“It's what you make of it!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
New York, NY
“It's what you make of it!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2009

Pros:
Clean Hotel, Great Service
Good Location, Beautiful Beach
Solano Restaurant for lunch was great

Cons:
Small Hotel with small pool (but spent most of the time on the beach anyway)
Not many options for food at hotel
Uncomfortable bed
Pricey

Comments:
Not a bad option if you can get a good deal at this hotel. Not the largest resort on the Island but more affordable than the others. The rooms were decent, housekeeping always forgot something but if you called they took care of it right away. Very friendly staff.

Used Red Sail for Stingray City Tour and Avis at the hotel - convenient so it was fine if we paid a few extra bucks. Solona was great for lunch, expensive but truly enjoyed all our meals. Went out to dinner most nights - Reef Grille (walking distance) and Calypso Grill are great options. Chicken Chicken is near hotel, can be a good option for an inexpensive meal as well as Champions for local food.

Go to the supermarket or gas station to buy snacks and beverages, there is a fridge in the room. Rented a car for one day - drove to Georgetown to shop for souveniers, drove to Rum Pointe for a nice day at the beach (Jet Ski rentals much cheaper than hotel) and drove to dinner at Calypso Grill since its far from the hotel. Well worth the $60 to rent and fill the tank. Cabs can get quite expensive.

Overall a great trip!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,443)
  • Polish first
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2009

We stayed here in August of 2009. They do not have roll away beds, but they had a sofa bed for our son. The hotel is a little tired and in need of some paint. But the room was comfortable and the bed was absolutely fabulously comfortable!

The best part about this hotel was the location. It is right on 7 Mile beach and it faces west so that every night you can sit on the beach and watch spectacular sunsets. The pool is very small and too warm, but the beach is great. The beach also has an artificial reef so that non snorkelers and swimmers can still see the fish and marine life around the beach.

The staff was very pleasant and the service was prompt and lovely. It would have been nice to have had a concierge who was on duty more often. Also the Red Sail sports that is run out of the hotel is not the best outfit for the trips on the island, although the Avis rates there were the lowest.

We *very* much enjoyed our stay. We would definitely go back.

Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2009

We booked two of the most inexpensive rooms for 4 nights and when we arrived, they upgraded us to one oceanside suite and a poolside access 1st floor oceanside free of charge. I just had to ask and they gave us better rooms. Of course it was the slow season and the hotel was not full, but a nice surprise for us.

California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2009

changed hotels from Comfort Inn to Marriott and what a nice hotel. Staff was so nice and gave me a early check in of 1030A. Breakfast buffet was included in room special and was good with great service - staff always friendly. Prime beachfront with great snorkeling area. Room very nice with great products in bathroom. Very nice infused lemon/lime water in lobby during day.

maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2009

My boyfriend & I of 4 yrs went here just recently for 6 days. This was his first time out of the country and I haven't been out of the country in about 8yrs. And let me say--this place is absolutely beautiful! The Marriott is in the center of it all on Seven Mile Beach. Not too far from the airport (like 15/20 min). Rooms were clean, the hotel is immaculate, the pool was nice though they needed to clean it a little more often (floating leaves/bugs) but the beach is literally steps away--gorgeous! We stayed in a courtyard view room which was nice--it looked down on the turtle lagoon. Make sure you set up some day trips with the Red Sail Sports folks. We went to Stingray City & we did a sunset cruise--loved it! The island isn't that big but you should definitely get a car to get around. Beware of the Budget Rental Car at the airport!!! I made my reservation with them through Cheaptickets.com. When I arrived--they asked me if I wanted the insurance they offered--I declined. They then informed me that including my rental fee, they were going to hold $1000 on my credit card and if I accepted their insurance they would hold my rental fee plus $500! Ridiculous! I quickly canceled my reservation with them and walked over to the Dollar Rental Car--they were very friendly and offered me a bigger car for $10 more than what I was going to get at Budget and there were no hidden fees or holds. So make sure you check into that when renting a car. Other than that slight snag--our overall vacation was the greatest--can't wait to go back!

2 Thank suprmdl76
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2009

The hotel itself, was nice enough as was the staff. There is a condo being built next to the hotel so there is construction noise. We knew this coming in so we were pre-warned. We were placed on the side that was next to the construction but the room was nice and big with a view of the ocean so we thought we deal with it. On the same side there is also a Comfort Inn that can get pretty loud from pool parties, DJ's and live bands, this was enough to keep us up at night . With all of the noise, our relaxing vacation was not so relaxing. I did talk to management and they were very helpful and gave us a court yard room. This room was much quieter but somewhat smaller and had a slightly musty smell. The hotel was full so we decided the slight musty smell was better than the construction and hotel noise. Food on the island is expensive so be prepared. The dollar is worth eighty cents to the the Cayman dollar so that made food even more expensive. The are several places to eat with in walking distance with fairly reasonable prices but no really stand out places. The beach itself in front of the hotel is gorgeous . Great snorkeling right out front and we enjoyed morning strolls every morning on the beach. Word of warning- do not order frozen drinks at the Marriott bar. I am a light weight when it comes to drinking but my margaritta was like drinking a very expensive slurpee- no alcohol!!!!! If you truly want a frozen drink, make sure you watch them make it so you can see what is put in it!

1 Thank sparkles59
va
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

We stayed at the Marriott from August 5th to August 10th, 2009. The hotel itslef is nice. It is definetly the best location on the 7 mile beach. We have been to many islands so we know our way around. This island is dead - it is a rock in the middle of the caribbean. It does not have any personallity at all. Now as far as the Marriott itself - its nice. The rooms and the lobby and the beach are just great. The food is so overpriced I almost had a heart attack. CI dollars are 120% more than American dollars - so be careful. The food and resteraunts are the most expensive that I have ever experiened. If you value a dollar and hate to spend money on food - DO NOT GO THE THE CAYMAN ISLANDS. I am not cheap but I was getting in figjhts with my family about the prices. One night my wife finally convinced me to eat at the hotel. We had the Caribbean night out on the beach for 4 people - my wife,two teenage sons and myself. Buffet - decent food. How much do you think it costs? ------ $285 american for average food. Stupid. I will never go back to the Ci because 1. not the interesting 2. way way way overpriced. If you do go - go to stingray city - the best deal on the island and really the only thing to do outside of the hotel that is worth it. Its not even worth it to rent a car - which we did and drive around the island - dead - georgetown - dead. If you do go - eat breakfast across the street at Cocunut Joes - 5.75 CI for a good breakfast - vs - the marriott rip off for 16.95 for a very basic buffet. - Now I have read many reviews on this site and would not BS anyone. I am fair and telling the truth. Do not go to the CI>>>>> ps. internet wifi access is 15.95 CI perday - crazy...

• 2 of 5 bubbles