“Beware of Duty Free Prices Inside Security”

Ranked #19 of 64 things to do in George Town
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My wife and I had done some shopping downtown for souvenirs. We stopped by an open store to buy some local rum before re-boarding a cruise ship. A 750ml bottle of Tortuga Rum was labled $10 US for a light rum, and $11 US for a dark rum. I think a bottle of spiced rum was $14 US. When I asked to check out, I was told that they could not sell liquor an hour before the cruise ships left. I was curious, but asked who could sell liquor. When the clerk told me that I could only buy inside the duty-free shops inside security, I figured I would be paying a higher price. When I checked out Tortuga Duty Free Liquor next to Sugars, I was blown away. The exact same rum products I was looking at less than a block away were $35, $40, and $42, or 400% higher! I looked at the prices of other liquors I am familiar with, and found that they were also unreasonably high. Tortuga Rum lost a sale to me, and my wife mentioned that many people were leaving the store empty-handed. I thought I might buy a single local beer for $2.50 instead, but while waiting in line I decided I did not want to give my business to someone who so coldly and calculatingly seeks to extract the maximum price from their tourists. I put the beer back in the cooler and consoled myself that travelers have ways to share information now to alert each-other to situations like these.
Caveat emptor!

in 7 reviews
"fish"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed January 5, 2013

A lot of stores to choose from if a shopper! Great Tanzanite jewelry and good places to have lunch and a drink!

3  Thank Sunflw5
Reviewed January 3, 2013

The downtown port area of Georgetown is interesting historically speaking but avoid the area when the cruise ships are in! Traffic is bumper-to-bumper, parking is at a premium and there are people jay-walking everywhere! Most of the shops in the immediate vicinity cater to the cruise ship tourists. Lots of over-priced souvenirs. Many high-end jewellery shops that the average person could not afford.

7  Thank SherylJS
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We've cruised to a few ports in the Caribbean, and the Georgetown port at Grand Cayman is definitely the nicest port we've been to. There are a good selection of shops, and prices are about what you'd expect to pay in a tourist port. Unlike other ports, in Georgetown we were not accosted by people trying to sell us trinkets or services. Overall, the port was nice and easy to get through quickly without any hassles.

2  Thank radx4