“Convenient but Pricy”

Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Ok you expect to pay more on vacation but this island has too much competition along 7 Mile Beach to accept this mediocrity. Food was average fare and really expensive when comparing. It is easy to walk up the beach and access the restaurant but it is not a quite ambiance as it is located by the pool that has a lot of little kids.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

We stayed at the Grand Cayman Beach Suites and took advantage of this on-site restaurant for our final vacation dinner. My overall assessment is this is a nice location, nice atmosphere, but the food was hit and miss - especially considering tough local competition and the prices for this "foodie" vacation destination.

PROS
Great on beach location and atmosphere.
Nice band on Saturday night.
Desserts were excellent (fruit parfait, sticky toffee pudding, frozen key lime pie).
Attentive service, though our cocktail waitress had more personality than the waiter.

CONS / MEH - just one big one really
Entrees and appetizers "meh" for the prices.
My daughter's red snapper was tasty, pico de gallo sauce was nothing special
Spice wimps beware. The ceviche trio was tasty to me but too spicy for my wife and kids (in a creamy lime marinade), my wife's crabcake was good but also sat on a spicy sauce. It may be the chef's tastes, but overly spicy seafood just defeats the point of subtle seafood flavors (note I don't like blackened for that reason).
My other daughter and I had seafood stews. Me in a curry sauce that was nothing special, and she in a tomato based sauce that should have been more refined like a broth vs. thick like spaghetti sauce (in my opinion). It seems all the stews have similar seafood ingredients and they just toss them into different sauces vs. creating subtle different broths. So a little lazy in the kitchen really unless I am totally wrong about how they cooked the dishes. Perhaps I just chose the wrong entrees also and should have stuck to the fresh catch - but then can't you get that at any island destination?

So in the end, really really awesome desserts but the entrees and appetizers need a rethinking to stand out, given the competition and the prices. With a little work could probably rate 4 out of 5 but a long way from a full 5 stars.

1  Thank daddy00
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Called in for lunch on Friday in very pleasant surroundings. Ambience is nice. Meals are relatively priced and the Philly Steak panini was nice. My guests had fish and chips and lamb curry which were good sized portions. Excellent service.

Would recommend to others.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

We ate dinner there on Saturday evening when there was live jazz. Ate outside which was very nice. Service very good and everyone was happy with their meal. Lunch was very good and the service was great.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

There are so many great restaurants in Grand Cayman. Hemingway's was one of my favorite meals. The seafood was amazing - very fresh. You can have it prepared any way you like, and topped with a variety of sauces. I did the blackened snapper (spicy) topped with tamarind chutney (sweet) for a fantastic taste experience. Don't miss this place if you love seafood! THe service was impeccable. (And our bill with wine, one shared appetizer, and dessert each came to about $140 USD.)