“Losing its luster ?”
Review of Hemingway's

Hemingway's
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
“Losing its luster ?”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We just spent a week in Grand Cayman and ate at several of our favourite dining spots on the Island. This was our 19th Trip to the GCM and we know it quite well ... well enough that the staff at restaurants know us by name .... We have eaten at Hemingways many times over the years but this visit was quite disappointing ...food was average and service was simply unfriendly ... it is expensive and you should expect top service ... the Key Lime pie was $10 CI so over $14 US with tip and it was two small bites worth ... hmmmm ?... So if you are planning on eating on Seven Mile Beach and want the ocean front experience may I suggest places like Casanova's (see my review for that excellent dinning experience) or Guy Harvey's place downtown ...or even Camana Bay for a wonderful alfresco experience ... more reviews to come :)

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank DJay_27

Toronto, Canada
“Terrific family restaurant”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We take my family (6 adults, 4 children under 10) every year on the first day of our week long Cayman family vacation. The restaurant supplies kids menus with crayons for coloring to keep them occupied while the food, which is excellent, is prepared. The wine list is short but contains some excellent wines at reasonable prices and has improved a lot in the last couple of years. My wife and I went back as a couple after the kids left and had another excellent dinner. Highly recommended.

• Visited March 2013
Grand Cayman
“Very, very disappointed with beach bar at Grand Cayman Beach Suites”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I have been to eat here many times, at Hemingway's restaurant and at the beach bar. We took some visiting friends to eat lunch at the beach bar today and were very, very disappointed. The waitress was so incredibly rude to the five year old that she was in tears - and we had only just arrived. If we didn't have guests with us, we would have left that instant but we ended up staying to have a lunch which was not amazing. The man who was serving us was absolutely fine I have to say but I will never go back there again and I will tell all of my local friends to avoid this place like the plague in the future. Particularly as we brought this issue to the attention of the management and they chose to ignore the issue. Not impressed at all.

2 Thank janjanvanman059
BeachSuitesGM, General Manager at Hemingway's, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear JanJan...

There are times when it is hard to respond to customer reviews because they are emotionally charged and it is my desire not to inflame a situation anymore. However in this case I believe that a response is necessary to address the incident that you describe in your post. After investigating the complaint with the staff working that day and two hotel guests, the story as I have heard it is completely different to your account. As I understand it, you and your guests were sitting at one table and your children were sitting at another. As the server in question walked by the children’s table she noticed that the 5-year old girl was sitting on the table - not in a chair. The server asked the young girl to get off the table. The child burst into tears and ran to tell you what had happened and you requested to speak to a manager. When he came out to discuss the event you told him the server talked rudely to your child and that she deserved an apology. He in turn spoke to the server who explained that she only told the misbehaving children that they could not climb on the restaurant table. Two guests from separate tables approached the manager and confirmed that the situation was handled cordially and the server asked politely for the girl to get down. They clearly stated the children were not being appropriately supervised and they were disturbing their meal. After you had finished your meal you again approached the manager for an apology and was told that it would not be forthcoming and the server would not be disciplined for her actions. You confirmed that you did not hear what the server said to the children and agreed the child had been sitting on the table. You also agreed that you had only heard the 5 year-old’s version of the story. At this point I have to agree with decision of my manager. It is clear that the children were left on their own in a public restaurant without adult supervision. It is unfortunate that you think it is appropriate that a shoeless child should be allowed to climb onto a restaurant table in which our guests eat on. I believe that these actions are not the fault of the children but of the adults and their lack of parenting skills and consideration for other people.

Bill Powers
Shreveport, Louisiana
“Too Busy?”
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

This place claims to be constantly busy and wouldn't accept my reservations at first. I had to call the front desk and ask them to try to make a reservation for me. They sat us at the bar for brunch. Kinda funny that hardly any tables were used yet they were too over booked to sit us at a table. Overpriced drinks and food. No wonder why this place has gone down hill over the past two years. The food was average. Bring some pepper. There was a shortage today apparently.

1 Thank jasenbragg
BeachSuitesGM, General Manager at Hemingway's, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Jason
Throughout the week you were staying, we had many email exchanges regarding this topic and I had hoped you would have altered this review. I would like to quote some passages that you wrote to me in regards to this post and hopefully it will provide some clarification.

email received 3/6/2013 in which you wrote

" I personally walked down to Hemingway's around 10am on Sunday and asked about reservations for four at 1130 or 12 noon. The lady stated they were booked. I walked up to my room and called down to see what they said and someone stated they could try to seat me up at a bar to eat."

further down in the email you state

" I called back 30 minutes before the sitting at Hemingways to cancel the reservations."

I have questioned the manager and he did confirm that you did make the reservation and then cancelled it. We have no record of your party attending the brunch. My concern is that your post indicates that you sat at the bar and you did eat. At the same time you also reviewed another restaurant (Agua) on a brunch that you attended the same day. This does not make sense.

I have contacted TripAdvisor to point out that the review is erroneous and offered to provide proof that you didn't attend the brunch and to-date no response has been received. I find it unfathomable that a site that exists solely to for guests to post reviews would not want to protect their reputation.

In a separate post on the hotel you indicated that you ‘stayed’ (past tense) at the resort when in fact you were still on property. This causes me to further question the reliability of both posts as they are filled with misinformation and errors. I regret having to post this as do not want to create ill will between the hotel and guest but i take the hotels reputation and social media very seriously.

regards
Bill Powers
Independence, Iowa
“Excellent fine dinng”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We enjoyed a relaxing wonderful meal! I do have to say this was our most expensive meal we had on our 6 night visit.

• Visited February 2013