“Not a chain but wish it was. . .”
Review of Sunshine Grill

Sunshine Grill
Cuisines: American, Caribbean
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Description: Enjoy world-class casual dining with true Caribbean flair for breakfast, lunch, dinner or drinks. Our colorful poolside restaurant with award winning food at an affordable price has made the Sunshine Grill a favorite for local residents and international visitors alike. Everyday favorites include the BEST angus burgers, award winning fish tacos and island specialty drinks.
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed at Sunshine Suites recently and dined at Sunshine Grill several times. Renovation was underway when we arrived, but we ate our first meal there on Oct 15, the day the grill reopened, and we were NOT disappointed. The grill is highly acclaimed by locals, and we understand why. Food is delicious and plentiful, and our servers were always friendly. Loved the tropical, laidback atmosphere and the mini soft-serve ice cream cones that always arrive at the end of the meal. A number of their items are knock-offs from other well-known restaurants. We tried a number of appetizers, entrees, sandwiches, etc., and everything was excellent.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,086)

Reviewed October 21, 2012

A small quaint little grill in a resort, a hidden gem. The food was amazing, staff friendly, very inexpensive compared to the rest of the caymans. Great portions and wonderful taste. The also give a small ice cream cone after the meal for free, it was the best tasting ice cream.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

First of all, you need to know that food is expensive in Grand Cayman, but there are a lot of delicious choices. You need to come prepared with a food budget - a decent budget AVERAGES out to $90 to $120 USD per person per day depending on your taste buds and appetite (including conversion and tips): approximately $20-30 for breakfast, $30-40 for lunch, $35-50 for dinner - sometimes more; definitely more if you include alcohol.

What I did was put the money in separate envelopes for each day so I had my daily allowance. If I spent less on one meal, I knew I had enough to splurge at another. If you come prepared, when you get there just enjoy (and when you get home, no credit card bills to stress about - awesome).

I ate several times for lunch and dinner at Sunshine Grill (ate breakfast once - didn't like it). The prices were cheap by Cayman standards: less than $20 including tips for tacos and a drink. This allowed me to splurge on my other meals, and it was win-win because the food was awesome!!! My taste buds started craving the food here a lot during my trip.

I tried the "World Famous" Island Fish Tacos, the Crispy Mahi Tacos and the Grilled Voodoo Shrimp Tacos. My favourite was the island fish tacos. After a day of diving, I looked forward to this meal!
They also often give you a free mini-cone of home made soft serve ice cream. One night it was lychee flavoured, once it was berries. It was the perfect way to cap off the meal.

Note on service - already mentioned in my review on the Sunshine Suites about a problem I had getting a table here once, since I was traveling solo, which was resolved by reporting it to the front desk. You can also stay at the bar if it's empty.

Recommend coming early or calling ahead to make reservations (I know they allow you to make reservations if you're staying at the Sunshine Suites, not sure about those staying elsewhere).

If they moved this restaurant to where I live, would I pay the same price for the fish tacos? YES, I would! So goes without saying that I highly recommend you check this restaurant out while in Grand Cayman.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Been there many times it is typical bar food. There is nothing special about it... staff can be very surly. There are some great places to eat in Grand Cayman! DO NOT let the locals.. who probably have a reason to rate it highly convince you to go!

1  Thank CaymanAsheville
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Basically this place is part of the meal plan when we visit Cayman. They are super casual, super friendly, super yummy and reasonably priced! I think we ate there every day of one of our trips. We didn't eat there as much on our last trip because they were closed for remodeling. Excellent place!