“Good hotel with a few flaws”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Boston, MA
“Good hotel with a few flaws”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Marriott March 10-14. Just to give some perspective on who is writing this review, my boyfriend and I are both 26-27 year old professionals. We both have a high expectation for service, however we went on this vacation having done our research and knew what to expect. We both felt so happy just to be on vacation, that we didn’t want to let the small stuff ruin our time. We also got a really great deal on Cheapcaribbean.com.

Positives:
The Island is just beautiful, and the Marriott’s facilities are aesthetically pleasing as well. The beach, although small, is gorgeous. We had no problem getting chairs at the beach everyday, and although the chairs are packed very close to each other, we found it was a nice way to meet other travelers (and get good recommendations for things to do/restaurants). We ate lunch at the pool bar several days- and were satisfied with our meals (the fries are really delicious!).

Snorkeling at the beach at the hotel was awesome. My boyfriend and I had never snorkeled before, so this was the perfect opportunity for us to learn and we really enjoyed it. The day before we arrived, it had rained, so I think it affected the clarity of the water. As our stay progressed with good weather, the water got clearer and clearer.

The Marriott is perfectly situated for travelers without a car who are up for a little walking. We walked to the grocery store and liquor store and stocked up on our first day (the rooms all conveniently have refrigerators). We were able to walk to different restaurants each night. Georgetown is about a 25 min walk and was worth checking out.

Negatives:
The main problem with this hotel is that they appear to be understaffed. When sitting on the beach it was nearly impossible to get a servers attention, and most days I didn’t even see any on the beach. While the housekeeper who cleaned our room was very sweet and thorough, we generally did not get our room cleaned until 4:30pm everyday. This wasn’t a huge problem, but it started to get annoying. On more than one occasion the pool ran out of towels altogether. The wait to speak to the concierge was frequently 3 people deep and they seemed to be very overwhelmed and quick to dismiss our questions. Because of this, we made all our reservations for activities/restaurants from our room. Upon check out, we were presented with a significant bill ($1.19 per minute) for each local made- so please think twice before making local calls. Charging for local calls is not a practice I was familiar with.

Our room had a full view of the construction going on next door. I knew there was a likelihood this would happen when booking the trip, so I can’t complain about it too much. We were woken up every day by 8am to banging and yelling, but I was just so happy to be on vacation that I almost welcomed the wake up call so that I could start my day! We did not hear construction while on the beach, which I think is more important. There was also a very strong mildew smell, but we weren't in the room enough to be bothered by it.

All in all, we had a great vacation and can’t wait to return someday! Despite the Marriott’s flaws, I would stay here again, provided I found the same extremely cheap deal. Please feel free to PM with any questions!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
7 Thank JennyG123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,465)
  • Polish first
state college, pa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2008

first i will start by saying it was our first visit to grand cayman and we had no experience to compare except for other carribean marriott resorts; so we were expecting Marriott standards to be on par of what we were used to; however we feel like this marriott is definetly not of par as far as appearance, amenities and room conditions...upon arrival we were warmly greeted and taken to our two rooms; oceanview; not ocean front; the rooms we had definetly had a musty/ mildew smell to them; we asked the maid to try and deep clean or freshen it up but honestly we didn't feel any difference; we simply "just lived" with it for the remainder of our stay. Our boys had a connecting room and their a/c definetly was not cooling their room; we called housekeeping who claimed it was "fixed" however it was not, and although it was liveable it really was not adequate to cool the room. Okay; so that is the disappointing notes...so on the positive: every staff member we encountered was wonderful and very friendly. We felt the beach area; although small was just fine and even with a 95% occupancy it was crowded but acceptable.
The water was terrific and the pool bar area was a nice addition.
One thing that did put us off was the beach chairs are not very clean and the actual beach/sand area did have some seaweed, liter, etc. We feel there was just simply a lack of staff to keep up with the amount of people using the beach each day.
One thing that was very annoying was the 12.95 a day charge for wifi in the rooms and lobby area; really ashame to charge for that. there were two computers for guest use in the lobby however they too had a fee attached.
Food: we did eat a couple of morning in the buffet it was fine but we ventured across the street two morning to Cimbocco and found the food, price, and quality much nicer. I won't waste time here detailing our trip outside of the marriott for various other meals; so please pm if you want more details. but i will say that everywhere we went to eat for lunch and dinners was extremely costly; but probably some of the best meals we have eaten on vacation!!
While we enjoyed the warmth, sun, and relaxation at the marriott we probably wouldn't return for the negatives stated above. the resort is advertised as a catagory 6 for marriott; honestly in all the marriotts we have stayed i would not rate it higher than a catagory 3/ maybe 4. The charm of the people would be the only way i would put it into the 4 catagory. if you have any questions feel free to ask.

• Liked — proximity to the water
  • Disliked — hotel standards not up to par for a marriott
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank kalamata
Casper, Wyoming
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2008

In June of 2007 my husband and I stayed at the Grand Cayman Marriott for my honeymoon. We both enjoyed this hotel very much. The water was great, and my husband learned to snorkel in behind the hotel before heading out on a sting ray city snorkeling tour. After that day I could not drag him out of the water! Our room was your basic hotel room, but just being on Seven Mile Beach could make any place heaven. =) We did not spend very much time in the pool. We did not rent anything from the hotel- we had our own snorkel gear- but they do rent everything from floats to snorkel gear to jet skis. We bought our own alcohol and made our own mixed drinks (put the fridge to good use).

We loved Coconut Joes and Aqua Beach across the street for casual dining. Both were a great place to wander in off the beach and eat some tasty food. We went to the store and kept our fridge in the room stocked for snacks between meals. We rented a jeep with the Avis in the lobby and found the staff there very nice.

We are hoping to return to this hotel in a few months!

• Liked — the artifical reef was awesome!
  • Disliked — the high price for the internet
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank huskerdawg
Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2008

Wonderful location. Mostly great staff. Decor is very nice. Even the exotic birds are super (Echo, Ruby, & Romeo). Then comes the room. We checked in to find terrible mold/mildew smell, thought it was just part of the Caribbean flair. Then we noticed our carpet was wet! Turning up the A/C only caused more noise - it didn't cool at all. The Front Desk Supervisor acknowleded that the A/C was in need of refurbishment, but funds were not available. Other rooms we were shown as options to move into were worse! Another couple on the same dive boat has even worse experience at this hotel. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE - if you are using points to to St. Kitts. 100% better! There are plenty of nice hotels on 7 mile beach; check them out first.

Oh yes, then there was the fire alarm due to a burst pipe. Didn't even see a fire truck or ambulance! Boy did we feel safe!

• Liked — Location - 7 Mile Beach is great
  • Disliked — Inoperative Air Conditioning
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Caribbean-Fun-Diver
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2008

I've stayed at this hotel 3 times previously and have had great experiences, and written so in this forum. 4th time was not good at all. I mentioned to the check-in clerk that this was our 4th visit and asked for an upgrade from our "garden view" room. Nope, no way Jose. Entering the room, it felt very damp. I thought air conditioning would help. Returning late from dinner, the room was still damp and not cool either. On the bed was a note and “gift” from the manager saying they had a flood above us earlier in the day and apologed for the dampness. I then noticed that the ceiling was wet as was the rug. Our "gift" for this musty room was a bottle of water! After fuming a while, I went down to the desk at 11PM and complained about being given the wet room which they obviously knew about. They gave me an "upgraded" room overlooking the courtyard. This room was smaller and no other "extras" were offered for the inconvenience of moving everything after my family had unpacked and gotten into bed. The air conditioner in the second room worked only slightly better than the first. I complained to the front desk at checkout about the lack of cooling by the air conditioner and her response was, "I'll have maintenance check on it." Lot of good that did us. At $530 per night, including taxes, I thought the service we received and the indifference of the front desk was terrible. Their service seems to have taken a nosedive. I will NOT stay here ever again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Indifference of front desk staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank 4eric
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2008

Great location! Right on 7 mile beach. Tons of great places to eat on the island (many are close to the hotel). Hotel was slightly above average. Great for a traveler on a budget. What a great island!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed June 2004, traveled as a couple
3 Thank THEBSTravelers
lb,il
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2008

We stayed here over New Years and the rates were exorbitant considering the value received. To begin with we had reserved a mini suite which is not a suite but ,as it turns out ,a larger room with a microwave just off the pool thereby making it necessary to keep the drapes drawn day and night. We then switched to two standard rooms which were nicely appointed but at well over $500 apiece not worth it. I asked at the time of booking and again at the hotel about a triple A discount and was told none existed although I see other travelers have gotten them. The beach is extremely small and crowded as everyone has mentioned. Service was also below par in several respects. The almond croissants in the lobby are the best breakfast choice but when I asked the waiter there to warm it in the microwave he took it to the back somewhere and brought it out burnt and inedible. The sports concierge ignored us waiting at her desk while she did paperwork. An acknowledgement that "I will be with you in a moment" would have been nice but never came.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family