“Decent hotel, washed out beach and too many kids”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 26, 2012

My boyfriend and I just returned from Grand Cayman where we stayed at the Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort for six nights. While the hotel is well kept and in a great location, the beach is washed out (there was only room for one row of beach chairs on the already overcrowded beach) and property is full of families and young kids. Since the beach was nonexistent, we were forced into the (small) pool area which felt extremely crowded with all the families and kids. I didn't find "relaxing at the beach" relaxing at all because even looking into the ocean felt like looking at a crowded (and loud) public pool. While I would not suggest this resort for couples looking for a romantic getaway (pay the extra money and go to the Ritz) I was pleased with the friendly service we received everywhere onsite.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Danielle M
Write a ReviewReviews (5,386)

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Marriott has done a great job with their hotel on 7 mile beach. Elegantly understated, very clean, with well appointed, quiet rooms, and comfy beds. The staff is wonderful -- very nice people and very helpful with any request you have. They allowed us a late check out time, which was so helpful.
One comment which Marriott cannot control is the beach, which is all but gone. They have done a great job with the floating disks and and floating patio sets where you can sit and watch the fish.
The outside dining is wonderful -- right on the water and the food is excellent.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank DaisyOrlando
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We just returned from our fourth visit to Grand Cayman, and our third stay at the Marriott. (Our first stay was at the Courtyard, which we loved for their beach and large rooms.) This stay at the Marriott was the worst of the three. As a Platinum Premier Marriott Rewards member I have stayed at several other Marriott-family resorts in the Caribbean, but this one just doesn't measure up.

-- Prior to arrival I was sent an e-mail asking a lot of particulars - Arrival time, flight, any special requests, how many in party, names, etc. When I checked in (around 1400) I was told our room was not ready. (Why ask for arrival info if you aren't going to match guests up with available rooms, or get rooms cleaned for them?) I asked about an upgrade and was told I was being upgraded to a king room with a courtyard view. I later checked my reservation and this was the room type specified in my reservation, so it wasn't an upgrade! I was told I was being put on a priority wait-list for a room and was given a cell phone so that the staff could call when the room was ready. We waited and waited. I went back to inquire and was told that housekeeping was working on the room. I asked if I could get an ocean-view upgrade. The staff member went to the back and came back and told me no. He kept telling me that this was a really nice room and it would be ready soon. After waiting about two hours we finally got our room keys. The room was not what I would call really nice. We previously stayed in rooms that were nicer, and with bigger bathrooms, at this property. Bathroom floor tiles were broken. I responded to the pre-arrival e-mail that I would like additional feather pillows, but none were in the room and I had to call and request them. I also stated that we were celebrating my birthday on this trip, something the check-in clerk did acknowledge, and she asked what day my birthday was. I told her, and thought that maybe she was putting a note in the system for me to receive a little something - We've had that happen at other resorts in the Caribbean, but not here.

-- I stopped at the lobby bar one evening to get a drink and a piece of cheesecake to take back to the room. The drink was made quickly, and it was quite good -- We do love the Cayman Lemonade that is made on property. The cheesecake however.... It took about 15 minutes for me to get it. The bartender asked a server to check on it, then a manager asked a server, then the bartender asked a server again about it and he mentioned someone by name (the manager) was getting it. The property automatically adds a 15% gratuity to your check. I did not appreciate having to pay the gratuity for such poor service.

-- One of the three elevators never seemed to work during our entire stay (16 - 20 August). It was always on the second floor, and I never saw it come down to the first floor - Cars would come down from five while the one continued to show two. I finally asked at the front desk if the elevator was out of order, and the clerk said she was not aware of it. Two days later it still sat on the second floor.

-- One thing we don't like about this property is the lack of beach. I understand they lost a lot of the beach during a recent storm, but there wasn't much of one to start with (that's why we liked the Courtyard so much better). A guest told me that the Marriott used to be a Ramada and that the pool had been in the hotel's courtyard, but when Marriott acquired the property they took away a good portion of the beach to put the pool where it is now, which is unfortunate in my opinion.

-- Our rate included a daily food and beverage credit, so we had lunch at the beach each day. Service was hit or miss with the wait staff. Waitress the first day was great and was available, but the other days you had to hunt for a server. It appeared that there was only one server each day, and with the number of people out at the beach and pool that just wasn't enough. There is a drink of the day and I asked the waiter what it was when he stopped by, but he did not know. He left a menu and said he would find out. When he came back he asked to take our order and I asked again what the drink of the day was. He again stated he didn't know, and offered again to go find out. We didn't want to wait another 15 minutes for him to come back with the information, so we just ordered.

-- The housekeeping staff was always friendly when we encountered them in the hallways. I would say that the rest of the staff that we encountered were polite, but not friendly, which is something I'm not used to at Marriott. The day before we checked out I was contacted and was asked if we needed anything for our last day there - wake-up call, taxi, etc. I stated we would like a taxi at noon. When I checked out I mentioned to the clerk that I had requested a taxi. She said there was no need to reserve one as they were plentiful and someone could call one up for us. My husband had been waiting in the lobby with our bags as I had to wait a bit to check out, but there was no doorman/bellman to assist us. My husband went out to look for someone, but no one was outside. We waited a bit more, and then I went back to the desk to ask if there was someone to call a taxi for us. She called for a bellman, but it took another five minutes or so for him to show up. The majority of the times that we left/returned to the hotel there was no doorman.

-- The grounds of the property are beautiful, but hallways and bathrooms (at least ours) are in need of renovation. Carpets are stained and just look faded. We did like the floats that are anchored out in the sea for the guests to use. I also like that the property has the reef balls and has put out underwater placards so that you can learn the names of some of the fish and coral. We used the pool one night and the pool deck was extremely dark, which could be a bit dangerous. Maybe some lighting could be installed at ground level. We were allowed a noon check-out, instead of 1100, at no charge due to my status, which was nice. The rooms have a mini-fridge, coffee maker, and small safe. Housekeeping kept our room well stocked with toiletries. Only issue with housekeeping was that we started off with four washcloths and they would take them once we used them, but they weren't replaced for a few days. The hotel has free parking if you decide to get a rental car. The local bus will pick you up right in front of the hotel, all you have to do is flag them down!

-- We love Grand Cayman and will be back to the Marriott, since that's the only brand of hotel we stay at. Just hope our next visit (which will be in January) is better.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank UOtterTravel
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed at the Marriott recently for four days. For a Marriott, it is an excellent value. The site has a private beach area and grotto as well as several restaurants, shops, and an on site water-sports operation. The staff are very knowledgeable about the island and how to get around. Will stay there again.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Our family of 4 just got back from Caymans and we stayed at the Marriott. Everyone's reviews was right on the money. But here's my 2 cents worth.

Location - excellent. It is in the lower, southern part of Seven Mile Beach, but right in the heart of all the action. It's close to a lot of restaurants, etc. Cesar the doorman has a lot of personality and really does remember everyone's names. The other people were also very helpful. Davina at the hotel's concierge was pleasant and helpful. I really did not run into any employees that were unpleasant.

Hotel ambiance - excellent. The lobby is pretty, very clean. The courtyard is very nice, with ponds of turtles and soothing music, and lounging hammock type chairs.

Room - very good. We had a 2 double bed room on the 2nd level, north side, and it was on the exterior of hotel. We had a partial ocean view facing the Royal Palms condominiums. I didn't hear any construction or see any near the hotel, so not sure where past travelers heard it from. Other than the plaster ceilings, I did not think the decor was too outdated, but I understand some renovations are coming in 2013. Maids on our floor were pretty good, but what I did notice was they never vacuumed any rooms. I think they only do so after checkout.

Pool - good. Only 1 pool but it's serviceable. Not overly huge, but I never thought it was crowded.

Beach - hmm... When it's high tide, the water literally wipes out the beach; water comes up to the cement. Low tide, there may be 10 feet of beach. No major issues with getting a chair, but then again, we usually didn't get out there till about 11 am or so. But the snorkeling off of beach is terrific. The artificial reefs are awesome. You only have to swim out about 30 yards or so. But it's a great starting point if you want to walk up Seven Mile Beach in the early morning or just before dusk.

Bar - ok. Food is pricey and service is ok. At the bar for lunch, I ordered 2 sandwiches, conch fritters, and 3 pina coladas (1 with alcohol, 2 without) and that cost me about $75 USD.

Gift shop - fair. Actually I found the prices here to be comparatively better than most of the shops in Georgetown. A good selection of stuff.

Business Center - ok. There's 4 computers in lobby. Cost to use internet is $2CI for every 1/2 hour, but I was able to piggy back off of someone else's usage.

Restaurants - n/a. We did not try out any of the restaurants on site. We found an excellent restaurant 3 minutes walk from hotel called Cimboco. They serve Carribean fare. Coconut Joe's was ok, but conveniently across the street. Also, an excellent and very inexpensive breakfast option is Eats Cafe, which is 1 mile north across the street from the Westin. We were able to eat breakfast for 4 for under $30 USD! For dinner, we tried XQ's, about 5-7 minute walk south of hotel. Very good food. We also ate dinner at another restaurant called Blue Cilantro, but we felt it extremely overpriced. One thing I wish we had tried was the Lobster Night they had at Solana (in Marriott). It's only on Wed, is $60CI per person, but from what I hear is excellent.

Getting around - good. Very convenient location. The bus comes every 10 minutes and cheap. Also, there's an Avis on site in the lobby. I thought they were cheaper than the Andy's car rental across the street. We rented the smallest vehicle possible for only $33 US (all in with taxes). You pay a one-time $7.50 fee for a driver's permit. We also stocked up on some groceries to lighten the food expense load. There's a Kirk's supermarket 1 mile south (about a 15-20 min walk) or take a taxi. And there's a Fosters Fair grocery store 1 mile north (just south of the Ritz Carlton).

I'd definitely recommend renting a car for at least a couple days to tour the island and try out some of the other snorkeling and diving sites. Georgetown shopping district is pretty small, concentrated in a 3-4 block radius. Remember, Sunday's, everything is closed.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank eugenius20
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We enjoyed our stay. Seven mile beach is beautiful but the beach area behind our hotel was a little too crowded (the entire beach is covered with chairs and people.) We rented a jeep and traveled the island (which I really recommend) and spent our beach time on other parts of the beach. Overall, the hotel was nice and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The hotel was nice. The room was nice, clean and the bed was comforatable. The only complaint I had about this hotel was the beach. It was a tiny sliver of sand that was packed with lounge chairs with no space in between them. There was only room for two rows of lounge chairs and at high tide the water was all the way up under them all. I have stayed at other hotels on Seven Mile and will definitely choose any of them over the Marriott in the future. They all had spacious beaches so I'm not sure why the Marriott laid out their property so that there was so little beach space.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#5 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End

Been to Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!