“Jacked up”

GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Jacked up”
Reviewed May 26, 2008

I booked a rate of $128 a night and when I got there they jacked it up to $260 and no apology. In addition there was going to be no power on the day I was to get married. You think they would let you know that kind of stuff in advance.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wmannab

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,548)
  • Polish first
Jersey
Reviewed May 22, 2008

Great location, on the beach, far enough way from George town to be relaxing but not so far it is a drag to get in. There are a number of good night life spots and restaurants nearby. The hotel is very clean they have kids programs, and a theme each day. The internet access is good, actually if you are on one side of the hotel you might be lucky enough to pick up a free internet point from across the road. The beach in front of the hotel changes size after each near miss hurricane but it's white sand and beautiful. They have placed artificial reef pots in the sea to attract fish so there is nice snorkling to be had very close by.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Jsy-traveller
Manchester, TN
Reviewed May 20, 2008

I returned from Grand Cayman May 11th after 6 nights. My room at the Marriott was on the 4th floor facing the Comfort Suites. I still had a nice view of the ocean from the balcony. The room was above average. I thought it had a large bathroom and a nice sitting chair. The pool area and beach were great.

My purpose for this trip was snorkeling. I thought the beach in front of the Marriott and then up to the Treasure Island resort was the best place to snorkel in front of hotels. The rocks in front of Treasure Island is where I saw the best stuff. Along this area I saw several barracuda (one over 4 feet), a peacock flounder, porcupine pufferfish, queen angelfish, among others.

Governor's reef was just OK, I found better snorkeling at other locations. Cemetary Beach along seven mile had really good snorkeling. This was the only place I saw a spotted eagle ray. The reef goes out really far; it's a long swim but worth it. Here sergent majors and other fish swim right up to you and they were even hitting me in the legs. I didn't think Eden Rock was that good. Maybe I never found where the really good part of the reef was. The only interesting thing I saw here was an octopus. Smith's Cove was a really good snorkeling spot. Lots of coral, fish, and squid. You just snorkeling along the rocky shoreline.

One day we drove to Rum Point. There is almost no snorkeling here, so I really didn't care for it, but it was nice to drive all around the island. The views were amazing. I also took Captain Marvin's boat trip to sting ray city. Of course, the best snorkeling on my trip was from the boat at the barrier reef. I highly recommend Captain Marvin's.

Ranking the best snorkeling spots from shore: 1) Marriott beach to Treasure Island 2)Cemetary Beach 3)Smith's Cove

I also ate at lots of great restaurants. All the reviews I read were true; Calypso Grill is the best place to eat. I got a great seafood entree there and had the sticky toffee pudding. It was probably the best dessert I have ever tried. I can't describe how good it was. It's severed warm, so get it with ice cream.

Ragaozzi was the second best place I ate. Once again good seafood and bread.

I also tried Papagallo's. I really didn't care for the black and yellow pasta with scrimp and scallops, but the apple tart dessert was really good. Casanova's was good too. I really liked Cimboco across the street from the Marriott. The pizza and ceazer salad there were so good. I highly recommend going there. I also ate twice at Eats; it was very good too, but I liked Cimboco better.

We rented a car for 4 days and had no problem getting around. You really need a car if you are an avid snorkler like me. Also, the airport was not a zoo on my return flight home. We got there 2 and half hours before the flight and that was more than enough time. We had to sit around close to 2 hours.

Overall, the snorkeling was very good and I had lots of fun. But I do think snorkeling was better when I went to St. John.

• Stayed May 2008
5 Thank twinkles200000
london
Reviewed May 17, 2008

I have been also at the other (cheaper) Marriott on 7 mile beach, during the same trip, so you can compare my reviews.

This Marriott is on the more crowded part of the beach, where the big condos are. It is okay, but I would expect a bit more from a 4 star hotel. The furniture in my room looked a bit dated, particularly the bathroom. My balcony had a view over the construction site that others have mentioned, but I did not complain as I was staying only for a couple of days.
Breakfast had a good variety of delicious pastries, fruits, and savoury food, but was a bit expensive. Internet access with the hotel's computers was also charged.
Access to the beach is through the nice courtyard, populated by some iguanas.

If you are on a business trip, ask to get booked to a better hotel. If you are on holiday, try to get a discount, otherwise look for another hotel!

• Liked — breakfast and courtyard
  • Disliked — room furniture and view
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank eurotourist75
charlotte,nc
Reviewed May 15, 2008

Our time at the Marriott was fabulous from the time we arrived until the moment we left. My husband and I where traveling with 2 other couples who this was their first time to Caymans. We where greeted at the front door by Lamar who picked up right away that our group was there for some fun!!! While we where checking in, Larmar went and got Champagne for our group on the house. Wow, What a way to start our vacation!!!!!! Check in was a breeze and our rooms where all ready . The rooms are nice size rooms with a small balcone with a garden view. We booked our rooms thur Priceline and got a super deal. All of the staff at the marriott was very friendly and willing to do anything they could to make our stay the best. There was plenty of room on the beach with most days 4 rows of beach chairs. Sarah rocked on the beach to ensure we had a great time. Each day they have a drink of the day on special and then Happy hour from 4-6pm everyday with 2 for 1 specials. Strawberry Shortcakes are the best drink on the islands. Service was excellent all throught the Hotel and our stay. We had a blast during our stay. Thanks to the staff at the Marriott for great times.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank islandbum
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed May 4, 2008

Grand Cayman is a great vacation spot. The water is crystal clear. I suggest purchasing snorkeling equipment because you can jump in the water any place an be near a reef. There is pleny of snorkeling along the Mariott beach but I suggest traveling to Cemetary Beach. It is a few miles down the road but it is well worth it. Don't forget to visit Stingray City. It is a must.

Staff at the hotel was nice. Breakfast is pretty expensive. I suggest eating outside of the hotel.

Stayed April 2004
1 Thank Justin F
Williamstown, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 26, 2008

My Husband and I stayed here in the middle of March 08. We stayed 7 nights in a king courtyard room. I found the courtyard to be more lovely than I expected. Quite a few nights we enjoyed cocktails on our balcony over looking the palm trees, tiki torches and turtles that live in the pond. I would stay in the courtyard even if I was offered a full ocean view. My only complant about the property was the smell of the AC unit. I didnt realize the island would be so humid being that it's so flat. The air unit smells a little musty but they must battle it constantly down there.

I loved the beach!! We would just walk for hours at night. The snorkling right off the beach was so much fun, but we went down the street and bought our own stuff for 30 cayman dollars because Red Sails gear was pretty bad.

We ate in both the resturants at the hotel. Both did a fabulous job. The food was great.

Drinks are pricy so we went to the store and stocked up our mini fridge.

The only draw back I could see would be getting a room on the construction side. If you want a great time confirm your reservation directly with the Hotel (I heard lots of room mix ups) and avoid those negative people who complain. Because this place is lovely and small and romantic and if you dont love it then it's you.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — smell of the ac unit
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple