“Beach bar with cold drinks and great french fries”

Calico Jack's Bar & Grill
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast
Fairfax, Virginia
“Beach bar with cold drinks and great french fries”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

As others have said, it's a beach bar. The drinks are cold, which we appreciated the day we were in town via cruise ship. The ladies tending bar where very friendly and great service even with all of us crowding the bar. The beach is beautiful and you can pick up a cab back to the port with no problem from here. Would have been a great place for evenings with lots of festivities so if I come back that way, I will stop by!

• Visited January 2014

Plano, TX
“Beautiful beach!”
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

The beach was gorgeous! It was nice to be near Calico Jack's for food and bathrooms. There were no peddlers, which we loved, and not crowded at all. The only complaint were the chairs, they were pretty broken down and uncomfortable.

New York City, New York
“Best bar, best sunset, good vibes”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

I love this place, I came here 4 years ago and fell in love with it, and on a recent trip with my wife it is even better. They are in a beachfront spot, with the best sunsets, friendly bartenders, super chill atmosphere, and cool music. This is a local spot which is beautiful. The sunsets are by far, amazing. We were staying on 7 mile beach, but the sunset in the location Calico's is at, is even better. We ordered bar food which was tasty, and the drinks were great. Support the local beer Whitetip and Caybrew, they are great beers! At night it starts to fill up and the atmosphere gets even better, the bartender mentioned on the weekends they have night events where they bring a DJ, so def a good spot to check out, highly recommend!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank KevNYC N
Boston, Massachusetts
“Beach was Gorgeous...”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

None in our party had prepaid for an excursion through the cruise ship because based on internet research, it was clear Grand Cayman is a fairly safe island and anywhere along 7 mile beach is perfect swimming. With that in mind, we just got off the tender boat and asked the first taxi driver we saw to bring us to a public beach and this is where we ended up.

While we did not have to pay to enter the beach/bar, we did have to pay an independent chair rental guy for a couple chairs and umbrellas which both had seen better days. The same local chair guy(s) were also offering banana boat rides which we did not partake in. They were both very nice and seemed to rejoice in offering their own children rides since we were seriously the only cruise passengers on the beach. I believe we were the only ship in port the day we visited Calico Jacks so the other people there were either locals or hotel guests walking the beach.

The beach itself was absolutely one of the nicest and clearest we've ever seen and we enjoyed swimming for several hours. While we did order a bucket of beers, we didn't eat but as I mentioned there really wasn't much activity going on and I can't really compare my experience to any of the other rave reviews (ie. no party atmosphere at all). In the photos I have of my children in the ocean, there are 4 other people swimming and no one eating in the restaurant. If you go off season and like the beach to yourself, this is the place to be. There are facilities on site but they are exactly what you would expect in a beach bar type of place (ie. not the Ritz Marble toilets).

I'm basing my review primarily on the gorgeous beach and service at the bar (even though we didn't really order food). The people operating Calico Jacks the day we were there had that Caymanian Kindness people talk about so we would visit again.

We loved Grand Cayman so much that we are going back this year and I think we’ll bring a shoe to staple to the tree out front of Calico Jack’s when we re-visit.

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank clamchowda
Keswick, Canada
“Nice Location, but Pricey Booze”
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

The place has plenty of seating available with a small gift shop, change rooms, rest rooms, and showers. Unfortunately, when I visited, the water was very rough and unsafe for children to swim alone. The waves coming into the beach were over my head and could easily knock over an adult. The food prices were reasonable, but alcohol was way overpriced. Menu prices were in Cayman Island Dollars with a US exchange rate of $1.25. So a mixed drink was $12.50 US. A bucket of 5 beers was $25US. Maybe prices are higher in the Cayman Islands, but everywhere else in the Caribbean I've been had much cheaper booze. We ordered Jerk chicken and chicken tenders. We enjoyed it, but nothing too special. Lots of taxis around when we had too leave.

1 Thank mikekris