“Awesome!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
“Awesome!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

My hubby and stayed March 31- April 3 and had an awesome time. The rooms were clean and modern. We found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating. Both the beach and pool areas were well maintained. Definitely looking forward to going again next year.

• Stayed April 2011
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank indi523

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,443)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

Service at this Marriott was the best my husband and I have experienced at any resort in our many vacations in the Carribean. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Brando, one of the doormen,went out of his way many times to help with reservations, and answered any questions we had. We went on tours of the island and especially loved Stingray City. This is a must do! Redsail Sports, located right in the hotel, made everything easy for tours, snorkeling, etc. We ate some meals at the hotel, but there are also many great places to eat within walking distance. Don't miss Cimboco's for delicious and inexpensive dining. Also, Ragazzi's and Decker's have great food. This beach was beautiful and not crowded at all when we were there. Diane I.

• Stayed May 2011
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank Dianelynn123
Montreal, QC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed at the Marriott for 4 nights at the beginning of May. The room was nice and clean and a great size.
The beach was beautiful and although the hotel was full we never had any problems getting chairs on the beach. The attendants were very helpful and would come move our umbrella around as the sun moved.
We ate at the beach bar for lunch one day, it's expensive, but the food was good.
We were able to get the free wifi from the hotel next door so we didn't have to pay the ridiculous price that the Marriott charges.
Overall a great stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jsnoon
Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

We attempted to check in at 1130 am. A wait was expected as check in time is not until 4pm however the front desk could not find our reservation even when we provided a confirmation number . We had booked directly with reservations the evening before check in and reserved an oceanfront with 2 double beds. The room was for my sister, myself, my nephew, and my son. The phone agent said this was available, no problem. Since they were unable to find us we had to get out of line and use their computers to print out the reservation. At this point we saw on the email that the double beds were not confirmed. We got back in line and waited some more. The agent was taking care of us when we asked if it was possible to change to the all-inclusive plan. I would think that they would be able to add X amount dollars per night. The front desk could not give us this option. We were advised to call reservations so they could cancel the original room and rebook. The agent on the phone said the all-inclusive was not available on oceanfront rooms but that the double beds were available on courtyard view. So that's what we did. We really wanted an oceanfront room so after attempting to check-in again we asked. So the manager says yes they do offer all-inclusive on oceanfront but it is an additional $100 per night. We agreed to that price. He then says they do not have 2 double beds available so we would have to have a king and a pull out couch. <<<sigh>>> very frustrating. By this point I lost my cool because our initial reservation for double beds oceanfront was available 30 minutes earlier. We were ready to give up on the Marriott and go to another resort. However Alex, the front desk manager took care of us. He put us in the Presidential Suite, we still had only one king size bed, a pull out couch, and a rollaway bed. My sister and I grumbled a little about sharing a bed but the view, the ample space, the 3 balconies, 2 bathrooms, and the kitchenette more than made up for our frustrations.
We went with the all-inclusive after some quick figures when we saw the prices on the menu. I definitely recommend this option if you have big eaters ( two 12 year olds with us). It was nice to be able to walk up to the pool bar or lobby bar when you were thirsty and great to keep the cash in the room. Now if you are used to a typical all-inclusive resort be prepared for some differences. Remember not everyone is on the all-inclusive plan. You have to sign for each bill as if you were paying, but the price is taken off your final bill. You could order room service which was a treat. The biggest drawback we found is in the variety of food. Most food was typical American/Continental, although excellent quality, we wish we could have tried some local dishes.
Overall, I would choose the Marriott again, although we would double check the reservations and pack more patience.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Anne C
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

I went to the Cayman Islands the weekend of 4th of July. I flew from Chicago to Miami and then the Islands via American. Not a long layover at all which made me more excited as this was my 1st trip to the Islands. Arrived around 11:45 AM. Customs was horrendous, well over 1 hour but then again, it's a small airport. The distance from the airport to the hotel was relatively short and only about $20USD. When I arrived at the hotel, I was greeted with an ice cold tropical lemonade of some sorts. I was upgraded which was awesome! I had originally booked a garden view room but was upgraded to the 4th floor with a beautiful view of the ocean. My room was available right away. I checked-in and changed into my swimsuit all within one hour of checking in. Not bad at all. I was at the pool a total of 5 minutes for the simple fact than an annoying group of kids were playing "Marco/Polo" very loud! I had been up since 3:30 AM and just didn't feel like listening to that. Either way, I prefer to swim in the ocean. The water is crystal clear. At waist high, I was still able to look down at my feet! Plus the water was warm which was a plus for me. The chairs on the beach are very crowded as others have mentioned but that didn't bother me; I just moved a little farther away. The beach service was great as well, very attentive. I ordered the burger and my gosh, IT WAS DELICIOUS! Back to the hotel, the room was cozy, clean, spacious bathroom with toiletries from The Body Shop which I really enjoyed. Everyone was always super friendly, always saying hello, good morning, etc. It was quite charming. I never ate breakfast or dinner at the hotel as I followed a few suggestions from TA so I can't comment on the restaurants. The hotel is situated in a good location as there are plenty of restaurants (almost all in strip malls by the way which is somewhat strange!) on West Bay Road. Check-out was a breeze as well. I would most definitely recommend this hotel as the staff are wonderful, gracious, the ocean is amazing, I just can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lluvia37
Grand Cayman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

Arrived from Lithuania via an overnight stop in London and brief stop (45 mins) in Nassau..excellent flight, well done BA. Long trip. The greeting at the hotel was superb, especially from Michael the head concierge/bell hop. Apart from his glasses my immediate thought was "Denzil Washington". And that was where the staff friendliness started, and it just didn't stop. Excellent help always from reception, especially want to mention the Eastern European Ladies from Bulgaria and Romania but not to exclude any of the others (apologies, I am hopeless at names).

Initially had a seafront room, but changed this after 5 days (we were there for 13) as it was noisy at the front sometimes..beach noise, people noise, bar noise..so got cheaper but just as good room at the side and slept like babies. However we are light sleepers, so heavier sleepers may not find that bothersome.We booked the hotel via a corporate booking which did not include breakfast, which whilst it was excellent I was not prepared to pay USD50 extra a morning for two people..as good as it was. Later spoke to several couples who booked room and breakfast deals with cheaper hotel rates too. I could not find these on any UK sites, and was told they were found on American websites. We hired a car and found plenty of good cafes near to hotel and a little further (Governors square) with internet for free too (as opposed to the USD15 per day hotel charge). Average breakfast cost for two at these cafes was around USD15-20.

Beach and sea were fantastic, snorkelling wonderful, service excellent on the beach and beach bar. Cleaning ladies helpful and efficient although I lost a white T shirt (probably left on bed and mixed up while changing linen and my wife lost a pair of black knickers..most bizarre!)

As most writers comment, Cayman is not cheap. Almost everywhere 15% is added to your bill for service and then space left for "additional tips". Reminded me a little of cruise ships system. However the cafes did not charge the 15%, and neither did a few restaurants. Raggazi, a superb Italian restaurant in Buckingham Square with first class food, ambience and service did not charge, but I was really happy to leave the 15% in cash. Ragazzi's sister restaurant Luka, on the other hand, was terrible, overpriced, 15% added to the bill and an arrogant Italian waiter who really needs some rehab. My wife sent her food back as it seemed to be yesterdays heated up, and my seafood pasta was smothered in a hot sauce that killed all other flavours. Other restaurants tried were Hemmingways (good but seriously overpriced), Orantique in Camana Bay (excellent but huge portions, we took 3 starters between us and could not finish that-do try the mussels..sauce is wonderful)-not cheap either, Pappagalo (north end of island) I liked it a lot, my wife did not.

I suspect that Marriot is about the best Hotel on the island, everything you could ever want..especially service..just try to get deals with breakfast included!

In Cayman Iguana run wild everywhere, but are harmless and run away from people, chickens also run wild everywhere, even ironically, outside the KFC in Georgetown. We managed to see one barracuda and two sting rays which were fascinating, along with all the other wonderful fish species. Also travellers beware July and August are really hot and humid and walking, except at night, is really tough.

Room Tip: As we heard via websites in USA. Cayman is mainly desigend for the US wealthier traveller
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BritLithcouple
Wantagh, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

We had been to the Marriott in St. Kitts last year and loved it. So when our travel agent recommended the one in the Cayman Islands we said YES, YES, YES!!!! Well, our experience this time was all we had experienced last year and more. The service was outstanding (got to love a staff that greets you cordially by name every time they see you and knows what you like to eat and drink). Also, it was my birthday during our stay and the travel planner sent champagne and strawberries to our room. Our room was very roomy and comfortable. The beach was amazing with this great chair thing to sit in the water. The food was unbelievable and since we were on the all-inclusive plan, we tried just about everything and never had a bad meal. All in all we had a great vacation and can't wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: We had an oceanview room on the top floor, which was very quiet. I would not take a room near the p...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family