“Birthday Dive Surprise”
Review of Sunset House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in George Town
Sunset House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed July 20, 2014

My wife and I love to dive! We got certified late in life so we try to dive mini vacations as much as possible. This was her birthday weekend and needed a fun dive vacation! We had a perfect ocean front view with gorgeous palm trees cascading the beach property right in front of us.
Each morning we got up and had breakfast before we got on the boat. Great service, Great breakfast.
Sunset House has a great pool with a hot tub that my wife took advantage of daily. She has a bad back which she has to take care of. When we dive we have to share that my wife will need assistance getting on and off the boat. Roger our boat Captain and Simon a new dive master with Sunset House gave special attention to help her roll into the water and get back on the boat safely. They went above and beyond to assist to make sure her diving experience was awesome. Simon even helped her put her equipment on the tank which freed me up to handle my gear and do a nitrox check.
The rooms were clean comfortable and very functional for divers. I need to check my email frequently and felt their Internet signal strong with no drops/ or time outs.... that can happen on a lot of island stays at many hotels. Their entire staff was friendly and very service oriented. Jennifer at the front desk who was celebrating her birthday also was cheerful and full of fun. She and Karin helped me not get stuck with a lot of CI bills checking out they gladly exchanged for US to help us out!
My wife fell in love with Murphy the famous property dog who has trained his owners well!
Sunset House! Great Property, Great Diving, Great Sunsets, and most important Great People!
We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Keith S, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2014

Dear Diverdk,

It was fun celebrating your wife's birthday and with "Sunshine" celebrating hers at the same time, made it even more of a party! We really look forward to having you back again! (Remember to get that ground floor room again, so Murphy can come in and give you those birthday kisses! See you soon!! And stay in touch!

Warm regards,

Reviewed July 19, 2014

We have stayed at the Sunset House many times over the past ten plus years. Every visit has been excellent. We just returned (July 17, 2014) and this review will focus on that visit. We chose a courtyard room (the less expensive option). Our room had 2 double beds and lots of extra space for dive gear. The room was clean and fresh and included a small refrigerator. The resort has free wifi that is available in the rooms that are closer to the office - we were in 502 and the wifi worked great.

The main reason for staying at Sunset House is the diving and it was excellent. We were lucky to have flat seas, minimal currents, and good visibility for our visit. Dive staff members were friendly, fun to chat with, helpful with dive gear, and assured that each dive was fun and safe. We were on 4 of their boats over the course of our week and all had good ladders, shaded areas, ice water, orange slices between dives, and working marine heads. One of the things that I think is special about Sunset Divers is that they assign 3-4 staff to each boat. One always stays on the boat while the rest of us are in the water - important for safety. We love the shore dive at Sunset House and dove it 6 times while we were there. Again, entry and exit from the water is easy and safe. Water is changed often in the rinse tanks and there is a separate rinse bucket for cameras. The lockers for dive gear are nice and keep dripping gear out of the room.

The on-site restaurant (SeaHarvest) and bar (My Bar) are also great - see separate reviews.

We are already looking forward to our next trip!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We had a group of 20 divers stay at sunset house this past week. Karin, Keith, and Murphy were the best managers i have ever dealt with. They welcomed us in person when we arrive, they gave us time to settle in and then briefed us on everything we needed to know while we stayed there. Though the restaurants on site were wonderful, they always gave us great ideas of which restaurants off the resort were wonderful. It was great to lock our wallets and money in the safe and be able to charge our food and beverages to the room. Sunset house was extremely safe, and on numerous occasions left my dive gear out all night (not that this is recommended), and it was always waiting for me in the morning. Keith's knowledge of the island and dive sites is amazing, always gave us excellent diving ideas and navigation to get there. I wish i could say they handled complains well, but in 8 days no one in our group had one. The dive sites of the resort are fabulous. The mermaid is a must see, and if you time it right you can be at the mermaid when the submarine comes by! If there is aquatic life you want to see Keith can tell you were it is at. I look forward to visiting again in the future! Thanks again Karin and Keith!

Room Tip: Signature rooms are being added. They are full of diving pictures by famous photographers. I was lu...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank GeoffLorenz

Geoff,
I cannot tell you how much of a pleasure it was to meet you and your wife and the great group of divers from Island Hoppers... What a fun, fun bunch and it was pleasing to us to see you take full advantage of what we have to offer here... I heard from Rob that another group trip is planned for 2015... Hope you are on that again!!!

Tell All Hi for us!!!

Reviewed July 3, 2014

I love eating lunch here by the water! Always a wonderful meal, with great service. The prices are super reasonable too! Unfortunately, there was no breeze today, therefore it was just a bit hot, but still very enjoyable! Definitely a must go!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Another great stay at Sunset house,the best place to stay on the island,you feel like family there with all who work there,always greeted with a smile,rooms clean and safe ,diving incredible.See you all next time!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Thank you all for such a nice week. Sunset House and Sunset Divers do a fantastic job. I love your focus to detail. The food was excellent , rooms nice and clean and the dive operation runs like clockwork. I will be back!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I have been a repeat annual guest of Sunset House since 2001, and will continue to stay there. The rooms are comfortable, the restaurant has excellent food and good variety, particularly if you like Indian cuisine. The bar is great; the staff is super. The boat diving, shore diving, and the service from Sunset Divers cannot be beat. All the divemasters and boat captains are knowledgeable, friendly, helpful, and very professional. I have never had a bad experience with them. Should you want to leave, downtown is only a 10 - 15 minute walk, or a reasonable taxi fare. Sunset House is not fancy, but it is perfect for divers! Cannot recommend highly enough.

Room Tip: Ocean View rooms have the best view; Courtyard rooms are quite nice, too.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
#2 of 2 in East End
The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
#3 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach

Been to Sunset House? Share your experiences!