“Great place to stay in Grand Cayman”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas
“Great place to stay in Grand Cayman”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

My sisters and I stayed at Marriott Grand Cayman Beach for my sister's 30th birthday. Our experience was exceptional. Once the staff had found out about the birthday they went above and beyond to help celebrate and make the trip special for her. The ladies serving coffee in the morning brought out a muffin with a candle and sang to her, along with giving us free coffee and breakfast. After we had gone to the beach and came back to the room, there were two handwritten birthday cards and dessert and rum and rum cake for us to enjoy. The front desk was very helpful in assisting us in scuba diving plans and making reservations. The beach front was beautiful and service was great. We had a fantastic trip. I highly recommend staying at the Marriott if planing a trip to Grand Cayman.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kelly439
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Kelly439, thank you for taking the time to provide a review of our hotel. We are thrilled that you and your sisters had a fantastic time! It is really nice to hear that you felt your experience was exceptional.

As you mentioned in your review, our staff go above and beyond to make our guests’ time with us more memorable. I am happy to hear that your sister received special treatment on her birthday! Here at Marriott, we like to go out of our way when we know that our guests are celebrating something significant like a birthday or anniversary.

You mentioned that you did some diving during your holiday; did you have the chance to experience the Artificial Reef Project, which is just a short swim from the hotel’s beachfront? Many of our guests tell us that they really enjoy exploring the man-made reef balls and often bring breadcrumbs to feed the colorful fish that surround the area.

We really appreciate you recommending our hotel and we hope to welcome you and your family back to our beautiful island again very soon!

Ingrid Chaves, Director of Rooms Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,483)
  • Polish first
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We have been to Cayman three times and this was our first trip to the Marriott. Anywhere on the Seven Mile Beach is a good place to be. We used points to stay here but paid $125 a night to get oceanfront and the view of the ocean and sunsets were worth it to us. I can understand others who do not want to spend the money. The hotel is not a resort as it is vey small with basically no green space and sparse landscaping. The staff were generally friendly as others have indicated but for $600+ a night I expect good service! The pool is very small. The beach area is very narrow and is crowded. Beaches further up the strip are much more spacious. If you want a lounge chair you have to play the saving game. It is annoying but guests are up before 7AM putting towels on chairs! We have kids so we up early anyway. The hotel food is ok but higher priced than other local places. We ate breakfast at Cimoco's a few times and it was good and fairly priced. It is a 5 minute walk. There is a liquor store close and a small convience store across the street the sells limited snacks. Chicken-Chicken is a close rotisserie place that is great for takeout. Brasserie is hands down the best dining place on the island.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank panster
Dear panster, thank you for sharing feedback on your recent stay with us. We are glad that you enjoyed your Cayman vacation!

I would also like to thank you for bringing the beach chair issue to my attention. We have received a few comments regarding this and we are working hard to ensure that guests uphold the one-hour rule going forward. We want our guests to get the most out of their beach house experience, so if our attendants notice that a sun lounger has been ‘reserved’ with a towel or personal effects, then he / she will remove the items after one hour if the lounger is not being used. We appreciate any comments that will help improve upon the experiences of our future guests – so I thank you for making me aware of this.

As you mentioned in your review, Cimboco’s is a great place to have breakfast, but did you have the chance to try breakfast at Solana? For just a little bit more you can enjoy delicious and innovative dishes such as Caribbean Eggs Benedict, “All you can eat” Almond Pancakes and the Lobster Omelet (just to name a few), plus you can’t beat the view of the sparkling turquoise blue ocean while you enjoy your cup of coffee.

Thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to welcome you and your family back to our hotel the next time you come to Cayman! You may be interested to hear that we will be undergoing a major renovation in September, which will change the look and feel of our communal areas, including our lobby, restaurants and fitness center. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back next year so you can enjoy the fabulous enhancements to our hotel.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 16, 2014

My family has been coming to Grand Cayman for over 20 years. We originally stayed at the Westin and since our children are older now we have moved on to the condo route. This was a last minute decision to come down here and Marriott was the only place with availability that we felt was a good fit for us. WRONG!!! No WOW factor at all when you walk into the lobby. You cannot even see the beach. Even after you go through the lobby and through what they call a courtyard with a turtle pond (YUK) you have to look over all the umbrellas to finally catch a glimpse of the ocean. However, the beautiful ocean is full of water toys (floating hard plastic DIRTY broken loungers), circle type floating rafts, and then all the jet skis, Hobie cats, etc. Small beach with no room for all that. The beach is literally covered with beach chairs and umbrellas 4 or 5 rows deep with no room in between each one. Reviews had said that people go down as early as 5AM to secure beach chairs and the reviews were right. Out of the five days we have been here we have been unable to get even one lounge chair. As for the beach itself, it is VERY small, rocky, and used. The beach was not raked or cleaned the whole time we were here. If you are looking for a quiet and relaxing vacation do NOT stay here. Lots of small children which makes for a very loud pool area too!!! As for the hotel, nice sized room but not a "heavenly bed" just regular hard mattress with cheap sheets!!! After using 160K points for a 5-night stay upon checkout we were charges a $35 a day RESORT FEE!!! Really? Didn't even get a lounge chair on the beach or by the pool but I had to pay $175 for a resort fee??? I feel bad for the island of Grand Cayman because this hotel is NOT indicative of this island. So, if you have stayed here and were not impressed with the beach then please give it another try at another hotel on Seven Mile Beach. Marriott should sell this property so as not to harm it's reputation!!! Would share photos but every picture we took was obstructed by umbrellas!!!

Room Tip: At least on a higher floor ocean front you could see the beach over the umbrellas and even higher ma...
Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
10 Thank kwright1211
Dear kwright1211, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely apologize that you did not enjoy your time with us. Spring Break is a particularly busy time in Cayman and as you took note in your review – is a very popular time for families to stay at our hotel. Having said that, we are very sorry that you felt the beach was cramped and small.

Regarding your comments on the beach chairs, I would like to reassure you that we are making every effort to ensure that guests uphold the one-hour rule (which can be read on the placard next to the Towel Hut). We want our guests to get the most of their beach house experience, so if our attendants notice that a sun lounger has been ‘reserved’ with a towel or personal effects, then he / she will remove the items after one hour if the lounger is not being used. And pertaining to your feedback on our Resort Fee, the fee includes a number of popular amenities and activities that our guests enjoy such as wireless internet access across the resort, free bicycle rentals, unlimited local calls and complimentary access to weekly beach bonfires (plus much more). We feel that the value of all these services justify the cost of the Resort Fee. Nonetheless, I apologize again that you felt you were not getting value for your money.

We would like to thank you again for sharing your experience and expressing your opinion in relation to the areas in the hotel in which you felt could use some attention as this allows us to improve upon the experience of our future guests. I truly regret that you were disappointed with your recent stay with us. You may be interested to hear that the Marriott Grand Cayman will be undergoing an extensive renovation in September, which will include our lobby, restaurants as well as other communal areas. As a frequent visitor to Cayman, we hope that you will consider visiting us during your next trip to check out the exciting enhancements to our hotel.

I welcome you to contact me directly so we can discuss your recent experience in more detail. You can email me on ingrid.chaves@marriott.com or you can call me on (345) 949 0088.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We're currently staying at the Marriott, and are in the middle of a 2 week holiday here. We travel a lot, and stay in Marriott's regularly. There are a lot of positives about this hotel, but also some problems that potential visitors should be aware of.

Good points
It's a lovely hotel, with mainly friendly, helpful staff.
The location is good, with lots of restaurants accessible by foot or bus.
The rooms are nice, the same as most Marriott's.
Very helpful Concierge.

Problems
As a previous reviewer mentioned, the pool is small, and to get a bed you have to be up early and reserve one. The hotel do have a '1 hour' policy,clearly publicised, to deal with this, as the management have stated....trouble is they never enforce it, and told us they couldn't. So why bother having one!
There are the usual pool rules....jumping, diving, under aged kids etc., but none of these are enforced either. The main job by the pool is selling drinks, sometimes more than some people need!
The beach is narrow, and crammed with (reserved) beach chairs.
Everything is chargeable, with 16% service added. I never really understood 'service' for a help yourself buffet!
The hotel charges a daily, compulsory 'Resort Fee'...$30 per room. This wasn't pointed out to us at check in. It basically covers Wi-Fi, beach towels, 2 bottles of water in the room (which we had to ring for most days), and a melted ice cream which we had to ask for! Also covers a load of plastic children's toys which as a couple we don't need, and are just left blocking the pool up. A real rip off in other words.
Despite paying $50 (plus service!) up front for breakfast, we're only allowed access to some of the breakfast restaurants, and had to pay $4 each to upgrade the weak coffee to a cappuccino. We didn't bother.
The previous reviewers observations about canned music are spot on....it's endless, everywhere. It started before 7:00 this morning. I see the management are going to 'look into it'.....how hard can that be, just TURN IT DOWN.
External 'events' both evenings this weekend, which made parking for paying guests extremely difficult.

Overall we've had a lovely holiday so far in GC, but basically, as a couple without kids, feel very much in the minority at this hotel.....more like a cash dispenser than a valued guest. I can't imagine us every staying here again unless something changes drastically in week 2.

Room Tip: We have a courtyard view. I would imaging the beach front rooms are even more noisy, as they directl...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SheenaandChris
Dear SheenaandChris, thank you for taking the time to provide a review of our hotel. We appreciate all feedback that will help improve upon the experiences of our guests.

Thank you also for making us aware of the situation with the sun beds – I have highlighted this concern to the team and we will make every effort to enforce our one-hour rule going forward. The team will also do everything they can to ensure that our pool rules are followed. I really appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention because the safety of our guests is a top priority.

Regarding your comments on our Resort Fee, it includes a number of popular amenities and activities that our guests enjoy. You mentioned a few of these in your review, but it also covers free bicycle rentals, unlimited local calls, the use of the floating trampolines and relaxation platforms at our beachfront and complimentary access to weekly beach bonfires (plus much more). We feel that the value of all these services justify the cost of the Resort Fee. Nonetheless, I am so sorry that you don’t feel that you are getting value for money.

We would also like to point out that the music issue has been fixed and again we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused to your experience.

I welcome you to contact me directly – we will do what we can to make your time with us more enjoyable. You can email me on ingrid.chaves@marriott.com, call me on (345) 949 0088 or ask for me at the front desk.

Avon, Connecticut
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Daniel the bellman went above and beyond to do his job. I met him in the elevator when my daughter and I were going to breakfast one morning. He was so friendly and outgoing. We asked him a lot of questions about the Island like where to shop etc. Daniel was extremely helpful and friendly, making us feel very much at home. I could not find the tie dyed dress I was looking for so Daniel found me a tye-dyed tee shirt and left it in my room with a lovely note. It was one of the nicest things he could have ever done. I could not imagine someone being nicer or treating their guests better. When we were leaving Daniel looked after us (my husband was not with us) and made sure our shuttle came on time and that we were on our way home with no problems. He made our stay perfect!!!!

Room Tip: Higher rooms seem to be better
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Noodlebee, thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your vacation!

I am delighted to hear that Daniel made such a positive impression on your time with us. Our staff really go out of their way to make sure that our guests enjoy themselves and it is so nice to get such glowing feedback from a guest about one of our employees going above and beyond what is expected. It is an amazing compliment for you to say that you can’t imagine someone being nicer or treating their guests better. I will make sure to pass on your positive comments to Daniel.

You took some really nice sunset pictures from our beachfront. You may have noticed that we like to make a ‘ritual’ out of the sunset by setting up colorful chairs and sofas right along the beachfront at the end of the day so guests have the perfect picture opportunity as the sun goes down. We also host a couple bonfire nights during the week and hand out ingredients for guests to make S’mores. I hope you, your husband and daughter were able to partake in this family activity – it is so much fun and a great way to reconnect with loved ones.

Thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to welcome you and your family back to our beautiful island again very soon!

Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

You will not be disappointed by this hotel, great service, all the staff are really friendly and helpful. Absolutely recommend it. A special thanks to Delmar for looking after our daughter when she injured herself, we could not have asked for better support.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Tapstereagle, thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your recent stay with us. We really appreciate your recommendation!

I will make sure to pass on your special thanks to Delmar. I am so happy to hear that we were able to provide the support and help needed when you daughter injured herself. I really do think we have the friendliest and kindest staff in Cayman - they certainly go above and beyond to make sure that our guests are looked after.

Did your family have the opportunity to enjoy all the fun activities that the hotel offers such as our free bike rentals? One of the most enjoyable ways you can spend a beautiful breezy morning in Cayman is by discovering the island by bicycle. We were inspired by memories of riding along through the picturesque countryside with loved ones during our own vacation experiences and wanted to re-create these special moments for our guests. We hope you had the chance to reconnect with your family in the same way.

Thank you again for choosing Marriott and we look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful island again soon.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My wife and I were only interested in scuba diving, but discovered the unlimited opportunities that a visit to Grand Cayan in general, and the Marriott in particular. Although we spent most days on a dive boat, the evenings were a never ending whirl wind of opportunities. The staff, food, and entertaiment was unparalleled in its quality, and variety of options.
Everyone made our experience the most enjoyable and happy vacation we have had in a very long time. We travel a great deal, and are very difficult to impress, but the Marriott really delivered. We strongly suggest you consider the Marriott Grand Cayman Resort as a choice during your next visit to the Grand Cayman Islands.

Room Tip: There are no "bad" rooms, so that should not be a problem. We prefer rooms that are as hig...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KeithLauer
Marriott_GrandCayman, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Dear KeithLauer, thank you for taking the time to provide such a positive review of our hotel. We are thrilled to hear that you felt our staff, food and entertainment were unparalleled in quality and variety. That is a very kind compliment coming from guests who travel a great deal (and as you said, are difficult to impress!)

You mentioned that you spent most of your days diving, but did you have the chance to catch a few sunsets on the beach during your stay with us? At Marriott, we like to make a ‘ritual’ out of it by setting up colorful chairs and sofas right along the beachfront at the end of the day so guests have the perfect picture opportunity as the sun goes down. We also host a couple bonfire nights during the week and hand out ingredients for guests to make S’mores. I hope you had the opportunity to take part in this ritual - it is one of my favorite activities to do at the hotel! It really evokes the nostalgia of summertime.

Thank you for recommending us and we hope to welcome you and your wife to our beautiful island again very soon!