“Beautiful Place but terrible food.”
Review of Hemmingway's

Hemmingway's
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We went 2nd week in Sept. and hands down it was the worst food we had on the island. My husband ordered a fish dish & it seriously tasted like cigarette butts...disgusting. I ordered a chicken dish and it was also very bad. The staff was so nice that I didn't have the heart to tell them. I do regret not saying something because clearly the doors would not be able to stay open if they served food like this. The positives - nice feel & look. The staff was nice.

There are newer reviews for Hemmingway's

Reviewed September 5, 2010

Hemmingway's has a great variety on their menu. I had a great bowl of lobster and calm chowder that was delicious. My husband had a nice acorn soup. The bread was very unique - mango with chilies but very good. I had a nice goat cheese and mushroom raviolli with a basil cream sauce. My husband had seafood paella which he loved. The stickey toffee pudding was excellect as well as the pumpkin cheesecake. Service was a little slow but we were there to enjoy the night and the meal.

Reviewed April 21, 2010

Had breakfast here since we were staying at the Grand Cayman Beach Suites. My husband and I ordered the Vegetarian Omelet and Belgian Waffles. The presentation was great and the food was decent. The waffle was better than the omelet which was bland and the pepper jack cheese on the omelet had no taste at all. I probably wouldn't go back there again for breakfast.

We also had the Mahi sandwich for dinner one night. Probably the cheapest item on the menu, but a good-sized portion. The fish had a strong, unidentifiable taste, but little flavor. Certainly wouldn't recommend it. If this and the previous breakfast are anything to judge by, we're glad we didn't order the outrageously ($35 Cayman) priced "special", which is the fish that is available either blackened or with some plantain something that has been mentioned on here previously. We also ordered the sticky toffee pudding, which has been raved about often on here. I don't see what the fuss is all about. It was average, with boring, spongy texture and unremarkable taste. Overpriced and certainly didn't live up to the hype. We didn't even finish either item!

Overall, it's an average, quiet restaurant by the sea. Great potential, but the decor and especially the food are letting it down. The setting is not as beautiful as it would seem, even though the restaurant is probably only 40 feet from the sea. The large plants block the view, so you're staring at the plants instead of the sea, which is really what you come there for.