“cayman Marriott is Paradise”

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 21, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at the Grand Cayman Marriott for our 25th wedding anniversary. We had an incredible time. To us this place was paradise. The staff and service was impeccable. The people of the Grand Cayman are all so very nice and pleasant. Special thanks to the best hostess ever, Fannie at the main restaurant for making our anniversary extra special. So many others it is impossible to mentiion all ther names (Leonard, Zoltan, Dannis, Frenchy (nick name), Lisa (the best bartender on the island)..... You will never be treated better anywhere else. Hotel and hotel staff was amazing. Special thanks to the housekeeping crew as well. Can't wait to go back again

The Dyer's (aka room #444)

Room Tip: Room 444, ocean front suite is the best location in the house as far as we were concerned.
2  Thank Joe D

Dear Joe D,

Thank you for sharing your kind comments. All of the associates that you have mentioned will be delighted to see their names in your review. I will share your feedback with them as usual; as I am sure they will be pleased to know you were satisfied with their service. We value your feedback and looking forward to serving you again.

There are newer reviews for Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort

Reviewed June 21, 2012

This was the first trip to Grand Cayman for my husband and I. Stayed June 14th through June 18th. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful from the moment we arrived until we left. I loved the tropical courtyard and turtle lagoon and our room overlooked this area. Also loved the parrott! We had room service for breakfast each day and the portions were so large and delicious that we did not need to eat again until the evening. The beach area is lovely and we enjoyed drinks at the beach bar with beautiful sunsets (when it was not raining). We bought wine from a local store and kept it in the room fridge which helped with cost. Across the street from the hotel is a city bus stop. It cost $2.50 per person for bus fare...we felt very safe using this as our way of transportation around the island. I would stay at this hotel again.

2  Thank cindy c

Dear cindy c,

Thank you for sharing your experience about your stay at our Resort. I agree with you 100%, the sunset on Seven Mile Beach is amazing and we feel very fortunate to be working in paradise. We value and appreciate your comments and looking forward to serving you again.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

Hi! My wife and 2 kids (ages 14 and 9) stayed at the Marriott Grand Cayman for a week from June 12-19. The front desk staff were very nice (especially Marc, Laura, Andrea, Paula, Jordi, and Alex). Also, Cesar the bellman was one of the nicest people I've ever met and extremely friendly. We are Marriott Elite Silver Members and were given free internet for our entire stay, a coupon for 2 free glasses of wine, 1 Dolphin Discovery "Dolphin Lovers Swim" (which then gave us 1 free Turtle Farm Admission), and a Red Sail Sports discount coupon. They also upgraded us from a Street View room to a Partial Ocean View room for free. Our room was very nice, clean, and colorful. It was a standard size room. The bathroom was large, but kind of dark. The balcony had a view of the Comfort Suites, Georgetown (we could see the cruise ships from our room everyday), and of the ocean. It had 2 chairs and a table on the balcony. The hotel is very tropical looking and colorful with bright yellow, green, and blue. The lobby was very lively and they showed the NBA Finals at night. It was lively and fun and the bar was crowded. With our reservation, we had a $50 food credit per day. One day we went to the breakfast buffet, which was nice but very expensive and used up more than our daily $50 credit. The rest of the days we went to the Balboa's Lounge area in the lobby, where they have breakfast a la carte (muffins, fruit, cinnamon rolls, banana bread, etc). The a la carte breakfast left us money for more food later. We only ate breakfast at the hotel one night (our first night) at Red Parrot restaurant, which serves pizza. The pizza was average and very cheesy. We bought food at the supermarket while we were in Grand Cayman. The most "Target/Costco-like" store was called Cost-U-Less. It is located near the Ritz Carlton about 10 minutes away. Also, Fosters Food Fair is located at The Strand about 5 minutes north. Also, Kirks Supermarket is very modern and nice and located a few minutes south. We went to Eats Cafe near the Westin for dinner one night and it was very nice and had a large variety. If you want pizza, Pizza Hut and Papa Johns are located within 5 minutes. If you want fast food, Burger King and Wendy's are located within 5 minutes of the hotel. Every night after dinner, we would order smoothies from the bar at the hotel, and the smoothies (we got strawberry/banana) were delicious! We would look forward to drinking them the whole day! We rented a car from Alamo near the airport. We got in late the first night so we took a taxi to the Marriott and they picked us up at the hotel the next day. We rented a Subaru Legacy and it was a nice car. Driving on the left was harder than we thought it would be and we were glad we bought insurance at Alamo. As it turns out, someone scraped our car and slightly dented it while we were parked at the parking lot at the beach. We were saved from $400-500 worth of damage! The pool at the hotel was bigger than we thought it would be and it was very nice and clean. The beach area was smaller than we thought it would be and could only fit about 2-3 rows of beach chairs.The first row is taken by about 9-10 AM but you can always move chairs up to the ends of the first row. Also, if you ask the beach attendant, they will find you chairs. If someone reserves a chair with a towel and does not show up for hours, people just move their stuff and sit there. The beach attendant drills umbrellas for you which was really nice and very important in the hot sun. The sand was perfect white and very soft. The water was a beautiful blue and extremely clear. Snorkeling at the Marriott was great by the reef balls and we saw many colorful fish. They had floating tables and chairs you could sit at as well as floating yellow platforms that you could sit/lay on. The weather was nice almost every day and there were occasional 10 minutes of rain and that was it for the day. Weather.com was wrong! The fitness center was nice. Also, in the lobby there was a vacation planner and a airline screen where you could print boarding passes. We went to George Town and it was okay. It was busy with lots of tourist shops. I would have rather been at the beach though! We had booked Dolphin Discovery for the kids and were glad to get the free passes from the hotel. We went to Stingray City and other snorkeling places with Tours Cayman and were very happy. It was very affordable and nice. There is also a gift shop at the Marriott owned by Red Sail that sells nice souvenirs. The lady who works there named Kerry Ann is very unfriendly. We went into the Westin just to compare and the Marriott is MUCH BETTER. The Westin smelled musty and the wall colors were dark blue and dark green and very ugly. The beach was bigger but most of it was unused as the chairs were up front near the water. AND there were no umbrellas. The Westin looked old and dumpy. The turtle farm is kind of expensive, but go if you can because it was very fun and almost addicting to hold the young sea turtles. There are chickens and iguanas on Grand Cayman by the way. You can hear the chickens a lot! The beds at the hotel were very comfortable. Cesar the bellman gave the kids free stingray toys. He was very cool and friendly! The island is expensive and a full tank of gas is like $120 US, so spend carefully. We brought our own snorkels (made by US Divers) and used them a lot in Grand Cayman and got our money's worth. Red Sail Sports is very overpriced. The courtyard is very relaxing and beautiful. The turtles in the lagoon are cool too.

Overall, our stay was amazing. We hope to one day go back to Grand Cayman and we will for sure stay at the Marriott. We will miss the beautiful hotel and beach and kind people of the hotel and the island. If you are considering whether or not to stay here, stay at the Marriott. It will be one of the best decisions you ever make!

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank yourpalincal

Dear yourpalincal,

Thank you for sharing your experience about your stay at our Hotel. Your review covers a lot about our property and the island. On your next visit with us, make sure to try our Pizza done by Pipino. He is from Italy and makes the most delicious pizza on island in the brick oven. We appreciate your thoughtful and kind comments and looking forward to serving you again.

Nicolas Marzioni
Director of Food and Beverage

Reviewed June 20, 2012

We loved our trip to Grand Cayman and we are already trying to figure out when we can go back. We spent 4 nights in june 2012 at the Marriott and it was a great stay starting with Caesar who took our bags to our room and then remembered our names and greeted us nearly every day of our stay. He gave us great advice on where to find restaurants, grocery store and the liquor store. He made us feel like VIP guests! The rest of the staff was also very polite and helpful.
Rooms were clean & up-to-date. The hotel restaurants were delicious, though food is very expensive. We had a lot of fun at the special pirate night the hotel hosted while we were there. IT was nice to be able to snorkel in front of the hotel, but the snorkeling wasn't that great. We took a catamaran with Sun Ray Tours (the best!!!) to Stingray city and to snorkel. Go in the afternoon to avoid the cruise traffic and sail there instead of taking a motor boat. Getting there was half the fun when you sail. The Italian sailors with Sun Ray were a delight. We appreciated teh small, intimate group of 12 instead of 20-30 we saw with other tours.
The only negative we had was that shops closed so early--5 p.m. (as soon as the cruise ships leave) and there was a "smell" around the hotel many times when we walked outside...almost like garbage or sewage. It dissipated as we got closer to the ocean and wasn't present all of the time. And, we too had trouble with the wi-fi in our rooms and had to go down to the lobby to access the internet.

Dear Heather S,

Thank you for sharing your review. This is exactly how I feel when I go on vacation to my home country. My wife and I always say we can’t wait to go back to Cayman. I will share your feedback with Cesar, and he will be delighted to know you were pleased with his service. I and my 4 daughters will go to Stingray city every weekend and then spend some time at the Star Fish point, and Rum Point until sunset. Unfortunately, I am not allowed to post pictures on Trip Advisor , but this experience is wonderful and exciting and we always encourage our guest to go on this memorable excursion. We appreciate your thoughtful and kind comments and looking forward to serving you again.

Enrique Tasende

Reviewed June 20, 2012

We just came back from Grand Cayman and stayed at the Marriott for 7 days. Overall, we really enjoyed the hotel. It is on the lower part of Seven Mile Beach (7MB) about 1 mile north of George Town. Some of the other major properties (Westin and Ritz) are about 1.5 miles further north. It is a medium size property (as opposed to the Westin and Ritz which are huge hotels).
There are two restaurants on property (Red Parrot, Solana) and a number of good restaurants within easy walking range. There is a very nice, high end shopping center (Camana Bay) a few blocks away. Right across the street is a Texaco with a small mart where you can get basics like water, coke, bread, etc. There are several fast food restaurants (Wendy's, Burger King, Pizza Hut) across the street. There is good snorkeling right off the beach (you can walk out to the reef which is mostly created from artificial reef balls). The junior suite that we stayed in was just a long rectangular room with a king bed and a pull out couch -- no separate room. The beach chairs were plentiful and they were offered on a first come, first served basis. Nice basic pool (just a simple kidney-shaped pool that goes from 3 feet to 5 feet in depth). You can jump on a public bus right outside the hotel for $2/person and go anywhere from George Town to the West Bay where the turtle farm is located.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the x38 (i.e. 238, 338, ...) rooms -- they are right above the main entrance to th...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 19, 2012

The Grand Cayman Island is overpriced for what you get. We have traveled to Belize, South Andros Isand and Cancun, serveral times For the adventure and a lot less money the other vacation spots would be your smart way to go. We were completely disenchanted with the entire trip. In regard to the hotel room furnishings are nice. The carpet needed replaced. Front desk people are for the most part very helpful. The wireless internet would not work in our room. We had to go to the lobby to get access. The activies and day trip desk in the lobby leave something to be desired. My husband and I wanted to take a 1/2 day fishing trip. The agent was going to check on the day and time for us but never got it arranged. You are required to buy you drinks while on the beach at the poolside bar. We tried to take water with us and they told us it was not allowed since we had not bought it at the poolside bar. The price of the bottled water at the local grocery was Dasani 24 pack at a whooping price of $16.80 US money. This would cost $4.99 in the states. $5.50 in Belize. Do yourself a favor and go to Belize, Bahamas or Cancun. Your pocket book will thank you.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank bg0302
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

Dear bg0302,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and I appreciate your kind comments about the front desk staff. I will look into the internet signal situation you noted in order to correct the connection problem you experienced in your room. I am sorry to hear that you perceived the island to be overpriced. Although I understand your point, I believe the price fits the lifestyle and what Cayman has to offer which is safety, excellent service, luxury and much more. We appreciate your comments and looking forward to serving you again.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed at Marriott June 7, 2012. Everyone very friendly, hotel room beautiful, food great, service great. Definitely would go back. I did think it was strange that over 4 days I never saw the same desk clerk. Very strange. ONe minor detail, they do not serve Coca Cola products. I had to walk to gas station to get coke for my rum and coke drinks. I did notice that guests did bring their own thermos cups to make their own drinks and snacks to help cut costs. Rum drinks $13.00 american. The hotel is a great location. Walking distance to Havana Club, Reef Grill, and other restaurants and shops. Also everything closes on Sunday so plan around that day. Nightlife at Havana Club or Reef Grill or Calico's. Bars close at midnight on Saturday nites. Visited Caybrew Brewery. Jet Ski tour awesome. Its a must to visit Stingray city. I still think the water in Cozumel is much clearer and better snorkeling sites. Rented car for one day from Andy's car rental. Price $60 for the day. Taxis very expensive. For a half mile trip $10.00. Gas price for a gallon is $6.00. Ouch!. Very expensive there.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank April G
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

Dear April G,

Thank you for sharing your comments. I agree with you, visiting Stingray City is a must while you are on your vacation. We have uploaded a video of this well liked attraction on Marriott.com for our guest’s pleasure .I always say to my friends that usually visits other water parks and aquariums around the world, that in Cayman we have the honor of enjoying the stingrays in their natural habitat at a sand bar in the middle of the ocean. I do this almost every Sunday with my 4 daughters. (GM’s Tip- take along some squids with you and feed them like you’re feeding your dog at home). This is indeed a wonderful experience and we encourage our guest to take a trip while vacationing. We appreciate your kind comments and looking forward to serving you again.

Enrique Tasende

Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mi...
#7 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#2 of 2 in East End

Been to Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!