“No Tanks available for outside Divers”
Review of Sunset House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in George Town
Sunset House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in George Town
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“No Tanks available for outside Divers”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I have organized a photo shoot for today.
Even though I was told the reef there was in pretty bad shape by multiple instructors working on the island, we decided to do a quick photo-shoot.
My plan was to shoot a model next to the Mermaid statue, they have on their house reef.
The other attraction I wanted to catch was the submarine which passes by few times a day.

I called the submarine company to confirm their times and location of the passing the day before.

I called Sunset House Dive shop an hour before we arrived to check on conditions.
I was told there was a little current but the diving was great.

When my model and I arrived we were told there were no tanks available.
No Nitrox. No air. Simply NO TANKS for outside customers for at least two hours.

That would already be after the last submarine passed and we also had other plans for the afternoon.
We were told we were not allowed to bring our own tanks either.

I am marking Sunset House with the lowest ratting as I feel that a dive shop not being able to rent dive tanks is terrible.

3 Thank Petpon
Keith S, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Petpon,

I am sorry for your disappointment in not being able to shore dive from our shore on Wednesday. As General Manager here at the resort, it is my due diligence to comment on your accusations and apologise to all our wonderful guests that I can't seem to find the time to respond to all. For our wonderful Guests here at Sunset House, Karin and I (oh, and Murphy) cannot thank you enough for your great reviews!

You start out saying that you "organised" a photo shoot at Sunset House. Yet, you never called to set up tanks or see if tanks were available in advance. We are very busy this week with guests who are on packages here at Sunset House. This will always be fact, we will cater to our own first, outside business second.

While we value everyones business and you would think that having over 400 tanks at our disposal, that we would be able to cover everyone, but when we are full, we cannot accommodate all.

In future, since you called to make sure the Sub would be going out (which was South of us). While you called us to check on conditions, maybe let us know you are organising a photo shoot and reserve tanks for such an important occasion.

These scenarios don't happen often, but can... And rest assured, all our Trip Advisor fans and guests, of who this Trip Advisor page is meant for, we will have tanks, weights, equipment or anything you need for a fantastic dive vacation.

And by the way, Petpon, our reef is in quite remarkable shape! Just ask any of our guests who dive it complimentary throughout their stay! No need to be slanderous in your remarks, because of your lack of attention to detail in organisation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Portsmouth, NH
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Just spent a week at the Sunset House. This was my 4th visit but the first time since Keith Sahm became the manager. Keith, Karin and Murphy :) greet and treat you like family. This was my first visit since the oceanview rooms were renovated and we really liked the upgrades and improvements. Having safes and hair dryers in the rooms is helpful. The bathroom renovations were well done.

The dive staff was very professional and brought us to nice dive sites. They asked for requests and many people on our boat did not like wrecks, so we did not visit any on the morning dives, I did revisit the Kittiwake, which i had Iooked forward to doing so I was good with wrecks.

As always, the food is very good at the Seaharvest and My Bar. The staff is very friendly and extremely helpful everywhere on this property, including Cathy Church's Underwater Photo Shop!

Although I like to try different diving destinations, there are so many good things about the sunset house experience that compel me to return, and I look forward to my next visit!

Room Tip: would recommend an oceanview
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Keith S, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thanks ScubaD! It was great seeing you again and we look forward to diving with you again! We have not slowed down since you left and are continuing to do upgrades around the resort! We are finishing up a big landscaping project this week. Look forward to seeing you soon!
Canovanas, Puerto Rico
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Had a great week-long dive vacation at Sunset House, Georgetown, Cayman Islands. The room was clean and large. Check in was fast and efficient, and friendly. Two outstanding notes go to Sunset Divers, the in-house dive operation: Charlotte and Laurie got us checked in and set up quickly and cheerfully. Aaron, Roger, Rhys, Simon, Pete, Robb led fantastic boat dives; the second was to the crew at Seaharvest Restaurant, especially Troy, and Tracy - by day two they had our names and room numbers memorized. The staff at My Bar, were warm and wonderful (thanks for all the matches, guys!) Tessa in the gift shop was sweet and helpful. Tienes (I may not be spelling that correctly) at the photo shop/gallery - a must see on its own - was extraordinarily helpful with me, the NOVICE photographer. I'll be back next year!

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Thank you, Keith and Karin, for the wonderful food, service, and diving at your resort ! Our adventure started out with a very cheery greeting from " Sunshine " ( Jennifer ) and the friendly service continued on with Olga, Jose, and the rest of your restaurant staff ! The menu had a very nice variety available, with something for everyone ! The rooms were neat and clean, and kept-up every day ! For us " middle-aged dive-addicts ", nothing could beat the dive operation and awesome staff ! Pete, Roger, Lowri, Charlotte, Rhys, Stephen and all were the best and friendliest in the Caribbean ! Their knowledge and expertise ensured that our dives, especially on Big Tunnels and The Kittiwake, were magnificent every time ! This is a " must visit " resort for SCUBA divers who would really like to be spoiled !!

Room Tip: The " Ocean View Rooms " with fridge/microwave/ironing board/hair dryer/ marble and tile b...
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We are two PADI Advanced divers, with more than 200 dives each. Our experience at Sunset House has been wonderful, and I highly recommend this dive center to anyone! Over the last three years, we have done 10 dive trips, all in different locations, and this is bar far the best experience we had.
We stayed at Sunset House for two weeks and did 42 dives each during our stay. Our package included two boat dives in the morning, and unlimited shore dives. The dive shop also offers boat dives to Stingray City and Kittiwake wreck, as well as night dives a several times per week. We went to Stingray city as you have to go there once in your life, but this was not the best part of the trip, as we prefer to see wildlife in their normal environment.
THE CREW
We mostly dove with Pete and Rhys. Both are extremely knowledgeable and highly professional. They are passionate by what they do and the energy of the team is fantastic. They gave us detailed dive plans every day, including safety on the boat, drawings of the dive sites, and detailed information on the specific fish and coral types that could be found in a specific dive site. They always offered shallow and deep dive profiles on the first dive of the day, to make sure that everyone was comfortable based on their level of experience. They also asked everyone if we had any special request for a dive site.
Underwater, they made special effort to point out interesting things to all, showing genuine interest in what they do. (At the end of a dive, Pete showed me a yellow head jawfish with eggs in his mouth, and it took me 10 minutes to be able to take a picture of it. He stayed nearby, and I could see the smile on his face when he saw that I got a good picture). As we stayed for two weeks, we saw lots of people come and go, and it was amazing to see that even on day one, each individual was greeted by their first name on the boat, making us all feel special, and not just numbers. During surface interval, they always changed our gears and stayed with us to discuss about our dive. I only have good things to say about them, as well as of the other divemasters we dove with (Rob, Lee and Aaron). Special thanks also to Laurie, who always helped us with the logistics, and with a great big smile in her face.
I wish I could go diving next week with them… We both felt like members of their family. My only regret: I should have spent more time learning underwater photography with Cathy Church… Well, next time because we will be back.
Guy and Patricia

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PatriciaAllaire
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I booked this hotel in conjunction with Cathy Church Photo Center. The hotel was clean and well appointed if a little on the small size. It was walking distance to the restaruant also above good and to the dive center and then the photo center.
Normal amenities, good bed/linen, everything worked,

Room Tip: Ocean side definitely had great views and was quieter
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lee W
Plano, Texas
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I LOVED staying and diving at the Sunset House. Everyone is VERY nice. Our dive captain was excellent - his name was Rob, and I really, really enjoyed being around him. There was also a gentleman named Troy, who worked at the restaurant, who was great. If you are into diving and want a dive spot that is truly devoted to diving, this is the place to go. And I HIGHLY advise you to try and find Rob if you can and he is still working there.

1 Thank CarlCeder
Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach
Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach
#6 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#1 of 1 in East End

Been to Sunset House? Share your experiences!