“Almost perfect!”

Ragazzi Ristorante & Pizzeria
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Description: Authentic Italian Cusine It is all about good food, love, friendship and family. ​ Ragazzi Restaurant is owned and run by good friends Paolo Polloni and Andi Marcher. With it’s vibrant colors, authentic wood burning pizza oven and central location, it has become a meeting point for friends.
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We came here our last night in Grand Cayman based on the TripAdvisor reviews and the fact that it was a sister restaurant to Luca, whose brunch was so impressive. It's tucked away at the rear of a little retail center. It has an extensive wine list. They had hundreds of bottles ranging from about $30 to $1200 a bottle. We went with something at the lower end of the range. We were there for dinner, not pizza. The place was almost full and we got a small, cramped table in the center of the room. Then, something happened that I've never seen done before. A better table opened up and they came over to us and asked if we'd prefer the more spacious table (and more comfortable chairs to boot). Excellent and thoughtful service!

Anyway, I ordered a beef carpaccio appetizer, a Caesar salad and Penne Lobster. My wife ordered frito misto, a Caesar salad and red snapper. The waiter was attentive and knowledgeable about the wines. He kept the water glasses filled and the wine glasses at the proper level. My carpaccio was tender and paper thin, dressed with a creamy horseradish and some greens. It was good, although I preferred the less gussied up version at Luca's brunch. I tried my wife's calamari from her misto plate, it was very tender. A tough thing to do with those potential rubber bands.

The only disappointment of the evening was the Caesar salad. It was shockingly below par compared to the rest of the food. It was very, very mild. I could taste no anchovy, barely any garlic and the lettuce, although fresh and crisp, was minimally dressed, one could say, dry. My preferred Caesar is bold, garlicky with recognizable bite from mustard, Worcestershire and the saltiness of the tiny fish. This Caesar was barely a vinaigrette with a Parmesan dusting. Too bad.

On to the main course. My "Penne Lobster" was delectable. The pasta was fresh made and chewy. The cream sauce was rich and flavorful. There was enough lobster but not a "look how much lobster there is!" level. Just enough to have a well balanced dish. I did not try the missus' fish but she said it was the best preparation she'd had all week. I wish I could give four and a half stars as that is what it deserves. But for the anemic Caesar, it would have rated five.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,476)

Reviewed May 6, 2014

We wanted a pizza fix and remembering from 2012 we didn't like the atmosphere but liked the food... We sat at the bar and ordered gin Martini's (which were very good) and ordered a large pizza, thinking we were getting a "large" pizza with mushroom and sausage to take back to the hotel for dinner on the patio. Why didn't the bartender remind/tell us they are individual sized pizzas...when we ordered a large seeing we weren't islanders and how would we know...Anyways, once the pizza came in its small box, we ordered a Caesar salad also. The pizza was good and fresh with a thin crust.
Good food but we won't be back. Great for families but not a romantic or special setting and the service was lackluster.

Thank elf.dml
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Our host George Davidson recommended this place for pizza. He was spot on. This place had an excellent pizza. We got the margarita. It is also thin crust which I love. My boyfriend ordered the mussels appetizer and said it was really good. We also ordered tiramisu and their chocolate moose cake. Both were excellent. This place also had nice white wine glasses. Loved the glass ware here. We will def be back. The service is a little slow but being from NY we have to remember that no one is a rush around here and you do have time to relax.

Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

Amazing food and service. Love the fact that you can spilt any two dishes. For example, we split two pastas (lasagna and lobster pasta) and then a pizza. Might just be the best pizza I have ever had!

Reviewed April 28, 2014

In a small strip mall across from our hotel ( Grand Cayman Beach Suites) this small restaurant is a gem. Appetizers such as Smoked Duck Salad and Lobster spring rolls, grilled jumbo shrimp and veal scaloppine and homemade gelato for dessert had us coming back for a second visit.