“OK for the price”

Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 George Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 14, 2012

i chose Eldemire's mainly because it was the cheapest option I could find on the internet. Which doesn't say very much, since hotel prices in Grand Cayman are in general ridiculously high. I paid 90 USD per night, which was quite a bit lower than even the least expensive of the more traditional hotels or resorts wanted. As someone else pointed out, you are generally left alone once you have checked in. No one cleans the room, and although I often find the daily cleaning ritual of many hotels more of a bother than a help, 6 days without any sort of service, like having the garbage taken out, was a bit too much. The guests can use a large and well-equipped kitchen, which would probably be great for a family with children. I just made sandwiches and kept my drinks cold in the fridge. I traveled with a folding bike, and it took me just a few minutes to ride into George Town and less than 10 minutes to the Seven Mile Beach.. By foot it would probably take you 20-25 minutes to the center of town, and the closest supermarket is even further away. So I think staying here without a rental car (or bicycle) would probably not be convenient. But let me add that I was happy here. The room was small, but the air condition worked well and there was always hot water when I needed it. And the wifi internet is excellent. You need a password, but once you have entered that you're good until the day you leave. There is a very small pool with a couple of beach chairs. Nice enough.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Ketilito

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Had a great 2 night stay at Eldemire's. Stayed here a couple of days before moving to Seven Mile Beach for a conference and this place was exactly what I was looking for.
Do not expect warm and cozy treatment, the only person I dealt with was pleasant enough, but I only saw her once at check-in and that was OK.
I got one of the apartments, the one in front of the pool, to myself and it was perfect... Wish I had brought my family! Perfectly clean, AC worked great, Clean bathroom, great kitchen, nice furniture and fun decor!
I second the comments about the roosters... but hey,,, if you can't handle a rooster then you really should stay home and live in a bubble.
I am glad I rented a car as this is an integral part of enjoying Cayman, even if you are staying at one of the resorts. Being such an expensive place, it pays to be able to go to a grocery store or to seek out inexpensive local eats.The car pays for itself very quickly.
Will be coming back without a doubt! Great value!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank ranger22SG
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My sister, her 10 year old daughter and I had an absolutely marvelous vacation last month in Grand Cayman. We introduced little Lexa to the undersea world- snorkeled at Smith Cove (it was magical), swam with the Dolphins at Dolphin Cove, fed the Stingrays, watched sunset on the beach, and just had a fabulous, relaxing time. Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn is the perfect setting for those who want a local, cozy, quaint abode, and definitely not the Ritz Carlton prices. Tootie and Bob were wonderful hosts, and they make you feel right at home. We had a suite complete with a kitchen, so we could save money and prepare most of our meals. I would recommend walking 10 minutes to Smith Cove for snorkeling, and walking to Sunset House for lunch or dinner, especially at sunset. Eldemire's is for travelers on a budget who enjoy local ambiance. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jennybutler
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Pretty basic- a converted home, but nice for the price. It's on a side street, which made it very quiet and like you're one of the locals, as opposed to a hotel or timeshare on the beach. It's only a nice short distance to town and the beach. We took our time and walked one day, a liesurely 20 minutes. We rented bikes for 2 days which is a great way to go- highly recommend it for an island this size. Proprietors not around much, which is o.k. Feels like you have the place to yourself. Kitchen, sitting room, outdoor pool- great place for several days if you like it peaceful. I would definitely go back again. In town we enjoyed the sunset cruise. The "Pirate Ship" cruise looked funner but was so packed I don't know how anyone could move around compared to the "ferry type" craft. Beware of Margaritaville- not worth it. Nice location and view, but the prices are in British Pounds!!! Not US dollars or Cayman dollars, like every other establishment. Burger and margarita for 2 people showed up as $93.00US on my credit card. Ouch!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank revreggae
Reviewed January 1, 2012

We had a day and a night to spend in Grand Cayman en route from Honduras to Jamaica. Grand Cayman is expensive and full of ghastly all-inclusives. Eldemires is so different from all that, intimate and friendly. It is a few minutes walk from the sea and 5 minutes from Sunset House, an excellent seaside bar and resultant.

Tootie the owner is really friendly and helpful and is part of the charm of the place. Our $146 room was well priced by Caymanian standards, was of a good size and immaculately clean

Eldemires sets a very high standard

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank nholman
Reviewed April 29, 2011

We stayed here April 15th-22nd in unit 1 which is called the large studio suite, which had a living room, kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. The bed was comfortable, and the place was clean, no bugs (as one other review stated) and the roosters are everywhere in Cayman..so if you are a light sleeper, bring earplugs. The air conditioner was more than effective, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. There was a bbq on the patio and the pool was nice but great for a cool off. If you are a diver you don't want to be in a pool probably for any other reason than to cool off, as the ocean is where it's at. The only thing is it is a bit out of town, and taxis are pretty expensive on Cayman, you are best to rent a car (pretty cheap if you have insurance through your credit card). Had a wonderful time here!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mckenk4
Reviewed March 3, 2011

We had a LOVELY stay at Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn. It has local Caymanian charm, located off the beaten path, a ten- minute walk from Smith Cove, my favorite snorkeling and sunning site. I would recommend it to anyone who wants local flavor. The people who criticized Eldemire's probably are looking for expensive, fancy-dancy Ritz Carlton amenities. Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn is small and quaint, not huge and expensive. There is personal service by Tootie and Bob, not a huge staff of workers. I would recommend walking a few blocks to Sunset House for diving, lunch, dinner and Cathy Church's Underwater Photography Studio. I'd also recommend walking 10 minutes to Smith Cove for snorkeling and sunning. We had a fabulous time, and will return during the winter months to enjoy the warmth and quaintness of Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Shangri-La Boutique Bed & Breakfast
Grand Caymanian Vacations
Grand Caymanian Vacations
#17 of 18 in Grand Cayman

Been to Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn? Share your experiences!