“Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn- Grand Cayman”

Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 George Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My sister, her 10 year old daughter and I had an absolutely marvelous vacation last month in Grand Cayman. We introduced little Lexa to the undersea world- snorkeled at Smith Cove (it was magical), swam with the Dolphins at Dolphin Cove, fed the Stingrays, watched sunset on the beach, and just had a fabulous, relaxing time. Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn is the perfect setting for those who want a local, cozy, quaint abode, and definitely not the Ritz Carlton prices. Tootie and Bob were wonderful hosts, and they make you feel right at home. We had a suite complete with a kitchen, so we could save money and prepare most of our meals. I would recommend walking 10 minutes to Smith Cove for snorkeling, and walking to Sunset House for lunch or dinner, especially at sunset. Eldemire's is for travelers on a budget who enjoy local ambiance. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jennybutler

Reviewed January 9, 2012

Pretty basic- a converted home, but nice for the price. It's on a side street, which made it very quiet and like you're one of the locals, as opposed to a hotel or timeshare on the beach. It's only a nice short distance to town and the beach. We took our time and walked one day, a liesurely 20 minutes. We rented bikes for 2 days which is a great way to go- highly recommend it for an island this size. Proprietors not around much, which is o.k. Feels like you have the place to yourself. Kitchen, sitting room, outdoor pool- great place for several days if you like it peaceful. I would definitely go back again. In town we enjoyed the sunset cruise. The "Pirate Ship" cruise looked funner but was so packed I don't know how anyone could move around compared to the "ferry type" craft. Beware of Margaritaville- not worth it. Nice location and view, but the prices are in British Pounds!!! Not US dollars or Cayman dollars, like every other establishment. Burger and margarita for 2 people showed up as $93.00US on my credit card. Ouch!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank revreggae
Reviewed January 1, 2012

We had a day and a night to spend in Grand Cayman en route from Honduras to Jamaica. Grand Cayman is expensive and full of ghastly all-inclusives. Eldemires is so different from all that, intimate and friendly. It is a few minutes walk from the sea and 5 minutes from Sunset House, an excellent seaside bar and resultant.

Tootie the owner is really friendly and helpful and is part of the charm of the place. Our $146 room was well priced by Caymanian standards, was of a good size and immaculately clean

Eldemires sets a very high standard

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank nholman
Reviewed April 29, 2011

We stayed here April 15th-22nd in unit 1 which is called the large studio suite, which had a living room, kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. The bed was comfortable, and the place was clean, no bugs (as one other review stated) and the roosters are everywhere in Cayman..so if you are a light sleeper, bring earplugs. The air conditioner was more than effective, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. There was a bbq on the patio and the pool was nice but great for a cool off. If you are a diver you don't want to be in a pool probably for any other reason than to cool off, as the ocean is where it's at. The only thing is it is a bit out of town, and taxis are pretty expensive on Cayman, you are best to rent a car (pretty cheap if you have insurance through your credit card). Had a wonderful time here!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mckenk4
Reviewed March 3, 2011

We had a LOVELY stay at Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn. It has local Caymanian charm, located off the beaten path, a ten- minute walk from Smith Cove, my favorite snorkeling and sunning site. I would recommend it to anyone who wants local flavor. The people who criticized Eldemire's probably are looking for expensive, fancy-dancy Ritz Carlton amenities. Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn is small and quaint, not huge and expensive. There is personal service by Tootie and Bob, not a huge staff of workers. I would recommend walking a few blocks to Sunset House for diving, lunch, dinner and Cathy Church's Underwater Photography Studio. I'd also recommend walking 10 minutes to Smith Cove for snorkeling and sunning. We had a fabulous time, and will return during the winter months to enjoy the warmth and quaintness of Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2011

Our stay was from December 21st through January 5th 2011. We typically shy away from large hotels and like to have our privacy. We had a one bedroom unit with a kitchen and a pull-out sofabed which was great for my wife, myself and our 4 year old twins. The room walked out to a patio with a small swimming pool. Even though the patio and swimming pool are shared by other guests, few actually use it and it feels almost like you own the place, hence the level of privacy with Seven Mile Beach around the corner cannot be beat for the price. On the flipside, obviously for the price you won't have a Ritz-Carlton experience either. The facilities have a tired feel and you do have the occasional ant or small lizzard straying into your room. I also forgot that roosters have the habit to wake you up in the early morning hours. I guess you need to take it in stride and realize that it is all part of the island charm/experience. However, rooms do not get cleaned during your stay and you do not receive fresh towels except for if you ask for it. That said, Tootie and her staff were very accommodating whenever we asked for fresh sheets, towels, paper towels and the like. In sum, great privacy for the price but you do give up some of the comforts/service you might be used to.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank islandreviewer
Reviewed January 9, 2011

This was the lowest priced accommodation I could find on Grand Cayman during the holiday.
The room was fine and basic, and the kitchen was nice to cook our own food. We rented a car and got staples at the grocery store, great local fare for dinner.
However, our hostel-style room cost almost $150/night!
If it were $50/night it would make sense and I would have been fine with what we got.
But... No cleaning of room, bathroom, kitchen for our whole stay. I asked for fresh bath towels midway through our stay and I was told, "we don't usually do that... In fact, I'm surprised you were given towels at all.". There were no paper towels left in the kitchen and the drinking water dispenser was empty. When I asked about those, again... "ooooh... We don't usually supply paper towels.". Huh?
Total rip off. Either they should drop their prices substantially, or clean up and improve their services.
I wasn't looking for luxury or I would have reserved at a nice hotel down the road.
I felt robbed.

Shangri-La Boutique Bed & Breakfast
Grand Caymanian Vacations
Grand Caymanian Vacations
#17 of 18 in Grand Cayman

Been to Eldemire's Tropical Island Inn? Share your experiences!