“The staff makes this place!”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Fort Collins, Colorado
“The staff makes this place!”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

So it's a Marriott hotel, calling it a "resort" is a stretch. That being said, the staff are exceptional and, I would argue, make up for the lackluster rooms. It was out 15th wedding anniversary for this trip and I had mentioned that to the staff prior to our arrival. We pleasantly treated with Champagne and Strawberries just minutes after our arrival to the room, compliments of the hotel manager. The beach is very nice and the artificial reef out in front of the beach is really a great place to snorkel. The food at the beach restaurant was very good, but pricey, like everything on the island I suppose. I managed to get one night's upgrade with my Marriott status, wished I could have had the beach front room the entire trip, but oh well.

Highly recommend you check out the $5 breakfast at Cimbocco, after paying 40% extra for everything else, it was refreshing to pay $5 for a very delicious breakfast! ;0)

Again excellent staff and with the new renovation they are about to perform, I would guess a pretty nice hotel.

You really can't go wrong here, the price is right, the beach is great and the staff are awesome.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Highlancer
GC_Marriott, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Highlancer, thanks for spending your 15th wedding anniversary with us.

The complimentary champagne and strawberries are a special touch to our service and I am happy that you appreciated the amenity that was sent to your room.

Making our guests comfortable and providing exceptional service are top priorities for all of us here at Grand Cayman Marriott Resort.

We value your loyalty and your kind comments and expect to see you next year for your 16th wedding anniversary!

Director of Rooms Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,527)
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The staff was incredibly helpfull. Attended our every need. The room was not ready upon arrival so we were given a cell phone so that they could call to let us know when the room was available. The rooms and gathering areas were clean and nicely sized. The only drawbacks is a hefty charge for WiFi and the beach is crowded during busy times. Also be aware of a hidden charge for the local humane society of 1 usd per day. We were never notified of this charge and caught it on our flight back home. The movie night at the pool was a nice touch and was enjoyed by all. The Cayman lemonades were also great.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank j r
Dear j r, thank you for taking the time to share your review.

We appreciate your feedback about the rooms and gathering areas being clean. We will notify the Housekeeping staff, as we want to make sure our service exceeds our guest’s expectations.

We understand the importance of these vacations and this is the reason we included movie night by the pool and the Jeopardy game on our activities calendar where you can win 5 Complimentary Nights for your future stay as we want our guests to spend quality time and reconnect with their loved ones.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to serving you again.

Virginia
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My husband and I have stayed in this hotel on three different occasions for long weekend getaways over the past couple years, once on Memorial Day weekend, once on 4th of July weekend, and once on Columbus Day weekend. We've always felt like we got a really good value-- which is why we keep coming back. I'm not sure if we were to visit during peak season (when the hotel is packed and we would pay a lot more) if we would feel the same way. I also recognize that I am paying substantially less to stay here than the Ritz, so I am OK with the service and facilities being slightly sub-par at times (though still really good overall).

Our most recent visit, over 4th of July weekend, was a little more crowded, and for the first time we had to make sure we got down to the beach early in the day to ensure we got a chair (kinda annoying... I wish they didn't let people hold chairs, but we didn't have a choice since everyone else was doing it).

One thing we've noticed, however, with 7 mile beach is that the amount of sand in front of the Marriott (as well as other places on the beach) seems to change. In fact, during one visit to Cayman (October 2012) we elected to stay at the Cayman Beach Suites down the road (also a nice property), as we had read on the TA forum that ALL the sand was gone in front of the Marriott (we walked down the beach during our visit and confirmed this was true). Definitely check the most recent reviews for current information regarding the beach before staying here.

My only other annoyance with this property is I feel the restaurant/bar prices are a bit of a rip off, and I live in a major metropolitan area, so it is not like I am accustomed to things being super cheap. That said, there are a lot of other options for food within walking distance (a couple sports bars across the street, Chicken-Chicken, the bar at the Comfort Suites next door are all affordable, convenient options). If I was there for a longer stay, I'd probably also make a trip to the grocery store (about a mile away) to get some snacks and breakfast and lunch food (there are mini-fridges in the room). There is a liquor store across the street (closed on Sundays, as are most businesses), and I appreciate that the waiters on the beach aren't concerned about calling anyone out for bringing their own cans of beer or drinks down to the beach or pool.

Our experience with the service has been good overall. On occasions when our flight has arrived before check-in, I appreciate that they have given us a phone to take while we wait, so we can enjoy the beach or pool and not have to check back constantly. The umbrella attendants (you are definitely going to want some shade on the beach!) and beach waiters have always been very attentive. We had a bad experience once with a bartender double charging us for drinks at the pool bar and being a jerk about it when I asked him to correct the error, but that seemed to be an isolated incident.

Overall, we'll definitely visit Cayman again, it is ideal for us for a long weekend relaxing beach getaway. And when we do visit, I would stay at the Marriott or Cayman Beach Suites, whichever is offering the best rate at the time. We'll definitely check on the TA forum to check on the current status of the sand in front of the Marriott.

I also understand that the rooms will be getting renovated soon... so if you are sensitive to noise, you may want to look into that if you are planning a visit in the next few months.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank vrjenia
Dear vrjenia, it was a pleasure having you staying with us again. We appreciate you sharing your comments and delighted to know that we continue to exceed your expectations.

Our waiters and waitresses are the best on the island and they strive for guest satisfaction. It is a true pleasure hearing that their dedication to service is appreciated.

We will carry out a massive renovation from August to October. We will renovate the guest rooms. We currently have two show rooms and we encourage our guest to take a quick peek to get an insight of how the rooms will be done.

Thank you for your comments and we hope to have the opportunity to welcoming back for your 4th visit to enjoy the upgrades.

Wausau, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My wife and two children (16 yrs and 14 yrs) stayed at the Marriott the 2nd week of June, 2013. The place was great. Staff was helpful and easily accessible. Location is prime, beach incredible, What really surprised us was the quality of the food throughout the resort. They do not give their services away so be prepared to spend some coin. June water is flat and as always the clearest in the world and prices in June are 50% of what you will pay in March.
We will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ellen H, thank you for your kind and thoughtful comments; I am delighted to know that we were able to make your vacation great and a memorable one.

We are very grateful that we have the most friendly and professional staff that is very eager to please our guests. As you can see in many other reviews, they embody Marriott Spirit to Serve.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 25, 2013

7 Mile beach remains the best beach I've ever been on. While getting a cabana is like most resorts because it requires you to get out there early, there is plenty of space on the beach itself at any point during the day to spread out a towel and bake yourself in the sun. When you get done baking, go for a swim. The hotel has a large artificial reef where we saw lots of creatures including a lemon ray. The hotel has anchored several floating rafts if you prefer to tain in the water as opposed to a cabana. The Marriott Hotel is a little long in the tooth so the rooms were average...nothing special. The common areas are immaculate as you would expect from Marriott. The beach bar is entertaining and fun. Here's some tips to increase your fun as you stay:
1. There is a great breakfast place just across the street. Ask for the $5 breakfast. Cinboco is the name. It is just behind the Pizza Hut.
2. Alcohol is killer expensive. They have a fridge in the room. There's a couple of liquor stores on the island and mixing your own drinks isn't hard. Well worth the taxi money spend there and back.
3. The Pizza Hut Pizza was good...if you're into a long wait. It is usually packed around dinner.
4. Mosquitos can be bad when visiting some places so bring some wipes or repellent.
5. The best dinner was at the Lone Star which is within walking distance of the hotel. Awesome Americana style food. Ribs, Hamburgers...all done really well. I'd rate it better than most of those in my home state! On top of that, it won't put a big dent in your checkbook.
6. The Agua Restaurant boasted authentic Peruvian Ceviche...I had two Peruvians with me who weren't impressed. I was equally unimpressed with the service. I guess what made it really bad is this restaurant was expensive!
7. If you want a great shore dive, call Divetech or take a taxi there. It is about 20 minutes via taxi but the diving at lighthouse point is easy (ladder entry/exit) and has a nice wall dive. Unlimited shore diving with them is $165 per person. Not bad at all!
8. If you're not afraid of driving on the opposite side of the road, rental cars are really not much higher than they are here.
9. Highly recommend going to the sandbar. Specifically ask for the sandbar. If you ask for stingray city you could end up in another location. At the sandbar you'll be in waist deep water and holding wild stingrays!!!!
Overall we wish we never left. We all had a fantastic time and enjoyed our stay to the fullest.

Room Tip: None of the side rooms have great views of the ocean. So if you want a good room, you'll need to...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank ce4jesus
Dear ce4jesus, thank you for choosing to stay with us. We value your comments and happy to hear you had a wonderful stay.

The famous Seven Mile Beach is indeed beautiful with its warm crystal blue waters, which guests have come to love and enjoy the amazing sunset.

I am glad to inform you that our guest rooms are actually in the scope of work for our renovation in August, September and October. We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back so you can enjoy the enhancements on your next trip to Cayman Islands.

We value your comments and looking forward to serving you again.

Clifton, New Jersey
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Just returned back from the Cayman Islands and had a wonderful time. Stayed July 18-23rd. The hotel is located about 15 minutes from the hotel, will cost you $19USD via Taxi. I'm a Platinum Elite member so I was hoping to get a upgrade but it was not available. I was not surprised based on the previous posts about people not getting upgrades at this hotel. Regardless, Laura at the front desk was very professional and went above and beyond to make sure our stay was pleasant. The room had a oceanfront view which was spectacular. The hotel is located right on the beach. The entire staff was awesome. Towel service was good.*One warning*, make sure to get down to the beach early morning to claim your chairs, I refer to it as the mad dash for chairs syndrome. One more point, be prepared to pay some hefty prices for the drinks, one night it cost us $40 for two drinks. Jack with coke and Vodka with cranberry. Also, pretty much wherever you go, they charge you 15% gratuity on the island for food and bar drinks. In closing, if you're looking for a cool hotel with a awesome staff and location, this is the one for you.

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank njdrum
GC_Marriott, Manager at Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear njdrum, thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your overall hotel experience.

I have let Laura know how much you enjoyed the kind service provided by her. We are very proud to have staff members like her who represents the hospitality and service Marriott stands for.

I agree with you, there’s nothing better than the ocean front rooms at the Grand Cayman Marriott. The view of the ocean is spectacular and is just right on Seven-Mile Beach. It is amazing and breathtaking to just sit on your balcony and watch the sunset and not worry about trees blocking your view of the ocean.

We appreciate you sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to our resort!

Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We have stayed at this wonderful old hotel on Seven Mile Beach several times. It is starting to show it's age a bit, but it is very well maintained and is in a very convenient location (though the entrance is sometimes hard to see from the road). The staff of the hotel is professional and friendly. We particularly enjoy learning about the front desk staff, many of whom hail from countries all over the world. There are other hotels in Grand Cayman that are newer, but we continue to return to this one because it seems to consistently do everything right.