, for the monet, it was good, because after all we were in a great over-all location (the Cayman Islands.) We splitour stay between this place, and a little 2 star resort on Cayman Brac called Divi Tiara. If you are going to dive, snorkel, or have a lovely quiet time, go to CAyman Brac instead. Supposedly Grand Cayman has better night life, which may be true in other months, but it was not worth the compromise of over all enjoyment. Rocky, short, crowded beach; mediocre rooms; unhelpful, impolite staff. But, cheap, and close enough to the better places, where you can trek over and lounge...

Stayed August 2006
2 Thank Traveler987654

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,548)
  • Polish first
Atlanta,GA
Reviewed August 21, 2006

My wife and I spent 6 days and 5 nights (Aug 8 – 14) at the Grand Cayman Marriott. I am a 27 year old software sales rep that travels about twice a month for work and my wife works as a management consultant that travels regularly as well. We’ve stayed in a wide range of hotels so while we are not travel critics we know the difference between an average, good, and great hotel. We were using up our Marriott points and wanted to end the summer with a very relaxing trip and the Grand Cayman Marriott did not disappoint. I’ll break down the key areas of this resort:

Priciness: This island is kind of expensive, but it is compounded by the fact that the exchange rate is not currently good for the US ($1US is equal to $0.80 Cayman Island (CI). You add that to the fact they have to ship everything there and you get an island that is probably 17%-20% more expensive than the US. If you prepare for it and realize you are on vacation on one of the most gorgeous islands in the world, you’ll be fine. One benefit of their economy doing so well is you don’t see as much of the poverty and begging as you might see in other islands. The vendors weren’t overly aggressive, we never felt like we were being hounded to buy anything, and in general everyone was very respectful.

Check-In Process: The hotel is about 15 minutes away from the airport and a $15-$20 US cab ride. The check in process was extremely smooth and the staff was very friendly once we arrived. We got to the hotel at about 12:30 local time and our room was ready for an early check in. We were upgraded to an oceanfront room so we had a wonderful view of the beach and patio section of the hotel restaurant Solana.
The bellman picked up our bags and was pleasant and conversational as he took us to our room.

Room & Grounds: Our room was large and nicely appointed. The bathroom was large and everything looked very modern. The cable was a little weak, but hey we didn’t come to the Cayman to sit around the hotel. We stayed on the end of the hotel near the Red Sail Dive shop which was good because there is construction going on at the opposite end at the Comfort Inn next door. We didn’t have any issue with noise but you may want to be on the lookout. The grounds at this hotel were immaculate. The lawn was well manicured with lush vibrant vegetation and even the courtyard view rooms have a well kept garden area with a small pond with actual turtles sunbathing!

Gym, Pool, and Beach: The hotel has an onsite restaurant, a spa, and a fitness center with two treadmills, two bikes, a stepper, free weights, and a Bowflex type all in one weight machine and a flat screen TV. The pool was a nice size and there were constantly servers floating to ensure that you didn’t have to walk to the bar to get your favorite mixed drink. We sat around the pool one day for several hours and there were ample seats available.

The beach was nice, although it was rocky directly in front of the Marriott. (If you don’t want to buy swim shoes, get in the water in front of the green umbrellas at the beach next door, it was smoother over there) One key thing to note is that several of the other hotels on Seven Mile beach are not directly on the beach like the Marriott (like the Ritz) so you have to cross the street to get to the beach. Being able to walk downstairs and be on the beach was priceless.

Onsite Activities: We do not have any children, so the primary things we did onsite were eat, watersports and go to the gym. Red Sail Sports is the onsite dive shop and you can do everything there from rent a waverunner , kayak, and snorkel equipment (yeah snorkel stuff isn’t free, $15 US per day) to book a parasailing or waterskiing trip. My wife and I rented a Waverunner, booked a parasailing trip, and a trip to Stingray City all through Red Sail. They were well staffed and pretty professional. Do keep in mind that a lot of the water stuff is weather dependent, so a couple times we had to stand by and see if the weather would clear up in time for us to go, (it pretty much always did, and all the activities were great). The Friday night all you can eat buffet was OK. It was $40 Cayman + a 15% service fee (around $52 US each when it was all said and done). The food was just OK. There was a wide variety, but it just wasn’t particularly well seasoned, which I guess you should expect at a buffet. That being said, it was good to have an activity on the itinerary (there are two seatings, one at 6 and at 8) and there was a fire eating limbo dancer, so it was entertaining. The people that got their money’s worth were people who really loved all you can eat crab legs or brought a humungous appetite.

Offsite Activities: There were a number of activities to do. Be aware that crossing the street to get to the restaurants, Texaco, etc… is a bit of an experience because there is no crosswalk or stop lights, so you have to be nimble. Stingray City was a ton of fun and well worth it. Be very clear before you go that you are going to be standing in 4 ft of crystal clear water with Stingrays, so if you’re squeamish or not the adventurous type, stay behind!. Hell was absolutely a tourist trap. The only thing to see is a bunch of sharp rocks. If you are geologist, this might be interested in this. If not, I would skip it. We rented a car on our last day and took a scenic drive out to Rum Point (the departure point for Stingray City for Red Sail). It was absolutely beautiful and we got to see a lot of the breathtaking multi-million dollar mansions along the coast. We got our car from Avis onsite at the hotel. It was only marginally more expensive than Andy’s car rental, and there was the added convenience of being able to drop it off at the airport when we were leaving and not having to pay a taxi. Taxi cabs from the hotel to most destinations will be a minimum of $20 US, we used one coming to the hotel and when we went out to dinner to some off the beaten path restaurants. If you are feeling adventurous, you can do what we did and catch one of the minibuses that run up and down the main strip every 15 minutes or so like the locals do. It’s $3-4 US and you get up and down Seven Mile Beach and into the downtown port area pretty easily. Some people on this site have mentioned renting the car for the entire week but unless you are going to be doing a ton of non tour related outings, I wouldn’t spend the money on a week’s rental.

Georgetown (the port town) is similar to most Caribbean port towns, jewelry, t-shirts, etc… all at unbelievable prices. :> Next Level is a nightclub within 5 minutes walking distance that had different themes each night. (Wednesday was Dancehall/Reggae and Thursday was Salsa/Caliente) We went there for the salsa night and had a blast. We didn’t know any of the words but the energy was amazing. There were a lot of locals there with a wide age range but predominantly mid-to late twenties – late 30’s. There is also another club pretty close called the Matrix but we didn’t make it. There is also an Internet Café about a 10 minute walk up in the Diving Supply shopping center on the strip that has 10 minutes of internet access for $2 CI if you need to check in with the outside world.

Dining: There were a number of dining options very close to the hotel. The Texaco everyone mentions is perfect for getting snacks, drinks for the fridge in the room There is also a place called Ali Kebabs near the Texaco that we loved. Coconut Joes is right across from the hotel and was reasonably priced in comparison to some of the other restaurants. ($15 a piece for standard fare breakfast of eggs, toast, orange juice, and breakfast meat). Everything you hear about Calypso Grill being great is true. You can sit outside on a patio built into the ocean, and the night my wife and I went there was a full moon out. It was picture perfect, but pricey. (She had lobster and shrimp and one drink, I had salmon, desert, and no alcohol, and it still came out to $101 US. One night we hung out for dinner at Aqua Beach right across from the Marriott. Again, marginally expensive but decent food. We also had some good food at Cimboco, the lemon butter Shrimp was fantastic. We also went to a hole in the wall place that all the locals go to downtown called Singhs Roti shop. The patrons looked like they had been coming there for twenty years but everyone was friendly and the food was good.

Summary: Overall the Marriott was beautiful, the island as a whole is breathtaking and all the places we saw seem to have recovered perfectly from Ivan 2 years ago. We felt very safe walking around the island even late at night and all the locals were extremely friendly. It was the perfect lay around in the sun, eat well, drink well, do some activities so you don’t feel like a total bum vacation:> I would highly recommend the Marriott in a heart beat and we will be returning in the coming years.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cable TV
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
55 Thank Crucian_Man
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed August 17, 2006

I stayed at the Marriott, Aug 3-7th. The hotel overall is OK. We had a nice ocean view room with a small mini fridge, just big enough to hold a 6 pack of beer. We had a double room where the beds where too small for two of us to sleep in. Fortunately, they had a pull-out couch, but it has no sheets or blankets in the closet. For a resort, there was just nothing special about it. We have travelled to many tropical places, i.e Cancun, St Thomas, Curacao, Hawaii, etc and they were all nicer.

My biggest complaint is be careful about how things are priced. We signed up for the Buccaneers Feast on Friday night, which was $40 for adults and I think 20 for children. I specifically asked the concierge if that was USD or Cayman money and was told USD. Well to my surprise, the bill was 25% higher when I got it because it was in Cayman Dollars. The rate is 1.25 Cayman to USD. Everything they quote is in Cayman dollars and if you pay in USD you always get Cayman money back. I was prepared for the high prices due to reading these reviews but some of it was riddiculous. I had a 2 year old and for a bottle of milk from the bar they charged me $15 USD. They also add 15% automatically to everything so be careful what you tip.

Also get to the Avis counter early in the am. There is always a line and all the cheaper cars go fast.

On the positive side. Housekeeping was very friendly and even gave my kids a rubber ducky.

As far as the island ... it was pretty. The turtle farm was ok, but pricey for just being able to hold a turtle in a tank. Alot of construction going on there, trying to make it a bigger attraction with a snorkeling lagoon. Hell is a tourist trap, but is kind of fun to send a postcard that you've been to Hell and back. We did the Pirates Cave in Bodden Town, which is basically someone's backyard with some barnyard animals in it (Skip It). The blowholes have been destroyed by the hurricane. We drove by them 3x before we saw them.

Stingray City is a must see. We used Fantasea and had a good time. Only about 20 people on our boat. Rum's Point I thought was awesome and The Wreck bar out there was good for lunch. Surprisingly, I found the butterfly farm behind the hotel very interesting. My family thought I was nuts at first, but the guides were very informative. Being with kids, we didn't get any fine dining experiences, but most people we met on the trip raved about the Wharf and Calypso's Grill.

Overall, you can't go wrong with a caribbean vacation and we had a good time. I just don't think the Caymans were worth the $$$ compared to other destinations.

• Liked — Houskeeping was nice; Margarita's were good; Overall the staff was nice and friendly
  • Disliked — Prices; Size of fridge in room
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
16 Thank keshaffer
Maryland
Reviewed August 1, 2006

My husband and I just returned from a week-long trip to Grand Cayman, July 24-31. We loved the Marriott! This was our first trip to the island, but I had done my homework and knew about the expensive food. Meals at this resort were priced similar to all the other quality restaurants, and the food was consistently excellent. I highly recommend Solana Restaurant which is open-air and overlooks the beach with lovely sunsets.
Our 4th floor room was spacious and elegant. Service was excellent. Every staff member was helpful and courteous, and they truly seemed to want to please you. To get to the beach, you walk through the center courtyard, which is beautifully landscaped with tropical plants and palm trees around a narrow, winding turtle pond. I loved the layout of this hotel. The pool and restaurant overlook the beach. We were there during the off-season, so it was not crowded at all and we never had trouble getting chairs or umbrellas. I loved the fact that the patio areas were so close to the water. We snorkled almost every day right at our beach and took many walks along Seven Mile Beach in either direction. Very safe and especially beautiful at night!
Speaking of night, this is a great time to enjoy the pool, which stays open until 11 pm. Very peaceful and almost deserted.
I have to say something about noise. I am a very light sleeper and so this matters a great deal to me. Our room seemed to be very well sound-proofed. I never heard any talking or TV through the walls, floor or ceiling. Some noise did come through the balcony glass doors and from the hallway, but for some reason, most people seemed to turn in early and it was very quiet at night. However, there is something you should know. We were not next to the Comfort Inn, so I can't speak about noise from their pool music. We faced the condos next door which were being renovated. So every morning at 8 AM, you could hear the sounds of banging or even a jackhammer. Nomally, this would drive me crazy, but since I fell asleep early every night, I didn't mind getting up at that time.
As others have said, the Stingray City is definitely worth doing-- use Soto's for the best price. The Marriott is well-located within walking distance of many restaurants. Just beware of people at booths on the street offering free gifts or prizes--- these are time-share schemes, even if they never mention those words!
So other than the construction noise, we absolutely loved the Marriott!

18 Thank Severn
Long Island, New York
Reviewed July 26, 2006

I was a little nervous about staying at the resort after reading some of the previous reviews but I was pleasantly surprise with a nice clean and comfortable room for a price of $185 USD a night. My aunt and I had a garden view which was good since you're not going to spend much time in the room anyway. You have to pay for non-motorized sports at the hotel such as kayaks, snokeling equipment etc. The water was great and you can see lost of fish just a few feet from the shore. The beach is small but welcoming and great lounge chairs and umbrellas (at no charge unlike the Westin or Ritz). They have a small spa which was quiet expensive as with the spas at the Westin and Ritz too. It costs $160 USD for a 50 minutes Swedish massage and at the Ritz $186 USD for a 60 minutes one. I live in NYC and I can get a 60 minute massage for $90-$110 USD at a really nice spa. Needless to say the spas were empty...no customers at that price. My aunt and I went on a tour of each spa so that's how I got this information.

We rented a car which was a very good idea. Hertz at the airport for $260 USD (including insurance and drivers permit that is required by the Cayman government). This enable us to come and go as we please for a lot less money. Definately go to Stingray City its worth $50 USD and parasailing that was the highlight of the trip. The turtle farm is a rip off. The cost jump from $6 USD to $12 USD starting July 1st, 2006. There really wasn't much to see but the turtles in some tanks. -Rum cake factory is across the street and Hell town is just hype but we went anyway. Downtown was okay but very expensive clothing. Some of the clothing I have at home and got for a lot less money too. I saw a beaded top I got at JCPenney in Long Island for $11 USD for $48 CI dollars which is approx. $60 USD.

Food was the same thing... Over priced for nothing spectacular. We had two appetizers and a mixed green salad for $33.15 CI (approx. $41.44 USD). I can't imagine having a main course at the hotel restaurant. The Wharf restaruant was the same thing overpriced for the portions. Wear bug repellant too if you eat out doors in the evening. Coconuts across the street from the Marriott is reasonable for breakfast and dinner (like TGI Fridays). If you like West Indian food Champion House or Mangos is good and not fancy but fairly priced. Food and clothing was very pricey. Not many attractions unless you are a diving enthusiasts. No beggars on the street or beach or people selling goods on the street.

I enjoyed my stay at the Marriott the room was clean, comfortable and colorful and got to do the few activities on the island, but I wouldn't come back to this location because things are over priced and I saw mostly everything. It would be nice if the Marriott offered complimentary coffee and tea in the morning like they do in the states. One cup of Coffee and tea costs $6 USD in a take out paper cup.

• Liked — It was clean and comfortable, good location and I could reserve without making a deposit.
  • Disliked — No complimentary coffee or tea as in the states. Prices for food were so high at least tea or coffee could be offered
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring extra money to eat. The cost for food and drinks in Grand Cayman are double what you would pay in the US for the same meal.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
18 Thank crbrowne
marietta, ga
Reviewed July 21, 2006

My husband and I stayed at this resort for a "free" vacation using Marriott points. We were prepared to spend money on food, but the prices at the resort were ridiculous. No meal was less than $65 American dollars for the two of us, breakfast included. A service charge was applied to everything as well, so one drink cost about $10 American dollars, bottled water was $9, etc. We even had to pay a service charge for our room each night - so much for our "free" room. The beach was nice, but tiny. The service was adequate, but not great. One good thing about the resort is that we could walk to several good restaurants and there was a Texaco across the street where we went to buy snacks. We had a nice, relaxing vacation, but would never return to this "resort" (still haven't figured out what classifies it as a resort, other than the outrageous prices).

• Liked — proximity to good restaurants, not very crowded
  • Disliked — extremely expensive, small beach
  • Tips/Secrets — happy hour everyday from 5-6 on the beach
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
17 Thank junphoo
London UK
Reviewed July 4, 2006

OK, so it’s a Marriott, and there were little things which kept reminding us of the fact that this was not quite a 5 star place (loose toilet seat, shower curtain instead of a shower screen, peeling paint by the bath, obtrusive music at breakfast etc) but it is still probably the second best hotel on the island (topped only by the new Ritz-Carlton). That said, my wife and I were pleasantly surprised when we stayed here in June 2006. The room was big and comfortable enough with a balcony large enough to sit out on, the service was both friendly and efficient (Ronald on the beach was something of a character), the food was fine, the pool was clean and the beach was fine (although Ivan has left some depredation in the form of sharp rocks under the water: tip—buy some beach walkers at Diving Supplies just up the road). A few more tips about Cayman: this is quite an expensive island but the shopping in Georgetown is great if rather high-end (don’t expect to find jeans for $5 or even $50); Cayman has great restaurants—we ate at three: Calypso Grill (a bit out of the way but great food and nice ambience right on the water, well worth it); the Lobster Pot (as the name implies, excellent for lobster but we also had great snapper and Claudia knocks up a mean Pina Colada); and the Wharf (terrific ambience but the food was not that great). We would also recommend a day at Rum Point (preferably a week day as it is very popular with the locals at weekends)—free sun loungers and a fantastic beach, just great for chilling out. In terms of diving and snorkelling, Sting Ray City is a must. We used Red Sail, a very efficient and well-organised operation but they tended to go out in the afternoon which was not always the best time (the sea seemed to get rougher). We heard good reports about Captain Marvin (who go out in the morning). Lastly, the rum cake. Load up on it; it really is great stuff. Would we go back? To the Caymans certainly but may be not to the Marriott.

• Stayed June 2006