“Made for divers & UW photographers .”

Cathy Church's Photo Centre
More attraction details
Owner description: Cathy Church's Photo Centre located at Sunset House hotel has the largest selection of duty-free cameras at the lowest prices in the Caribbean. Whether you need the latest DSLR camera or lens, a waterproof camera to take to the beach, a spare battery or charger, a t-shirt and sunhat or even just a candy bar and a cold water, their friendly and knowledgeable staff will be happy to assist you. They have been the photo experts in the Cayman Islands since 1972. Be sure to check out Cathy's world famous Underwater Photo Gallery for a truly unique and special gift. A short walk or taxi drive from the cruise ship terminal or 7 Mile Beach, this store can serve all of your needs for land and underwater cameras. Take a private underwater photography lesson including a dive with Cathy Church or her fabulous staff or charter Cathy and her boat for the ultimate experience.
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Cathy Church is a great underwater photographer, and to take a class with the greatest is an honor. I enjoyed my personal session and learned so much from her , it was a fabulous experience.This old dog learned some new tips and techniques to improve my underwater skills. I wish I had done this with her years ago. If you love UW photography and are a dive, this is the place to go. There staff is great and she knows how to explain and work with all types of cameras.
Thanks Cathy for a great day!

Reviewed December 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Sunset House in October and used Cathy's Photo Centre for
our photo needs, We bought a water proof small camera for my wife to snorkel with
and I bought some up grades for my Ikelite system. Tee was the person we used and he was great, he took as much time as we needed and did not sell us the most expensive camera system. I took three one-hour classes and they really helped me to improve and take great under water pictures. All of the classes are for a hour. The instructor must keep a eye on the time because they may have another student coming in. They also sell photo items that may help you to take better pictures. These items cost money. They are in business to help people and to make a living. I also signed up for Photo Fest in May. I cannot think of a better week in my life than being in Grand Cayman diving taking thousands of pictures and having them reviewed by professionals and learning new ways to make my pictures better. This is the best place any where to buy a camera system, have pros edit your pictures and just talk about cameras and overall diving. The person in the office that handles Photo Fest is Jen. She is extremely professional and keeps you updated on all information pertaining to Photo Fest. She is also extremely knowledgable in photography and all the workings of the photo centre. My dealings with her have been great. I live in New Jersey and have access to most of the large photo stores in New York City and Cathy Church's Photo Centre is very close in price to these large stores, even with the difference in the Cayman dollar and the U.S. dollar. They will also help you and explain to you how the camera or other photo item you purchased works. Stores online or in large cities just are interested in selling not in helping customers. Overall I would highly recommend using this outlet for all your photo needs either being home by your computer or in Cayman.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

It was obvious from walking in that the employees are not treated well and pushed to sell, sell, sell. The instructor was good and made great suggestions, very nice. Also watched the clock like a hawk and made sure to extend the lesson as long as possible and charge for every minute. Then tried to sell me about $1000 worth of gear (despite my already bringing a complete rig with me). He was then berated by another salesman for "giving" a group a free picture that included some people who didn't buy the package. He was told that picture should be excluded from the package they bought - ridiculous.
Cathy's in good with Olympus and pushes their and pretty much only their stuff, and hard. I suspect there's some sort of kick-back deal as is typical with most of the pros and businesses. Any and everyone who came was told to buy the same package regardless of skill or need. I prefer an honest recommendation as well as a shop that treats their employees well. No thank you.

1  Thank Thomas F
Cathy Church's P, Manager at Cathy Church's Photo Centre, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

Dear Thomas,
We are extremely sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your class. We do our best to stay within your time constraints and give you one on one attention that meets your needs and budget. We do not work on commission in any way, and we only sell what we use and like. It was certainly not our intention to push you into something you didn't need or want, but we are enthusiastic about the products we sell if they can help you get better pictures. Again, we apologize for your experience. Cathy and her staff of talented instructors have been teaching here since the 70's, and we have helped 1000's of people take better underwater photographs. We do our best to make sure that every student gets the most out of their particular system and their time with us. We hope that when you return to Cayman you will give us another try.
Kind regards,
Jenn and the Cathy Church Team

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Went in on a Tuesday morning to check out some underwater point and shoots and received awful customer service. Nothing downright rude, but I was quite sure the sales associate wanted to be done with me as quickly as possible. I felt rushed and pressured to hurry up and make a purchase, almost felt like I was being talked to by a used car salesman (except she was female)! I left purchasing nothing. It is a shame there aren't happier sales associates on the island. Seems like it would be a great place to work!

1  Thank AnnG879
Cathy Church's P, Manager at Cathy Church's Photo Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Hi Ann, I'm so sorry to hear about your bad experience at our store. We strive to provide the best possible customer service every day. We obviously fell short of our goals on your visit. If you would be so kind as to give us another chance, we would love to prove ourselves to you! Please ask for me, Jenn or the owners Cathy and Herb so we can personally apologize and assist you with your camera needs. We hope to see you again very soon. Kind regards, Jenn

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stopped in to get some add-ons for our camera. They had a wide selection and had prices comparable to the states (w/o sales tax) we bought a few items and rented a light. They were very helpful, informative, and friendly taking all the time we need to explain how to get the best photos while diving. Since we were staying on the East End I was worried about having to pay charges for days we wouldn't be using them and they said they would only charge us for the days we dove and would let us take the charger home with us. When we came to drop it off there were no issues and again - VERY friendly. Our photos turned out much better after picking up these items.

They also have a large selection of above water photography gear and a lot of underwater photos they have taken available for purchase. A great camera store!