“Great Family Friendly Resort”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Oviedo, Florida
“Great Family Friendly Resort”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

This Marriott had beautiful views of the ocean, an awesome courtyard area with turtles and pretty lights at night, and extremely friendly staff. We had an oceanfront room and it was beautiful, just steps away from the sand. Our children absolutely adored Kathryn from the kids club. They had the opportunity to enjoy the Dolphin and Me experience, kite decorating and flying, and some other arts and crafts. They kept asking to go spend more time with Kathryn. The Marriott really did a great job catering to the kids. In the afternoons around the pool they passed out ice cream or cotton candy. Both kids loved the movie night with popcorn at the pool. Everyone on the entire island was extremely kid friendly.

Davina and Mellanie at the concierge desk were both wonderful and helped us schedule some really fun activities around the island. If you do stingray city, it's totally worth getting up for the breakfast sail with the stingrays. This was recommended to us, and we were out on the sandbar bright and early before anyone else. We had a lot more individual time with the stingrays. We also ate at Solana several times. The kids loved the Buccaneer night with face painting and balloon twisting. Overall, our entire stay was wonderful and we did not want to leave! If you have kids, this is definitely a great resort to stay at with your family.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Dear Laura D, thank you so much for sharing your recent experience with us. We are happy that you and your family had a great time! We appreciate your kind words about our beautiful views, awesome courtyard area and extremely friendly staff. I will make sure to pass on your compliments to Davina and Mellanie – they will be pleased to hear that they made a positive impression on your stay with us.

I agree, I think Kathryn is the best! She is so fantastic with children. Our Kids Club offers our families something different than others. Thinking about all the things that we used to enjoy from our childhood, Kathryn and I chose activities that families could do together such as spending time around a bonfire and making S’mores, kite flying and building boats to race in the Turtle Lagoon. Our aim was to make it less about technology and more about re-connection. We are so glad that your kids had a great time!

Thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to see you and your family again very soon!

Ingrid Chaves, Director of Rooms Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,527)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 21, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this breathtaking beach resort last month for our one year wedding anniversary and we couldn’t of picked a more perfect hotel/location to celebrate it at!! =)
Our week long stay was truly nothing short of amazing!!

From the moment we arrived at the resort, we were greeted by the doormen – who kindly assisted us with our luggage and walked us over to the Front Desk where they welcomed us again, accommodated our early check-in request (that was much appreciated) and helped us plan our week on the island.
It doesn’t just end there … the housekeepers, all of the restaurant staff (we tried all the fabulous restaurants on property =) … Solana’s unlimited lobster night is to die for!); simply every individual we crossed paths with at this property made an effort to introduce themselves and get to know us (kudos to creating personal connections with your guests – you all nailed it!!).
We can’t stop raving about the entire staff at this resort, they’re some of the most professional, courteous, and friendly people we’ve ever encountered during our many travels around the globe!

A special mention to the following people for their exceptional service (our apologies for misspelling any names):
- Rafael
- Gieri (excellent check-in experience)
- Howard (outstanding customer service)
- Richard
- Hanna (always super friendly)
- Nicol (we first met her at Red Parrot; she made sure to always say hello each time she saw us around the resort)
- Mark (he makes the best omelets!!)
- Mirna
- Karen
- Marc (superb Restaurant Manager)
- Maria Paz (wonderful service – she made unlimited lobster night just that much better)
- Emil (he was such a delight)
- Yogushi (always so polite)

Last but not least, a huge THANK YOU to PAMELA LEA PLAZA for her impeccable customer service!!! She is by far one of the most thoughtful individuals we have ever met – from her daily personalized cards and amenities to making our reservation at Solana and ensuring we had the best table/view; we’ve never felt so special!! She easily made this an unforgettable trip and anniversary … THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! She is a true diamond and asset to this Marriott property!!

We can’t wait to go back!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MRS V
Dear MRS V, we are absolutely thrilled that your stay with us was nothing short of amazing! We genuinely love hearing when our guests have a fantastic time at our resort and I am so glad that you and your husband enjoyed your one-year wedding anniversary with us.

I agree, I think my colleagues are the most professional and kindest team in Cayman. I will make sure to pass on your compliments to all the people that you mentioned. I know they will be delighted to hear that you specified them individually in your review.

Travelling – even if it is going on vacation – can easily become a stressful situation. From dealing with tight security procedures at the airport and getting on a cramped and uncomfortable plane to arriving at your destination only to be welcomed by lines to get through Immigration and Customs, retrieving your luggage and catching a taxi, we know that that the ‘beginning’ of a vacation is not usually fun. But once you get to our hotel, we want all of the stress of travelling to melt away. We want you to feel that you have finally ‘arrived’ and your vacation has officially begun. I am so glad that once you got to our Beach House you were pampered by all our staff and made to feel welcome!

Thank you also for all your kind words regarding my customer service. It really means a lot to me and it was absolutely my pleasure assisting you and your husband!

Thank you for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Pamela Lea Plaza, At Your Service Supervisor
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 20, 2014

So our first room we checked into reeked of raw sewage once you opened the balcony door. We made a call to the front desk and their explanation was "it's usually on the other side." No place should ever stink of sewage. They accommodated us by changing our room, but after going out for the night and returning, we were called by the front desk with noise complaints after having a normal noise level conversation. This was less than 5 minutes after returning, mind you. If you have guests complaining of other rooms having a normal conversation, you obviously have cheap walls with zero insulation and you need to do something to remedy that. We haven't heard a peep from any other room, so I find it hard to believe that someone was that disturbed by us immediately when we are not loud and obnoxious. Granted there were three young gentlemen walking down the hall when we returned, on the phone loudly, but it must have come from our specific room? I find that hard to believe. And the hotel's solution? Send up 2 security guards to stand in the hall without actually letting anyone know of their presence, and they could "hear us talking." Talking. Not yelling or screaming or being out of control. This is not the standard of hotel or "resort" I would recommend to anyone. Or if you must come here , don't talk after dark. You will get reprimanded.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank yeeness
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear yeeness, thanks for providing a review of our resort. We are deeply sorry to hear about the issues involving the rooms that you stayed in.

We appreciate any comments that will help us improve upon the experiences of our guests. I have shared your feedback with the whole team so that we can evaluate what we could have done better to handle the situations you have mentioned. But again, I would like to extend my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the two rooms you stayed in.

Please feel free to contact me personally so we can discuss what happened in more detail. We want to do what we can to ensure that our guests are enjoying their time with us. You can email me on ingrid.chaves@marriott.com or call me on (345) 949-0088.

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed June 20, 2014

I had done research on this hotel and cayman islands for about a year before going and read so many mixed reviews.
One thing you will take away is that the island is absolutely beautiful, I have been to many places and this is gorgeous, the beach is incredible.
The beach area at the hotel is very good, great snorkeling around the reefs, lots of beautiful fish. It was a nice set up with all the rafts/trampolines.
As everyone else says "it is expensive", we picked up bottles at duty free on way into Cayman and we also shopped at the grocery store (20 minute walk from hotel, nice walk) which we had breakfast and lunch, so we really only went out for dinners. Lots of beautiful restaurants on the water near the hotel (but still expensive but worth it).
The hotel itself is fine, its not really a 5 star hotel, marriott has many hotels that are way nicer but it was a very adequate hotel. Maids did a great job each day and people at the front doors were very friendly, cant take that away from them. The front desk people I was not overly pleased with as at check out time they tried to charge me a higher rate than what I was quoted, literally had to fight with them on the extra charges, luckily I brought my invoice with me from the marriott rewards program and they still wanted to charge me more when it was right there in black and white, really put a damper on the end of a nice week getaway.
The beach area is also alright, it is busy but the job of the hotel is to have a high occupancy rate so that will make the beach area busy but you will never have an issue getting a chair, you dont really have to worry about the front row chairs when you have a nice beach and great water, I'm not one to go and spend my holiday sitting on a chair when you have beautiful water like they do.
It is a ride range of ages at the hotel, lots of families, lots of weddings but its a vacation place so it was fine.
I did not have a great experience at the restaurant, no one came to serve us after 10 minutes, I had to go and find someone and then it still was not great service, I have always been a great tipper regardless but this waitress did not deserve the gratuity (sorry).
It is also waaay too many points for this hotel when you can stay at a JW Marriott in a place like Palm Dessert (one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in).
Lastly, take a trip down to the peer, its a good half hour walk but nice to see, also do the stingray city, it is a once in a lifetime trip.

Room Tip: yes it would have been great to be in a room with an ocean view but we did face the courtyard, a cou...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Derek M, thank you for providing a review on your recent vacation with us. We appreciate your kind words about our nice beach area, great snorkeling at our Artificial Reef as well as our friendly front door and housekeeping staff.

The satisfaction of our guests is our top priority so we deeply regret that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay. You may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing a major renovation in September which will change the look and feel of all our communal areas, including our lobby, restaurants and fitness centre. The updates are going to be impressive and we hope to welcome you back soon so we can show off the spectacular new design of our resort.

But I really appreciate you bringing to my attention the areas of your vacation that you felt warranted improvement. I have shared your comments with the team and we are evaluating what we can do to enhance the experiences of our future guests.

I welcome you to contact me if you would like to discuss this further. Please feel free to email me on ingrid.chaves@marriott.com or call me on (345) 949-0088.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

After 5 nights at the Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort, I would definitely visit this property again. The thing that stood out the most for me was the great guest services provided by this property. Even though I booked my stay with Marriott Points + Pay, every detail was attended to to make my family's stay a memorable one. Even prior to the trip, Davina reached out to me via email to ask about any assistance needed for my stay. I mentioned that this trip was celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary, not thinking anything of it. Upon returning from dinner our first night, we had Champagne and Strawberries along with a nice note from Davina. She also took care of Spa reservations well in advance. Room 558 was on the top floor and the closest "partial ocean view" to the beach and had a great view. Overall service at this property was up to Marriott Resort standards in all areas, in my view

With all of the great restaurants on the island, we did not utilize the restaurants on the property, but the outside Solara restaurant looked like a great venue. The pool is not as expansive as many Marriott resorts, but with the Caribbean 20 feet away.... no one cared! The beach got a bit tight by the end of the day, but in reality, it wasn't that bad.

Location of the property was perfect. The rooms and property are a little older, but rooms and lobby areas were all recently remodeled. Free parking was a plus!!

Room Tip: I requested a "partial ocean view" room that was close to the ocean (vs. closer to the lob...
1 Thank Clevelander5
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Dear Clevelander5, thanks for sharing feedback on your recent stay with us. We are glad that you had a great time! We really appreciate your kind comments about our great customer service. I will make sure to pass on your compliments to Davina. She will be delighted to hear that she was instrumental in making your family’s vacation with us a memorable one.

I agree, I think we have the most professional, kindest and friendliest staff in Cayman! At our resort, the team approaches their jobs differently than other hotels. We go into work each day thinking from a guest’s perspective and we base our decisions on what we think will make their vacation experience with us unique and memorable. We always encourage our guests to assist us in defining a successful vacation — whether that be informing us of a special occasion being celebrated or telling us that their aim is to reconnect with their family. I am delighted to hear that our staff made you feel special on your anniversary!

Thank you for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we hope to see you and your family again very soon.

Strawberry, Arkansas
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Our first trip to Grand Cayman. I'm big on Marriott, so naturally I chose the Marriott Beach Resort. This place did not disappoint! Beautiful accommodations and the entire staff was exceptional. Good location on Seven Mile Beach. Walking distance of many restaurants. We had a king balcony suite overlooking the pool and beach. Very enjoyable beach vacation.

1 Thank LisaEmmaGreg
Dear LisaEmmaGreg, thanks for providing a review of our resort. We are happy to hear that you had a wonderful family vacation! We really appreciate your kind words about our beautiful accommodations, good location and exceptional staff.

Did your daughter have the chance to check out our Kids Club? When my General Manager asked me to come up with a kids’ program I wanted to offer our families something different rather than having a Kids Club where children just end up watching movies and playing on the PlayStation. I thought about all the activities that we used to enjoy from our childhood – so Kathryn (our Kids Club leader) and I chose activities that families could do together such as spending time around a bonfire and making S’mores, kite flying and building boats to race in the Turtle Lagoon. Our aim was to make it less about technology and more about re-connection. We hope she was able to enjoy some of the activities that our Kids Club has to offer!

Thanks for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we hope to welcome you and your family back again for your second trip to our beautiful island very soon!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Marriott has the best sand on their beach of anywhere on Seven Mile Beach, but the food has been a great surprise. Normally, we wouldn't each a lot at the resort, but with a food credit and excellent food, we have really enjoyed it. Walter Fernandez has had the good luck (or misfortune) to be our waiter several times and he is wonderful. Helpful, informative, cheery and a great find. He's better than a concierge. Thanks Walter for making our meals so memorable.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear flipflopdoni, thanks so much for sharing feedback on your recent vacation with us. We really appreciate your glowing comments about our beautiful beach and excellent food. I will make sure to tell Walter that he made it into your review – he will be thrilled to hear all the wonderful things that you said about him and that he made your meals with us memorable.

At our restaurants, we provide our guests fresh, simple and innovative dishes. By offering various specialty nights, we feel that we can really showcase a diverse range of delicious cuisines. We also send our chefs on exploratory trips across the globe to sample the best dishes from various regions. From the famous Mercado next to the Paseo De Gracia in Barcelona to the best sushi restaurants in California, our chefs travel around the world to find inspiration and the concepts that they bring back to Cayman is nothing short from the best. What we offer guests is a multi-sensory culinary experience, inspired by our island’s international flair. We are glad that you were pleasantly surprised by our delicious food!

You may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing phase two of our renovations in September, which will include all our communal areas such as our lobby, restaurants and fitness center. We are very excited about all the fabulous upgrades that we have planned and we look forward to showing them off to you during your next trip to our beautiful island!

Thanks for choosing us as your Beach House in Cayman and we hope to see you very soon!

Damien Woodhead, Director of Food & Beverage