We have stayed at the Sunset House many times over the past ten plus years. Every visit has been excellent. We just returned (July 17, 2014) and this review will focus on that visit. We chose a courtyard room (the less expensive option). Our room had 2 double beds and lots of extra space for dive gear. The room was clean and fresh and included a small refrigerator. The resort has free wifi that is available in the rooms that are closer to the office - we were in 502 and the wifi worked great.
The main reason for staying at Sunset House is the diving and it was excellent. We were lucky to have flat seas, minimal currents, and good visibility for our visit. Dive staff members were friendly, fun to chat with, helpful with dive gear, and assured that each dive was fun and safe. We were on 4 of their boats over the course of our week and all had good ladders, shaded areas, ice water, orange slices between dives, and working marine heads. One of the things that I think is special about Sunset Divers is that they assign 3-4 staff to each boat. One always stays on the boat while the rest of us are in the water - important for safety. We love the shore dive at Sunset House and dove it 6 times while we were there. Again, entry and exit from the water is easy and safe. Water is changed often in the rinse tanks and there is a separate rinse bucket for cameras. The lockers for dive gear are nice and keep dripping gear out of the room.
The on-site restaurant (SeaHarvest) and bar (My Bar) are also great - see separate reviews.
We are already looking forward to our next trip!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- No Resort Fees!!! Best Value on Island! We have found the beginning of why so many people love Sunset House, Grand Cayman's Hotel for Divers, by Divers. "Stepping out of my room, feeling the sunshine on my face, catching that breath of fragrant tropical breeze, gazing into the alluring blue water..". More profound words were never spoken! This family owned resort is more of a big guest house, than a hotel. Everything you have dreamed for a Caribbean Dive Vacation is here! From palm trees to an amazing house reef; from 5 custom dive boats, to a famous underwater photographer; from amazing Caribbean concoctions, to spicy Indian dishes; they all await you! And combined with warm Caymanian hospitality, you'll wonder why you waited so long to visit this West Indian oasis, or why you haven't come back sooner. Of course, the Caymans and Sunset House are a diver's paradise, with crystal-clear waters awaiting your arrival. Come to Sunset House today and experience now, what others have seen for over the last 50 years. An underwater photographer's perfect dive. Shipwrecks, curious big eels, cuddly stingrays and a legendary mermaid await you just steps from your room! A perfect place for your scuba diving or snorkeling vacation! Packages include Breakfast, transfers from Airport and so much more! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Sunset House Hotel George Town
- Sunset Hotel George Town
- Sunset Resort George Town
- Sunset House Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands