“Wow! Truly exceptional! A piece of heaven for stamp collectors!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Penny Black

The Penny Black
Ranked #6 of 18 Shopping in George Town
More attraction details
Owner description: Best stamp shop in Cayman Islands! Excellent for souvenirs and gifts. Great for collectors and stamp enthusiasts. Pop in and say 'Hi'... we'd love to see you.(up on the 2nd floor... look for 'The Penny Black' signs!)
Johnston, Rhode Island
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wow! Truly exceptional! A piece of heaven for stamp collectors!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

If I could give more than the five stars I just gave the Penny Black, I would! I have been a stamp collector for three-fourths of my life, and let me tell you that -- Wow! -- I have never, ever been to a place as fascinating and remarkable as the Penny Black! It can be easy to miss this tiny shop, which is on the second floor of a plaza in the middle of downtown Georgetown. But once you find it and step inside, all you can say is "Wow!" This shop features wall-to-wall stamps, every country, every theme, and a wraparound glass case with more stamps in the middle of the store. It's very overwhelming, but if you are a stamp collector like me, it's a piece of heaven. And if you are like me the first time I stepped into this shop, you will surely need 5-10 minutes to acclimate yourself because you will be in awe. I went there twice with my wife during a week-long vacation to Grand Cayman for a half marathon there. I bought some stamps from the Cayman Islands and Cuba because my collection is lacking stamps in both countries. The lady who works there was very nice, helpful, and knowledgeable and took the time to help me out. I also briefly saw the owner the first day I was there and he is also a nice guy! The prices are very reasonable, and if you like stamps as much as I do, you could literally spend hours in there. I have nothing but high praise for this place, the highest I could give, and anyone who has any kind of interest in stamp collecting that visits the Cayman Islands NEEDS to visit this place. You WILL be impressed!!!

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Eric B

Bodden Town, Grand Cayman
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fascinating and unique”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

Even if you aren't a stamp collector, this place might just change your mind. The stamps are a real art form - and there are thousands of them in this tiny owner-operated shop. They are grouped by theme, by country, by dates - some are very beautiful. The prices are reasonable and I stayed for hours looking through the seemingly endless collections. I bought a selection of beautiful bird and wildlife stamps, even though I'd never collected stamps before. There is something historic and authentic about this shop that isn't easily found. They also sell lovely photo frames covered in Cayman stamps and other creative crafts that make unique gifts. - I truly am not "related" to these people! This rave review comes straight from the heart. I had so much fun int there! Well worth a visit if you find yourself shopping in downtown George Town.

Visited February 2012