“Great Diving” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in George Town
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Diving”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2008

We arrived much earlier then planned, not only did they take care of our luggage, checked us in early while we ate lunch but on our final day,they let us stay late into the afternoon. They were more then willing to accommodate our special travel plans and never let us feel as if we were imposing on their generosity. Outside restaurant served very good food and a varied menu. The wreck dives were interesting and turtles were every where. We will be back, thanks.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed September 2008
1 Thank dozerd4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2008

We stayed at the Sunset House before we boarded the Cayman Aggressor and then again after we came back from the Aggressor. They were so hospitable and willing to accommodate our needs. Our room was beautiful and the restaurant on site was extremely good. The bar/restaurant was frequented by many local folks and we were made to feel right at home. The swimming pool had a waterfall that was excellent for a shoulder message after a day of diving.
We walked into town every day, 5 minute walk. The jewelry stores had some great deals, and we wandered around town for hours. I have never felt so safe as I did in George Town, and we even did a night trip to a wonderful restaurant and walked back.
The diving was incredible and the crew were very professional. They asked us what we would like to see, then explained the dive site and its history, this added a lot to the dive. The shore diving from the resort was fun and easy to enter and exit. I would recommend this resort to new divers as well as the more seasoned diver.

• Liked — Everuthing
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank diver01
phoenix az
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2008

Sunset House is set up for divers. Dive lockers are provided to store your gear right by the dive shop. I rented my BC ($10) and regulator ($15 which also came with a dive computer), I thought the prices were reasonable. Tom and Andy were super as dive masters. I appreciated their attention to safety and conservative diving. They would also help you gear up, if you wanted assistance and guided me and my dive partner when others were comfortable exploring with just thier buddy . We had an oceanfront room. I think the view was worth a bit extra. I enjoyed sitting on the balcony any time of day. The rooms face west, so you can take in the sunset from there, as well as from the bar. Housekeepping was fine and our room was always cleaned when we got back from the morning dives. I stayed at Sunset one week after Paloma. Although there wasn't much damage, the pool was empty. It did get re-filled and chemicals adjusted properly, but was quite cool and very few seemed to use it. It is set near the water, so it is a nice place to sit out and read or nap. No extra towels are provided for the pool, and the room towels are rather skimpy, so you might want to take your own, if you plan any pool time. Breakfast was included with our room and there were several choices. Service seemed to come up short, people seated after us got served first and I had to ask for water several times. The food was good, especially the fruit plate! Dinner prices at the Sea Harvest were much better than town and again the food was excellent. I would recommend the Tropical Snapper for $18 CI (about $23 US) or $12 CI ($15 US) at lunch. The grilled Dolphin burger is great for lunch after diving. Town is about a 15 minute walk and provides lots of choices for eating, shopping or just hanging out. Also you can get a "bus" to get about any place for $2.00 CI ($2.50 ). I would also suggest you check out a cute shop called Pure Art, about 6 minute walk just down the road--opposite direction from town. It is a little house with several rooms filled with all kinds of art, crafts, jewelry, and trinkets at reasonable prices.

• Liked — Dive packages
  • Disliked — No room service, no pool towels
  • Stayed November 2008
2 Thank sundevil
Long Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2008

This was my 2nd visit back to Grand Cayman and staying at the Sunset House. The rooms are clean and neat (and hell, you only need a bed and shower when on vacation right?). The Bar and restaurant has probably the most reasonable prices on the island for its services.

The dive operation is good, although the divemasters seemed rather hurried during a dive. Your tanks are 72cf and you are limited to a 45 minute bottom time - and they are sticklers to that. If your looking for long bottom times and pristene reefs you may consider other locations in the Caribbean. Mother nature has done a lot of dammage to the region and you can really see a difference from a couple of years ago.

But hey, always fun to go pat the mermaid on her booty and count the half dozen cruise ships that come in everyday. Sunsets at My Bar are never dissapointing.

• Liked — Great look out facing the setting sun
  • Disliked — For experienced divers, they are very limiting.
  • Stayed January 2008
1 Thank RicoDiver
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2008

We were only in Grand Cayman for a day, because we were on a cruise. However, the kindness of the people of the island was in these times I'd say unheard of. From hailing a passing car, who actually put his car in reverse to point us in the right direction. To the hospitality of the people working the hotel,restaurant, to the dive rental shed. They invited us in as tho we were guests. Allowed us to use the pool, jacuzzi, and roam the grounds. It's a total of 7 (5 kids ages 8-14)) in our family, plus we were with another family of 4 (2 kids 13 & 16), and still they embraced us. We snorkled off the sea wall and saw beautiful fish and stingray. The food we ate was wonderful, and roaming the grounds was an adventure. There motto is " Grand Caymans hotel For divers By divers" It definately is, however they took awful good care of us day trip snorkers, and I can't praise them enough.

1 Thank FloridaMajik
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2008

Our dive group recently spent 7 days at Sunset House and had a really great time. While the hotel is not fancy - it's simple and not stuffy - our garden rooms were fine. After all we were there to dive not to sit in our rooms. The hotel staff from the front desk to the maid who cleaned our rooms were friendly and handled everything with a smile. The dive shop staff is great - especially Tom and Andy who took care of us on most of our boat dives. They were experienced, informative, friendly, and gave excellent dive briefs. On prior reviews I know that divers have complained about the diving parameters at Sunset House as being too rigid but that's how they maintain their good safety track record. The pool was clean and refreshing. The house reef offered a wide variety of sea life from turtles to octopus. The food and drinks at My Bar were good and as a general rule the waitstaff was good. I would highly recommend this hotel and diveshop to everyone.

• Liked — Access to the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2008
2 Thank ShumbaAustin_Texas
Patriots/Red Sox Nation
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2008

The Sunset House was exactly as advertised, for divers. The rooms were nothing to write home about. The beds were comfortable. I traveled alone so it costs more PP, but I would definitely recommend an ocean front room. The courtyard rooms do not have a private balcony, a refrigerator or a chair. I will be sure to book oceanfront in the future. My Bar and the restaurant offered good, moderately priced food. The walk to Georgetown was easy and those who complain about the narrowness of that road have not been to other islands.

The dive team was excellent. The head of the operation can be a bit abrupt and I can see how he made other travellers who have posted reports angry. The rest of the staff were accomodating and very kind. Most of them were not originally from the Caymans.

The Cayman people are far less friendly then any other tropical island I have visited in the world. My Bar attracts a lot of locals and I beleive only one woman spoke to me even though the Bar was part of this hotel. Being alone I was even more grateful for the wonderful fellow divers I met.

The diving was sensational. The dive team would ask for requests regarding dive destinations every morning and would comply if the currents were OK. I had the good fortune of meeting many wonderful guests who made the stay even more special. We were always assigned to the same boat so we got to know one another well, and shared many memorable dives and laughs.

The pool was nice and clean, but if at least one person in your party does not dive again you would not be happy here. It is a diver's paradise.

Having read many reports, the Sunset House was just as I expected. I do plan to return again, as you could not possibly get to all the dive sites in a week.

• Liked — the Scuba Diving. If any of the above are divers I would recommend it, difficult to recommend to non divers.
  • Disliked — my room
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
Kimpton Seafire Resort + Spa
Kimpton Seafire Resort + Spa
#2 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,843 reviews
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#1 of 1 in East End
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,514 reviews

Been to Sunset House? Share your experiences!