“Great experience in all respects”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seven Mile Beach
Beachcomber Grand Cayman
Reviewed February 7, 2011

We rented Unit 25 for a week after New Year's for husband, wife, two 20-ish children. #25 is two bedroom, but because it was converted from a 3 BR, it has tons of open space. One child slept on nice pullman sofa/bed. Apartment is very nicely furnished and supplied - great TV, kitchen appliances, cutlery, dishes, food prep and storage items, linens and towels (lots and luxurious) - we had everything we needed and the quality was excellent.
I had read some complaints about street noise at Beachcomber, but we all slept soundly and undisturbed the entire week. Having the shopping center across the road with large supermarket and two liquor stores was most convenient. We cooked in or grilled on the beach several nights and it was fun and relaxing. We could also walk down the beach to Luca or the Ritz when needed. Beach was kept immaculate, as were chairs, tables, lounges, pool, showers and hot tubs.
Housekeeping was very professional and unobtrusive. The house rules seemed appropriate for staying in someone else's (very nice) condo (the very lengthy, critical review I just read didn't sound like the same place we stayed...).
All in all, while this was a fairly expensive place to vacation (not to mention the cost of eating and drinking on Grand Cayman), it was an excellent experience and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a quiet, low-key, but very upscale place to stay on Seven Mile Beach.
Vacation tip - if you have a car, take the time to drive around the island and see the less-touristy places at the east end. The restored Pedro St. James "Castle" (actually a planter's mansion) was delightful, including an introduction to Jack, at 33 the last surviving Jerusalem donkey on the island. The blow holes on the south shore were amazing. The north shore has had a lot of development (some unfinished) but it is still quite pristine in many areas. Rum Point is pretty touristy, but in the same area is the Kaibo Grill, with the best frozen rum/fruit drinks on the island!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Diversrus

Reviewed January 31, 2011

Stayed here with girlfriends in Beachcomber #18. Can not say enough about this rental property, and specifically about #18. The Beachcomber was recently rebuilt (after the storms) and they did a remarkable job on this property. The condo was amazing, beautiful pool/hot tub area, fully stocked condo. This totally exceeded my expectations and was perfect for a girls trip, but would also be fabulous for a family rental, or a couples trip.

The staff goes above and beyond, location is perfect, there is a nice gym on property, and the views of the ocean from your balcony are unbeatable!!! I loved this place!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank TRCandJJC
Reviewed January 30, 2011

Booked on a January special which took 15% off the high season rate. For central SMB area this was a wonderful incentive to try the place when our first option didn't work out. Initial email to book the place was courteous and prompt in guaranteeing the unit requested. Inquired about having groceries delivered and they recommended BKM. We did use their services and while knowing full well the price up front($150 US per 50-75 pieces), realized how ridiculous it was when the delivery charge ended up being half the price of our groceries---live and learn--but they did do as promised and all items were in condo on arrival. A week before arrival, Beachcomber contacted us to find out our arrival time. We arrived as scheduled and were greeted in their office by a woman who may have been Amanda or Jan(I didn't ask and she didn't say but another guest filled me in). Pleasant interaction and we were given our key. Slightly taken aback that there was no one to assist us to our room as has been done in other condos in that area on our past trips. She directed us to the elevator, my husband got the flimsy luggage rack and off we went. A cute beach bag with Beachcomber on it was left in the room for us along with a few magazines and a clear plastic hang tag thing to put perhaps your room key or money in and take to pool area. Very nice touch. This particular condo had 2 twin beds, 1 queen and a king in the master bedroom. The unit was clean. Furnishings were nice. The room was HOT and we were surprised that the maid service knowing we'd arrive that afternoon hadn't been instructed to turn the air on/down a couple notches even an hour before our arrival. Small thing but we immediately set out shutting all the shutters in hopes it'd cool down. The ceiling fans didn't seem to do much good for some reason. The layout and feel of the condos are exactly like Meridian's which is a few years older and directly next door. When we booked the condo there were only a few available and instead of a top floor unit that was open we chose the 3rd floor corner unit because of the view out the side windows and the huge sundeck attached to the patio area. Neither of these ended up being a plus. The view out the side windows of the living room are of Meridian. We ended up just keeping the shutters closed so we wouldn't feel like we were so close together. The sundeck had it's plusses and minusses during our stay. When no one was out above or across from us, I liked it. Unfortunately everyone else was like us and wanted to enjoy the balconies so most of the time we felt as if we were on vacation with a group of people. The 4th floor units are set back over the 3rd floor sundecks so when those guests decide to stand at their balcony to take in the view, they also take in a view of the people on the 3rd floor. I don't know if when they were sitting they could see as I never asked or was on those floors. Also an issue arose with the people above us smoking on the balcony and because of the way it was set up, the smoke would flow onto our balcony. Wasn't pleasant for us at all. In addition to feeling like the 4th floor guests and Meridian's corner unit guests were 'with' us the added thing is there is nothing blocking the end unit from seeing the people next door on their balcony or even the people all the way at the end of the 3rd floor. Half of it's hidden by a wall but there is a large section(think lounge chair length+) that is open on all of the units from about waist high. Not sure how to explain it but if you want privacy, don't bother with the 3rd floor or a corner unit facing Meridian. And speaking of privacy, while my husband laughed at first he too realized that he could clearly see into the next door condo's bedroom from our sundeck. I felt compelled to always get changed in the bathroom or shut the curtains in the bedroom. Not my idea of a vacation to constantly have to shut out the view of the ocean. Bathrooms were lovely---spacious and modern. Small minus on the thing they put in the shower to hold toiletries. It didn't appear to be made for it or else the floor had settled becuase our things kept sliding off. There was extra toilet paper and tissues kept in the bathroom cabinet which was considerate. They had soap, combo shampoo/conditioner and shower gel available for use. Laundry room was great--full size washer, dryer, ironing board and iron. In addition if needed you had access to broom and mop. And while not being funny it just dawned on me, were these items out for me to use? I'll take this opportunity to go to housekeeping. I have total respect for the housekeeping staff and go out of our way to be polite and thankful for their hard work. We tip daily and then a little more at the end of our trip. We clean up after ourselves as we go, definately better than when at home. But this is the first trip anywhere where I told my husband on the last day that he could put out the tip because I just couldn't bring myself to do it. He went ahead because he feels they get away with what management allows so they know no better and they have to feed their families too. Towels were changed daily and bed was made(we only used one bedroom well until we wanted to watch a DVD but I'll get to that later). I did our dishes as instructed by the numerous reminders that 'houskeeping does not do dishes'(maybe someone else can verify that this is the norm everywhere bc I don't recall ever getting so much attention to the dishes on our stays). I always do mine but felt it was overkill with the printing it in the welcome book, giving it to me on a piece of paper at arrival and then having it printed up again on our departure letter stating they'd charge $20 an hour if any dirty dishes were left behind. I admit it's crazy for this to bother me so much but it did. Getting back to housekeeping. We had the same Ms Reid as probably everyone else. So she made the bed and she or another person changed out the towels(which I stack in a pile in one area so she doesn't have to go searching) but she never once during that whole week was seen with a window cleaner, broom or mop. The same 2 pillows that were behind the bedroom chair the first night stayed there until I picked them up on our departure day. The same dead bug remained on the floor in the bathroom and the same spots on the tile floor throughout the unit were there all week. Forget her touching the balcony/sundeck area. There was either flowers or some other stuff laying out there on the ground near the table/chair unit that just sat there from arrival to departure. I admit in past visits to the island we'd tell the housekeeper to please not worry so much about doing the floors or windows but they always said 'it's their job' with a smile or 'don't worry'. So a major minus to housekeeping. And as there's no Sunday maid service, it'd be advisable to leave extra bath and beach towels for the guests. We were fortunate to be able to just get them out of the extra bathrooms but if we were a full group, no idea if I was supposed to wash them again or if there'd be some where to get fresh ones.. Gym: husband liked the equipment but didn't like the air conditioner being down for at least 2 days. DVD players that are supposed to be in all units. Surprise! Even after I mentioned it to the front desk on Monday when they opened up and was told 'hmm, did you look at the tv to see if it's on there bc it'd be odd if it wasn't' we never did find them in the living room or master bedroom. We found the smaller two bedroom tv's had the dvd players built into the tv. We ended up just going into one of those bedrooms to watch a movie. Very inconvenient as minor as it sounds. If we'd had the family there, can you imagine having to cram every one into a bedroom to use it? I think the front office staff should know definitively that ALL units have it or don't and then they should have offered to come up and find it! I don't know who the gentleman that came out of the side office in the main office to give his opinion but trust he wasn't an employee bc if he was, the woman should have told him to come back to our unit to find it. And while on the subject of the mystery man in the office: he's the same one that told me there's a phone book in the room when I told them about my having called someone in the middle of the night in hopes of getting the partiers at Meridian to stop---who I could hear and see from my unit at 2 am LOUDLY partying. When I said I had called the nightguard, the woman and gentleman asked where I got a number and I replied that I called the number on the sheet given at arrival. The paper said if there were any problems at night to call it and right after it stated there was a nightguard on duty so I figured that's who I was calling. Nope, I must have called someone who was sound asleep on another part of the island and asked them to intervene with Meridian's guard. The whole thing was ridiculous. The second time the partiers were too much for us to handle, I did get out the phone book(didn't want the guy in the office to yell at me ;), called Meridian and got an answering machine and pretty much threatened to call the police in 15 minutes if the noise didn't stop I know no one was listening to it but I was frustrated and tired. I then called the Beachcomber's night person, woke her up and she said she'd call Lee at Meridian. I apologized again, said I did call Meridian with no luck and also advised if she couldn't help me, I'd call the police directly. When I say 'noisy' I mean 'NOISY'. Within 15 minutes of my calls both nights, the noise stopped. I have no idea if it was due to my calling or just another disgruntled guest at one of the two places. And for the record, people who weren't in the corner units also heard the partying but thought it was coming from inside of Beachcomber. Nightguard: still not clear on whether there is a person site or at a distance but they do clearly state it in the paperwork given at arrival there is a guard on duty overnight. The guests should have a number directly to him/her in case of an issue because they obviously aren't patrolling the beachside at all. Office: overnight manager should definately tell the day shift manager/staff of any problems that arose overnight whether they deem it silly or not. My husband and I felt at no time was anyone concerned about us becoming returning guests. Perhaps the owners don't need the income and not many are in the rental pool. From the time we arrived to the time we left, we never felt 'welcome'. And again, people talk during their visits to the island while sitting at the pool, hottub or beach and we weren't alone in our assessment of the place overall. Pool/spa: top notch all around. Two hottubs--one was always hotter than the other possibly because it was closer to the heater. Pool was kept clean and since they have a 'no blow up toy' policy for the pool it was a nice change from having to wade through a bunch of things just to sit and read. It's an infinity pool but loses some of it's 'look' because they insist on stacking their lounge chairs in front of the pool so you lose part of the effect. Another guest didn't realize it was an infinity pool until we pointed it out so it becomes why bother to go to the expense of putting it in, if no one can figure it out without being told(okay that's a hangup not a real complaint :) I think I covered everything except our parting letter that was put in our unit the day before departure. It stated a thank you for visiting and that someone else was going to be using the unit so in bold letters and I think underlined 'no late departures' will be given and to be out at 11am, can store luggage but if office is closed to drop keys in drop box. That was one paragraph. The second entire paragraph was about the blasted dishes!!! LOL Were they serious? No mention of cleaning out the fridge or taking our your trash but heaven help you if you left a dish in the sink. Anyway turns out another guest and I were talking and they didn't get that letter. So what gives? I know our unit did have a guest at some point after us so don't dispute their need for the room. I'd like to have seen a letter, call or personal interaction from management asking what time my plane departed and if my reply was later in the day, an offer to sit in another unit or that they'd keep office open for me. I do expect it. My husband didn't want to deal with the office staff at all so we opted to just head to airport. I did go inside to return keys to see if anything would be said to me. Nope. I think they were even surprised I came inside to hand them the keys instead of just putting it outside. I did get a 'hope the weather back home is nice' or something along those lines. But no 'how was your stay?' any chance we can get you back here?' No 'sorry you were up all night again'. Either the night person never told them yet again I had called or they just didn't care. They had charged my credit card upon arrival so I guess their business transaction really ended with me on my arrival day. Unless I left a spoon in the sink and then I'd be charged $20(I can't even take credit for that line since another guest joked about it :) So putting aside the partying clan next door and the poor positiion of the unit we stayed in, we still wouldn't run back to Beachcomber. I think they felt they were doing fine before we came and well, they'll have to do fine without us or our recommendation in the future.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
14  Thank filter14
7MBeach, Front Office Manager at Beachcomber Grand Cayman, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2011

I appreciate and look forward to comments and reviews of Beachcomber condominiums but feel this review is highly unfair and does require a response from Beachcomber management. At no time did this guest call or come to the office to make any complaint, other than the noise issue coming from the property next door and a problem locating the DVD. Myself, Amanda Evans, welcomed this lovely guest with whom I had had prior communication via phone/email before arrival. In fact, when she opened the office door, I said "Welcome to Beachcomber! I feel I already know you !" After briefly chatting, keys were given out along with directions to Apt # 11. Because this was a Sunday check in, there is no staff working, there was no one available to help with luggage - however there was no mention of any need for assistance and the 2 guests made their way to the apartment. If the apt. was hot when the guest entered the apt. I was not made aware of it, not then or at any other time during the stay. Each apt. is checked and set up, by myself, for each arrival - A/C is turned down, lights are turned on, a general check of everything being ready for guest's arrival. $ 600 worth of groceries had been placed in the apt. by BKM - this grocery service provider is very precise and clear on the charges for his services on his website. Yes, the amount was high, $600 worth of groceries is a lot of items and the guest knew before arrival what the charge would be, per item. The groceries were not just 'placed' in the apt. they were neatly put away and sorted for the guest. When the guest of # 11 brought the payment for groceries to the office, there was no complaint, no mention of any disapproval of the service or charges.
Ms. Reid, a highly valued housekeeper, was also surprised at this guest's comments regarding the care of the apt during their stay, extra towels were left for the guest - even though there were towels still available in each of the bedrooms that were not used - those towels were not used by the guest. The apt was swept and mopped daily - including the large patio. And yes, we do ask that guests place dishes in the dishwasher as the housekeepers have a tight schedule and do not have the time to spend loading the dishwasher. I realize this was a party of only 2 guests who were very neat and tidy but typically it is not the case when there are 6 - 8 guests using a lot of dishes/ glassware and no one in the past has had any complaint regarding this request. Here again, at no time did this guest complain to the housekeeper or management that there was any problem or dissatisfaction in any way. As I have said, this was a lovely guest who was most friendly and seemed to be fine once we were able to sort out the noisy guests who were part of a
birthday/anniversary group of 100 guests that were staying at Meridian, next door - something that was beyond our control. Beachcomber did have guests that were part of the group from Meridian and unfortunately they did go back and forth from Meridian to Beachcomber. At no time did the guest from # 11 complain about smoke from another patio, people / floats in the pool, etc.
The gym A/C issue did not get reported to the office but once we got the information the technician was called in and the problem was fixed within the hour. We can only respond to issues that are reported and I cannot emphasize enough to guests, please, please, please DO NOT hesitate to call and report any problem. This is what I told the guest of # 11 when she was appologising for calling to complain about the noise - at 11:00 PM (not 2:00 AM) Never appologise, it is our job to see that our guests are comfortable and safe, we are onsite 24 hours and are there to help. Thank you for the opportunity to offer a rebuttal to this review, I would welcome anyone to contact me for any follow up on these allogations. At Beachcomber, we pride ourselves on the service we provide our highly valued guests and hope that this review will not deter someone from experiencing the most beautiful location on Seven Mile Beach. Kind Regards, Amanda Evans, Reservations / Guest Services 345-943-6500

Reviewed November 10, 2010

Just back from our second stay at the Beachcomber. This time we were in condo #39. This is a top floor (7), 2 bed/2 bath condo. It is extremely large, well equipped and comfortable. The condo was kept spotless everyday by the lovely housekeeper Miss Reid. We had fresh bath and beach towels daily. The balcony is enormous with uninterrupted views of the Caribbean Sea. The beach is gorgeous - we had a week, and only saw 6 people max on the Beachcombers bit of beach - which was well manicured nearly every day. The water is lovely and easy for little ones to walk into - we traveled with our 3 1/2 yr old daughter. There are plenty of beach umbrellas and 2 larger beach huts to shade from the hot sun if needed. We arrived on a Sunday and know the supermarkets are closed (which are across the road also), so went to dinner across the road to Eduardos - great quality food at a reasonable price (for Grand Cayman!).You can pre-order arrival groceries via the Beachcomber staff if you don't want to go out.(including wine/beers). We had a lovely dinner another night at Luca, which is a gentle stroll 5 minutes down the beach. A little more pricey, but definitely worth it.
Overall weather was great, apart from rough sea on our last few days, due to the winds created by Hurricane Tomas. I would highly recommend the Beachcomber and would definitely return. Thanks Beachcomber!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank ny123
Reviewed November 3, 2010

We stayed in a corner room on the fifth floor of the beachcomber in the Cayman Islands, and it couldn't have been any more perfect. Every amenity seemed to provide us with the highest of qualities, and we have no complaints. The room was not only spotless, but also fit for a master chef, king, tv obsessor, veteran snorkler, or a cunning romantic.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank jconger2
Reviewed November 2, 2010

The Beachcomer is an excellent place to stay on Grand Cayman. We had a group of 8 including 2 small children and with the 4 bedroom condo, we all had plenty of space. The bedrooms were sufficiently isolated from the living area of the condo, that even when one of the children woke up in the morning the other one was still able to sleep. Graet view and the location was good for seeing all the parts of the island. We hated to leave and hope to get back again

Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank docdave2
Reviewed October 24, 2010

We usually have a hotel room, but what a difference at the Beachcomber! There are 40 units, built about 2 years ago. Clean, contemporary, with high ceilings, full kitchens with granite, designer appliances, and a huge balcony on Seven Mile Beach. Very reasonably priced, quiet, and great underground parking. Situated across the street from the nice supermarket and other shopping. Great beach with some shaded areas, an infinity pool with 2 hot tubs, and there were never more than 10 people out there.
We're going back in December. Unit 39 was spectacular!
Bernie and Vicki