“Great for families-not so much for couples”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Virginia
“Great for families-not so much for couples”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We just returned from a six day trip to the Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort. The location is outstanding with fantastic dining options across the street (more on that later). The staff was incredibly friendly and the hotel was very clean. Many of the reviews shared a lot of activities for families and all of them are true. This hotel had an event every night for families-from movie night to Smore's as well as many activities at the pool. The beach assistant's walked around each afternoon offering popsicles and even cotton candy one day. I would highly recommend the Marriott for families. However, I would not recommend it if you are looking for a romantic getaway. The beach is very narrow and despite the fact that we arrived in the off season, kids were everywhere as beach chairs were literally on top of one another. Also, there is a smoking section on the beach however guests smoked no matter where they sat. It was frustrating to stake out our seats early in the morning and get settled in only to have someone nearby smoking. The pool area was nice but small. For a resort, I thought it would be much bigger and I swore it had two pools including a swim up bar. It does not. You never have to leave the hotel all week as there are different themed nights for dining options in the hotel. There is also a dive center right on site to book excursions albeit they are quite expensive and many other options are available on the island with free pick up for guests at the hotel.

There is no concierge lounge and as Gold members we are usually provided with a free breakfast at the hotel when no concierge lounge is on site however, that is not the case at this Marriott. I exchanged emails with the hotel prior to arrival and they made it very clear that breakfast was not included. When we checked in we were provided with a free breakfast for 2 the first day which was nice. Regularly it is 22 CI per person. Directly across the street is an outside eatery called Coconut Joes. They have a great breakfast ranging from 7-11 CI and also have reasonable lunch options too. The fish tacos are fantastic. Also, across the street is Craft F&B. The beer options are the best on the island and the food is outstanding. We ate at Craft 4 times during our visit. Again, the prices are much more reasonable than the hotel. One night we went to Decker's for their Lobster night. It was 49 CI per person versus 75 CI at the Marriott.

The concierge was unable to make reservations for the two excursions we chose...a snorkel trip to Starfish Reef, Stingray City, and two other reefs with Tours Cayman as well as a horse swim with Pampered Ponies because the hotel does not have an agreement with those groups. The snorkel trip with Tours Cayman was 30 CI per person with a 5% discount if you pay cash. The snorkel trip with the watersport center located at the hotel is 80 CI. We were picked up at our hotel by both Tours Cayman and Pampered Ponies. The bar prices at the hotel were costly but that was to be expected. Most of the frozen drinks were 12 CI and beer around 6.50-7 CI per can. It can be quite costly.

Overall, a nice hotel with very friendly staff. However, if you are looking for a romantic getaway, this may not be the place for you.

Room Tip: Room 413 faced the courtyard and was quite pleasant.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SAB B
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear SAB B, thanks for providing feedback on your recent vacation with us. We really appreciate your generous comments about our outstanding location, incredibly friendly staff and nice hotel.

We also appreciate your kind words about our resort being family friendly but are sorry to hear that that you felt that couples may not enjoy it as much. Did you have the chance to check out any of our Specialty Nights during your stay? One of my favorite evenings is Simply Fish at our beachside restaurant Solana on Sundays. Besides the fresh and tasty food, Solana offers such a romantic dining experience. What can beat the glow of candlelight and the gentle sound of the waves crashing in the background while enjoying a delicious meal with a loved one?

With regards to your comments on how expensive food is in Cayman, I live here so I understand. Unfortunately one of the few downsides of living in our beautiful island is the high cost of food overall due to the number of items that are imported from abroad. As much as we try to source locally grown food, there are many circumstances where this is not possible. For example, some vegetables and fruits cost 30% more in Cayman than in any state in the US because they are brought in from oversees.

I would like to thank you for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Ingrid Chaves, Director of Rooms Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,492)
  • Polish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Hotel is impeccable. Service outstanding. Food and drinks first class. Best beach I have been to.
Everyone from the Font Desk Laura, Dining Room Michael, Eloisa, Ruby Ann, Wendy, Migna. Beach server Michelle. Room maid Doris. Social Director Bernal. And everybody else were fabulous. The quality of food an drinks was excellent. I can't say enough other that I never expected all of this. I strongly recommend anyone considering an all inclusive beach package to go for this.

Room Tip: Both our rooms were very noiseless, clean, close to elevators, had partial beach view. Large TV scre...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Dear Orlando A, thanks for providing feedback on your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you had an unforgettable vacation! We really appreciate your generous comments about our impeccable hotel, outstanding service, first-class food and drinks and amazing beach.

I will make sure to tell Laura, Michael, Eloisa, Ruby Ann, Wendy, Migna, Michelle, Doris and Bernal that you mentioned them in your review. They will all be thrilled to hear that they made a lasting impression on your time with us!

At our resort, we do our best to provide our guests with the ultimate beach house experience by creating a fun and relaxed atmosphere where friends and family can spend quality time together. I hope you had the chance to experience our bonfire nights during your stay. We hand out ingredients to our guests so that they can make S’mores – it is one of my favourite family activities as it brings back such happy childhood memories!

Thank you for recommending us and we hope to welcome you and your family back to our beautiful island again very soon.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2014

We recently stayed for just over a week and I cannot praise all staff enough for being extremely helpful and very friendly, this is a fantastic hotel to unwind and the lovely beach is only yards from hotel with plenty loungers available at all times . The hotel is immaculate and extremely well maintained , we had an ocean front room with balcony which was excellent . Around 5-00 pm we would go and have cocktails sitting at the beach bar and watch the sun going down , my favourite was the rum hurricane which was very potent and a good start to the evening before having our meal , each night they have a different theme night , my favourite being lobster night offering unlimited lobster which was delicious . I will add that my wife and I have stayed at many top resorts around the world and this one comes out on top . If you want a relaxing vacation by the beach , stay here and you will enjoy !

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Islandman50, we really appreciate you leaving a review of your recent vacation with us. We are so glad that you had a fantastic beach holiday! Thanks you for all your kind comments about our extremely helpful and very friendly staff as well as our immaculate and well-maintained hotel.

You mentioned that you took in some beautiful sunsets while sitting at the beach bar. Watching the Cayman sunset is a big ritual for us and we want to share this experience with our guests. You may have noticed that we set up distinctive right on the beachfront at the end of the day so guests have the perfect picture opportunity as the sun goes down. We are glad that you were able to drink in a few sunsets with a lovely cocktail in hand!

Coming from a couple who travel to many of the top resorts around the world, your recommendation means a lot to us. Thank you for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we hope to see you and your wife again very soon.

Oviedo, Florida
Reviewed June 21, 2014

This Marriott had beautiful views of the ocean, an awesome courtyard area with turtles and pretty lights at night, and extremely friendly staff. We had an oceanfront room and it was beautiful, just steps away from the sand. Our children absolutely adored Kathryn from the kids club. They had the opportunity to enjoy the Dolphin and Me experience, kite decorating and flying, and some other arts and crafts. They kept asking to go spend more time with Kathryn. The Marriott really did a great job catering to the kids. In the afternoons around the pool they passed out ice cream or cotton candy. Both kids loved the movie night with popcorn at the pool. Everyone on the entire island was extremely kid friendly.

Davina and Mellanie at the concierge desk were both wonderful and helped us schedule some really fun activities around the island. If you do stingray city, it's totally worth getting up for the breakfast sail with the stingrays. This was recommended to us, and we were out on the sandbar bright and early before anyone else. We had a lot more individual time with the stingrays. We also ate at Solana several times. The kids loved the Buccaneer night with face painting and balloon twisting. Overall, our entire stay was wonderful and we did not want to leave! If you have kids, this is definitely a great resort to stay at with your family.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Laura D, thank you so much for sharing your recent experience with us. We are happy that you and your family had a great time! We appreciate your kind words about our beautiful views, awesome courtyard area and extremely friendly staff. I will make sure to pass on your compliments to Davina and Mellanie – they will be pleased to hear that they made a positive impression on your stay with us.

I agree, I think Kathryn is the best! She is so fantastic with children. Our Kids Club offers our families something different than others. Thinking about all the things that we used to enjoy from our childhood, Kathryn and I chose activities that families could do together such as spending time around a bonfire and making S’mores, kite flying and building boats to race in the Turtle Lagoon. Our aim was to make it less about technology and more about re-connection. We are so glad that your kids had a great time!

Thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to see you and your family again very soon!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 21, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this breathtaking beach resort last month for our one year wedding anniversary and we couldn’t of picked a more perfect hotel/location to celebrate it at!! =)
Our week long stay was truly nothing short of amazing!!

From the moment we arrived at the resort, we were greeted by the doormen – who kindly assisted us with our luggage and walked us over to the Front Desk where they welcomed us again, accommodated our early check-in request (that was much appreciated) and helped us plan our week on the island.
It doesn’t just end there … the housekeepers, all of the restaurant staff (we tried all the fabulous restaurants on property =) … Solana’s unlimited lobster night is to die for!); simply every individual we crossed paths with at this property made an effort to introduce themselves and get to know us (kudos to creating personal connections with your guests – you all nailed it!!).
We can’t stop raving about the entire staff at this resort, they’re some of the most professional, courteous, and friendly people we’ve ever encountered during our many travels around the globe!

A special mention to the following people for their exceptional service (our apologies for misspelling any names):
- Rafael
- Gieri (excellent check-in experience)
- Howard (outstanding customer service)
- Richard
- Hanna (always super friendly)
- Nicol (we first met her at Red Parrot; she made sure to always say hello each time she saw us around the resort)
- Mark (he makes the best omelets!!)
- Mirna
- Karen
- Marc (superb Restaurant Manager)
- Maria Paz (wonderful service – she made unlimited lobster night just that much better)
- Emil (he was such a delight)
- Yogushi (always so polite)

Last but not least, a huge THANK YOU to PAMELA LEA PLAZA for her impeccable customer service!!! She is by far one of the most thoughtful individuals we have ever met – from her daily personalized cards and amenities to making our reservation at Solana and ensuring we had the best table/view; we’ve never felt so special!! She easily made this an unforgettable trip and anniversary … THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! She is a true diamond and asset to this Marriott property!!

We can’t wait to go back!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MRS V
Dear MRS V, we are absolutely thrilled that your stay with us was nothing short of amazing! We genuinely love hearing when our guests have a fantastic time at our resort and I am so glad that you and your husband enjoyed your one-year wedding anniversary with us.

I agree, I think my colleagues are the most professional and kindest team in Cayman. I will make sure to pass on your compliments to all the people that you mentioned. I know they will be delighted to hear that you specified them individually in your review.

Travelling – even if it is going on vacation – can easily become a stressful situation. From dealing with tight security procedures at the airport and getting on a cramped and uncomfortable plane to arriving at your destination only to be welcomed by lines to get through Immigration and Customs, retrieving your luggage and catching a taxi, we know that that the ‘beginning’ of a vacation is not usually fun. But once you get to our hotel, we want all of the stress of travelling to melt away. We want you to feel that you have finally ‘arrived’ and your vacation has officially begun. I am so glad that once you got to our Beach House you were pampered by all our staff and made to feel welcome!

Thank you also for all your kind words regarding my customer service. It really means a lot to me and it was absolutely my pleasure assisting you and your husband!

Thank you for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Pamela Lea Plaza, At Your Service Supervisor
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 20, 2014

So our first room we checked into reeked of raw sewage once you opened the balcony door. We made a call to the front desk and their explanation was "it's usually on the other side." No place should ever stink of sewage. They accommodated us by changing our room, but after going out for the night and returning, we were called by the front desk with noise complaints after having a normal noise level conversation. This was less than 5 minutes after returning, mind you. If you have guests complaining of other rooms having a normal conversation, you obviously have cheap walls with zero insulation and you need to do something to remedy that. We haven't heard a peep from any other room, so I find it hard to believe that someone was that disturbed by us immediately when we are not loud and obnoxious. Granted there were three young gentlemen walking down the hall when we returned, on the phone loudly, but it must have come from our specific room? I find that hard to believe. And the hotel's solution? Send up 2 security guards to stand in the hall without actually letting anyone know of their presence, and they could "hear us talking." Talking. Not yelling or screaming or being out of control. This is not the standard of hotel or "resort" I would recommend to anyone. Or if you must come here , don't talk after dark. You will get reprimanded.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank yeeness
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear yeeness, thanks for providing a review of our resort. We are deeply sorry to hear about the issues involving the rooms that you stayed in.

We appreciate any comments that will help us improve upon the experiences of our guests. I have shared your feedback with the whole team so that we can evaluate what we could have done better to handle the situations you have mentioned. But again, I would like to extend my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the two rooms you stayed in.

Please feel free to contact me personally so we can discuss what happened in more detail. We want to do what we can to ensure that our guests are enjoying their time with us. You can email me on ingrid.chaves@marriott.com or call me on (345) 949-0088.

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed June 20, 2014

I had done research on this hotel and cayman islands for about a year before going and read so many mixed reviews.
One thing you will take away is that the island is absolutely beautiful, I have been to many places and this is gorgeous, the beach is incredible.
The beach area at the hotel is very good, great snorkeling around the reefs, lots of beautiful fish. It was a nice set up with all the rafts/trampolines.
As everyone else says "it is expensive", we picked up bottles at duty free on way into Cayman and we also shopped at the grocery store (20 minute walk from hotel, nice walk) which we had breakfast and lunch, so we really only went out for dinners. Lots of beautiful restaurants on the water near the hotel (but still expensive but worth it).
The hotel itself is fine, its not really a 5 star hotel, marriott has many hotels that are way nicer but it was a very adequate hotel. Maids did a great job each day and people at the front doors were very friendly, cant take that away from them. The front desk people I was not overly pleased with as at check out time they tried to charge me a higher rate than what I was quoted, literally had to fight with them on the extra charges, luckily I brought my invoice with me from the marriott rewards program and they still wanted to charge me more when it was right there in black and white, really put a damper on the end of a nice week getaway.
The beach area is also alright, it is busy but the job of the hotel is to have a high occupancy rate so that will make the beach area busy but you will never have an issue getting a chair, you dont really have to worry about the front row chairs when you have a nice beach and great water, I'm not one to go and spend my holiday sitting on a chair when you have beautiful water like they do.
It is a ride range of ages at the hotel, lots of families, lots of weddings but its a vacation place so it was fine.
I did not have a great experience at the restaurant, no one came to serve us after 10 minutes, I had to go and find someone and then it still was not great service, I have always been a great tipper regardless but this waitress did not deserve the gratuity (sorry).
It is also waaay too many points for this hotel when you can stay at a JW Marriott in a place like Palm Dessert (one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in).
Lastly, take a trip down to the peer, its a good half hour walk but nice to see, also do the stingray city, it is a once in a lifetime trip.

Room Tip: yes it would have been great to be in a room with an ocean view but we did face the courtyard, a cou...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Derek M, thank you for providing a review on your recent vacation with us. We appreciate your kind words about our nice beach area, great snorkeling at our Artificial Reef as well as our friendly front door and housekeeping staff.

The satisfaction of our guests is our top priority so we deeply regret that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay. You may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing a major renovation in September which will change the look and feel of all our communal areas, including our lobby, restaurants and fitness centre. The updates are going to be impressive and we hope to welcome you back soon so we can show off the spectacular new design of our resort.

But I really appreciate you bringing to my attention the areas of your vacation that you felt warranted improvement. I have shared your comments with the team and we are evaluating what we can do to enhance the experiences of our future guests.

I welcome you to contact me if you would like to discuss this further. Please feel free to email me on ingrid.chaves@marriott.com or call me on (345) 949-0088.