My boyfriend and I stayed at the Marriott March 10-14. Just to give some perspective on who is writing this review, my boyfriend and I are both 26-27 year old professionals. We both have a high expectation for service, however we went on this vacation having done our research and knew what to expect. We both felt so happy just to be on vacation, that we didn’t want to let the small stuff ruin our time. We also got a really great deal on Cheapcaribbean.com.
The Island is just beautiful, and the Marriott’s facilities are aesthetically pleasing as well. The beach, although small, is gorgeous. We had no problem getting chairs at the beach everyday, and although the chairs are packed very close to each other, we found it was a nice way to meet other travelers (and get good recommendations for things to do/restaurants). We ate lunch at the pool bar several days- and were satisfied with our meals (the fries are really delicious!).
Snorkeling at the beach at the hotel was awesome. My boyfriend and I had never snorkeled before, so this was the perfect opportunity for us to learn and we really enjoyed it. The day before we arrived, it had rained, so I think it affected the clarity of the water. As our stay progressed with good weather, the water got clearer and clearer.
The Marriott is perfectly situated for travelers without a car who are up for a little walking. We walked to the grocery store and liquor store and stocked up on our first day (the rooms all conveniently have refrigerators). We were able to walk to different restaurants each night. Georgetown is about a 25 min walk and was worth checking out.
The main problem with this hotel is that they appear to be understaffed. When sitting on the beach it was nearly impossible to get a servers attention, and most days I didn’t even see any on the beach. While the housekeeper who cleaned our room was very sweet and thorough, we generally did not get our room cleaned until 4:30pm everyday. This wasn’t a huge problem, but it started to get annoying. On more than one occasion the pool ran out of towels altogether. The wait to speak to the concierge was frequently 3 people deep and they seemed to be very overwhelmed and quick to dismiss our questions. Because of this, we made all our reservations for activities/restaurants from our room. Upon check out, we were presented with a significant bill ($1.19 per minute) for each local made- so please think twice before making local calls. Charging for local calls is not a practice I was familiar with.
Our room had a full view of the construction going on next door. I knew there was a likelihood this would happen when booking the trip, so I can’t complain about it too much. We were woken up every day by 8am to banging and yelling, but I was just so happy to be on vacation that I almost welcomed the wake up call so that I could start my day! We did not hear construction while on the beach, which I think is more important. There was also a very strong mildew smell, but we weren't in the room enough to be bothered by it.
All in all, we had a great vacation and can’t wait to return someday! Despite the Marriott’s flaws, I would stay here again, provided I found the same extremely cheap deal. Please feel free to PM with any questions!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The all new Beach House at the Grand Cayman Marriott makes you feel right at home. All of our spacious 295 guest rooms have been completely refurbished. The main lobby "Anchor & Den" has transformed into a spacious, yet cozy place where you can connect, relax and spend time with family and friends. Experience enhanced culinary offerings at the new outdoor beach fish grill restaurant Veranda or have a drink at the Vista Bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, TravelUp, Priceline, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Hotel Seven Mile Beach
- Marriott Seven Mile Beach
- Seven Mile Beach Marriott
- Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort Cayman Islands