“RIPPED OFF and slow to respond”

Diamonds International
Ranked #5 of 19 Shopping in George Town
McKinney, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“RIPPED OFF and slow to respond”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We visited the Grand Cayman location while on a Disney cruise in February 2013. My husband decided after sitting through the shopper talk on-board that we could upgrade my engagement stone for our 20th year. We had our VIP cards from the ship shopping expert and was assured she would help us get the best deal possible on our purchase.

The stones we were offered all were very expensive, $5000-7000 for less than .75 carat. We finally told them a lower price we were more comfortable with and they brought us a pendant with what seemed like a beautiful 'Crown of Light' diamond. The appraisal was given and work order placed to take my engagement stone out and swap it with the "Crown of Light" into the ring. Throughout the remainder of cruise I kept seeing something on the stone, but thought it was the bar soap from bathrooms onboard.

Once we were home, I took the jewelry to a local GIA certified person to have it appraised for inclusion on insurance and to verify our purchase. BOY did I get a surprise...
The stone does have a rather large visible inclusion just under the table, NOT what we asked for or agreed to purchase. Also the color is an H-I instead of F-G we were told in the store. The only thing agreed upon was the carat weight of the stone. The local appraisal came in for less than the price we paid, this included the gold in my original engagement ring.

I immediately began contact with DI regarding the discrepancies. They must all operate on 'island time!' It took 2 days for a representative to even call me once I submitted my name and complaint. It took her another 2 days to call verifying she received my documentation, sent day requested, and then she said expect a call later that day once she spoke to management. It took 5 more business days to hear from them and that was because I sent an email. Partial refund was offered even though I stated from the beginning I expected to return merchandise and get a refunded because NO ONE chooses to buy an obviously flawed diamond. I don't think we could see it in store because of the lighting :((!! It's been another whole week and I called them again, same statements and no resolve. We have also filed the dispute with our credit card company and filed a claim with the on board 'shopping guarantee' company suggested by Disney.

PLEASE don't buy from Diamonds International!! It's NOT worth the risk, trouble, and 'savings' from tax and duty. Their merchandise is VERY OVER PRICED and shady. I wish we had considered doing the upgrade before we left and researched this company. I can't believe the cruise lines continue to suggest this business to their passengers as I see many negative reviews!!! How very sad for consumers :(

Visited February 2013
14 Thank SM1996

Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“One Bad thing after another”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Purchased a Beautiful ring to replace my 25 yr old wedding ring 3500.00. Loved my experience there and Love my ring however... Returned to the states only to find my center princess cut diamond is fractured, long story short, sent to D I New York to have looked at and resize only because I couldn't find a jeweler here in Houston that would touch it! DI said they could find no fracture, sized for $50.00 and said I could do an upgrade if wanted to! Two months later I lost a smaller stone and again because of the condition of the main diamond it took me forever to find somebody to replace the smaller diamond for me and I should mention he had to tighten 4 prongs, if not i would have lost more diamonds! Not sure I will ever shop DI again however...I Love my Beautiful Ring! I'm Thankful I finally found a jeweler that wasn't afraid to work with a fractured stone for fear it would crumble when work was being done. I will have it checked often by him so that I can continue to wear and enjoy my ring. It is what it is, my husband bought it for me because he loves me, we now know to shop a reputable source in the good ole USA!

Visited March 2012
4 Thank ll59harper
Dallas, Texas, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Rip Off”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

The whole company is a rip-off. Two rings were purchased from this retailer and both of them were fakes. It is incredibly difficult to get your money back and when you check them out with the BBB you would not believe the number of complaints about this company. American Express has been absolutely no help so I will NEVER use this card again. Whatever you do, do NOT go inside a Diamonds International establishment!!

Visited September 2012
11 Thank MM1514
Pinehurst, Texas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A Diamond in a Gem!”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Of all the beautiful places in the Caribbean, for the shoppers none quite compare with Grand Cayman! It is truly a gem. Snuggled in the midst of this awesome shoppers mecca are several Diamond International shops with various specialties. Each are staffed with the friendliest, most knowledgeable jewelry personnel we have ever met. Their diamonds are simply the best. My wonderful husband stole my heart again with my new Crown of Light. With 90 facets of light, this cut is truly unbelievable. If you want to find the true diamond in a gem, here it is!

Visited June 2012
4 Thank Kathy P
Kirsten R, Marketing at Diamonds International, responded to this review, January 20, 2016
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our store! We greatly appreciate all feedback and are delighted you had such an enjoyable and positive experience. We hope you had a wonderful vacation and look forward to seeing you back in Grand Cayman soon!

Kirsten
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Excellent customer service.”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

My wife and I were on vacation in the Cayman Islands, when we decided to walk into a store to see what they had. To our surprise they had an item (watch) I have had my eye on for years. The prices were reasonable, so we inquired. This was the start to a wonderful experience with Diamonds International. They are courteous and professional. They treated us very well and made the buying experience amazing. Thank you!

Visited November 2012