“OUCH! Find a doctor fast! Also bring earplugs!”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We booked a feather free oceanfront junior suite months ahead and requested a high floor to avoid noise.
Upon arrival we were told the only room that was ready as feather free, especially for us, was on the 3rd floor by the pool. We were guaranteed it was a quiet room. Ha! When we entered the room it was old, musty and dirty looking and nothing like the photos online but we didn't complain. As we went to take a 10 minute nap before unpacking we noticed all the pillows had feathers. We called the front desk and they sent someone from housekeeping who told us there is no such thing as a "feather free" room.
When we insisted because of allergies she managed to find a couple of foam pillows with dirty pillow cases. Well they were better than feathers so we took them in exchange for the feather pillows. They only change the linens every 3-4 days and that was a shocker as that never happened in our travels before. But welcome to the Marriott Grand Cayman. Most days we would not get enough clean towels in the room, and forget about getting washcloths, occasionally we would get one. As far as shampoo etc., they would give us all hair conditioner instead of the expected shampoo, lotions etc.
They were also very stingy with the soap, and had to beg for a larger bar for the shower.
Well we let that all be forgiven as we wanted to enjoy our vacation and already wasted 1/2 the day getting rid of feathers and mustiness in the room. The only good thing about this hotel was the beach and water. As far as noise, being above the pool, we were awaken daily at 6 AM by screaming kids and up until 3 AM from drunken noisy adults hanging by the pool. And we paid full price for this"quiet"suite. The pool was crowded and never cleaned and the hot tub was ultra hot. On our last day there my wife developed a UTI and had to see the local doctor. The doctor said she never saw the bacterial count so high and it showed up in the test in seconds not minutes like it usually takes. We mentioned she was in the hot tub a few times and told me to inform the hotel about the UTI from the hot tub or pool. We swim at YMCA's year round and hotels in the winter and never got a UTI before. On hindsight we should have avoided the hot tub and pool and the Marriott altogether. Never again, fool us once, shame on you, but you won't fool us again. If we ever travel to Grand Cayman again we will stay at a condo! However there are better islands to visit so we probably won't be back!

Room Tip: Avoid pool and Oceanfront rooms and suites.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank carib66

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed at the Mariott for a total of one week. The service was awesome and everyone greeted me with a smile. The only complaints I have are about the mosquitoes and the seating. If you are looking to enjoy a nice relaxing night the hotel bring bug spray and try not to sit in the turtle pond area. Also I wish that there was seating by the beach where you don't have to order dinner because all of the current seating is taken by the restaurant at night. Despite the bugs and lack of seating we got to see some beautiful sunsets and I really enjoyed the good central location on seven mile beach.

Room Tip: The third floor has a lot of commotion due to the ballroom/convention center.
1  Thank Jacob P
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This was our first time to the Cayman Islands so did not know what to expect once we arrived. Of course the airport is so small and the buses/taxis are just regular vans and cost $2 Cayman dollars & $2.50 $US. Once we arrived at the Marriott via taxi we were greeted by Nelson & Brando who always greeted us by name. They made our stay at the Marriott worthwhile as well as Alex, Geri & Alexandre at the front desk. The spa treatment is a must if you stay here; Joanne was the best massage therapist! The rooms definitely need some upgrades but overall they were not too bad. They will be having renovations July/August 2013.

The clear crisp blue water and white sand was so beautiful! The turtle lagoon was a nice amenity to see right outside our courtyard room. During our stay, we enjoyed seeing an India wedding which was awesome! I think just about every night there was some type of event being held here. Camana Bay was a nice trip and the underwater submarine was a hit.

Please be sure to eat at Cimboco (best red snapper & $5 breakfast) and Chicken!Chicken! (good wood fire chicken & cornbread) they are both within walking distance from the hotel. Ginos pizza was really good too. If you do go into Georgetown to do any shopping please eat at Casanova's - great Italian spot and great customer service! Also, the food in the Marriott at Balboa's was excellent especially the shrimp tacos and fish and chips. Breakfast at the Red Parrot was good but be prepared to pay $20pp for the buffet. Also, please be prepared to pay 15% gratuity on everything purchased but no sales tax.

We purchased Cayman dollars before we left which was a good idea since things are cheaper if you use Cayman dollars. You can get them at any currency exchange, my suggestion is to get them in advance before your trip.

Overall, the stay here was good, they were extremely accommodating to the guests needs. We even requested a microwave to warm up our food and Nelson ensured it was delivered to our room. There is a refrigerator and safe in the rooms. Thanks Alex, Nelson, Brando, Alexandre, Julie, Joann and Hannah (she took our family pictures) as well as the representative from Avis for making our stay at the Marriott a good first time experience.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor have access to the stairs just in case you don't want to wait for the ele...
3  Thank Luv S
Reviewed June 28, 2013

excellent service combined with a nice location; the food and drinks in the restaurant and the bar was very good; the staff at the lobby was very kind and professional; there was a lot of proposals for sport and other activities

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank lyutskanov
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was a tremendous vacation. Hotel was right in the middle of the island making it easy to get everywhere, walking or the friendly bus system. The staff was great. Rod, the bartender, was always greeting us by name. The staff on the beach set up you on request with umbrellas or chairs when you needed them at "no cost". That's the first time that happened to me. Rooms were very clean and all had a balcony. Ours overlooked the courtyard which as a very relaxing view. Beach was only a few steps away. The breakfast was either a full buffet of everything or order ala cart. That was all we really needed because the food was in abundance. Appetizers were great and the two happy hours, morning and night, had great drink deals...I would recommend to anyone! I'll be back...

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I just spent 6 nights (6/12-6/18) staying here, and this is my third time staying at this resort. I use Priceline every time I book a trip to Cayman, hoping to save a few bucks. Every time when bidding, I always get this resort and I certainly won't complain! I got it for $154/night, and after taxes and all that jazz it came out to be $202.00 USD/night.

We took our 5 year old for the first time, and she absolutely loved the resort for 3 reasons..1 the parrots out front (she had to see them every morning and every night), and the turtles in the garden area. There are a ton of turtles (many more than our last time there in 2011) and these turtles are tame, You can walk over to where they hand you your towels and ask for turtle food, and when feeding them they practically climb out of the water and eat out of your hand.

We had a island view (faced the pool behind the comfort suites) and if we looked to our right we could see the ocean. Simply beautiful and I can only imagine how awesome it would be to stay oceanfront. The only complaint I had was our toilet smelt like sewage at times. Not all the time and one time maintenance came and sprayed something in it but by next day we smelled it again. I called down to the front desk when we had (i think 2-3 nights left) to inquire on the costs in moving to an oceanfront room and the costs due to the smell. You would think they would've cut me some sort of deal, but with rooms available they offered it to me for $150/night...a bit much if you ask me, so we just stayed where we were.

Our last two trips we spent so much time away from the resort and trying out places all over the island to snorkel, that this was our first time actually spending time out on the beach just relaxing. Very nice, and since our last trip they've added some floating chairs (things to sit on) that were really nice. Snorkeling out in front of the resort was much better than i imagined. Sure there are places elsewhere to go for great snorkeling, and I’m sure staying up the beach a ways (like towards the Westin) has a wider beach and great snorkeling, but I found it just as good here. During high tide yea the beach feels a bit crammed, and if you want a seat on the front row you better get down there about 7am to put your towels out! lol

While snorkeling I saw more different kind of fish than every before in Cayman. The best snorkeling i found was swimming way beyond that front row of artificial reef they have out there...very cool!

Pricing at any resort will be high, and after spending $55 (USD) on 4 small mixed drinks I’d definitely pass on that. We just bring us a cooler, hit up the liquor store and grocery store and be done with it. We walked down to the reef grill where drinks were maybe $1-2 cheaper and taste a little better IMO...Never ate at the resort, as there's just way to many other places better. I did however get coffee there, simply because if you buy it downstairs (much better tasting than my last visit), yes it may cost you right at $5.00 usd for a large cup (and yes no matter what you buy, they charge 15% gratuity), but they offer free refills till 11am. I went through 3-4 cups between about 7:30-11, so to me it was worth it :) You also have Coconut Joes across the street (great for breakfast, lunch and dinner), XQ’s about a 5 minute walk (awesome Pizza place), and across the street you also have Cimboco and Café Del Sol. If you don’t have a car, there’s a gas station right across the street as well where you can buy all your bottle drinks. About a 30 minute walk into Georgetown -We rent a car for the entire time, so if you don’t have one you may want to use the local buses for getting into Georgetown.

Overall we love it there, and I can't wait to go back again!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Had the pleasure of staying at this hotel two days ago. The employees were quite friendly and accommodating and our room was clean. The beach adjacent and the waters were also beautiful. Overall we had a quite pleasant stay at this hotel, but for those who have been to Mexico and stayed at their resorts, to discredit this hotel based on that is quite unfair. My reason is that from what I saw there were no hotels on Seven Mile beach that could compare therefore making the Marriott one of the better ones to stay while travelling here. Many things were within walking distance which made it another plus. When we visited, we happened to have been informed that everything is closed on Sundays, what we were not told was that many things also close by 5pm during the week and that if you rent a car, the main hwys DO NOT have street signs to allow fledgling drivers (on the left side of the street) a chance to best navigate themselves as the maps do not seem to provide all cross street signs and show the roundabouts that come a bit quickly. It was a very quiet vacation experience.

2  Thank Redreb
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#6 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End

Been to Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!