Just so you all know, I'm now 58 years old and have been staying at Sunset House since I was 11 years old... OMG it is so good now...our room was 409 first floor, best view of the ocean and the sea pool. I recently had full knee replacement , 8 weeks ago so I was quite hesitant how this would go, all went extremely well. The dive staff helped me take off all of my gear in the water and everything went well. I can't tell you all how good the dive boat crew is, see this: Do you believe in Miracle Mondays???? I do now... Thanks to Sunset House, Grand Cayman's Hotel For Divers, by Divers and Rob Hopwood and Keith Sahm. I have a great story to tell but I have to admit, I'm a bit embarrassed. This last week we stayed at Sunset House and dove and both Troy and myself took lessons from Cathy Church, wow, what a week. One day, mid week, we went to the Ora Verde Wreck for an awesome dive. Each dive, I took my bc off and all my gear at the ladder of the boat before boarding because of my knee. Made it easier to climb the ladder with all of that weight off my back. This particular dive, I remember I had a bit of difficulty getting out of my bc but ok, got it off and boarded the boat... A few hours later my friend Margie asked me what time it was, I went to look at my watch and it was gone, also there was a cut on the top of my wrist, about 3 inches up.. First thing I thought was maybe it came off in the pool, I usually rinse it there, yes, I pee in my wetsuit, chlorine takes care of that... anyway, it was not in the pool. Then I wasn't even positive that I had wore it so I told the front office that it was missing, a Diamond Jubilee Rado Watch, I also emailed my insurance company. I bought this watch years ago and it has been on each and every dive that I have done in the last 10 or 12 years, been as deep at 115' and recently was told that it is only water resistant , not for diving.. oh well. I told the dive staff the next day and right away they wanted to go back to the dive site, I told them we went on two sites yesterday and am not sure which one it was on that it could have came off but the second dive, ora verde, I did have trouble. They said let's do it again and I said that itl would not be fair to the other guests to take them back there. Again they told me not to worry, we would moor up to the site right next door and they would go over and look for it. , Wow, thanks... Sorry to say, no Luck... they called another boat that was on that site and all looked for my watch, it went down to Davey's Locker !!!! I did not let this ruin my trip at all, it's just a watch, problem is , it was around a 3000.00 watch and now I can afford a timex... oh well, all is good... Continued the rest of the week and then had to fly home, I'm sure many more divers dove the Ora Verde since the day we visited that site... I got a special email today from my friend Keith, General Manager from the hotel, guess what, Rob Hopwood found my watch. He went to the spot where he thought we were tied up and where the boat should have been when I took my gear off and sure enough, he found it... Wow, I so amazed.... Not only did he find it but he turned it in. I have new faith in folks, yes some of us do the right thing, maybe it takes one to know one and it comes back to you, because I'm the same way. Ok, so Miracle Mondays do work, I told the insurance company and Keith is helping me out by taking it to a rado dealer there, cayman island, to get a new pin for it and have it checked out. @Keith Sahm I am so WOWED it's amazing..... I can't believe it.. Do you know I stayed at Sunset House when I was 11 years old and now I'm 58? gezzz.... All I can say is now I have a new faith in folks, Thanks Rob Hopwood , enjoy your new bar tab I sent you.. Keith you are a Saint... Ok, guys, that's my story, can't believe @Sunset House that they can find buried treasure.... Thank You so much !!!!
Now let me tell you about the food, we stayed 7 days and only went out one night, been there before and will go back, wharf restaurant, awesome... Food at Sunset House is so diverse you could go every night and be happy...
Why would anyone go anywhere else then SunSet House.... This is the best place in the Cayman Islands and they also make you feel that way... Also look for "Murphy", he's the man !!!!!
Hugs to @Sunset House, not only did we have a great time but you made be believe in folks all over again... Hugs... We will be back. !!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- I've have found the beginning of why so many people love Sunset House, Grand Cayman's Hotel for Divers, by Divers. "Stepping out of my room, feeling the sunshine on my face, catching that breath of fragrant tropical breeze, gazing into the alluring blue water..". More profound words were never spoken! This family owned resort is more of a big guest house, than a hotel. Everything you have dreamed for a Caribbean Dive Vacation is here! From palm trees to an amazing house reef; from 5 custom dive boats, to a famous underwater photographer; from amazing Caribbean concoctions, to spicy Indian dishes; they all await you! And combined with warm Caymanian hospitality, you'll wonder why you waited so long to visit this West Indian oasis, or why you haven't come back sooner. Of course, the Caymans and Sunset House are a diver's paradise, with crystal-clear waters awaiting your arrival. Come to Sunset House today and experience now, what others have seen for over the last 50 years. An underwater photographer's perfect dive. Shipwrecks, curious big eels, cuddly stingrays and a legendary mermaid await you just steps from your room! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Sunset House Hotel George Town
- Sunset Hotel George Town
- Sunset Resort George Town
- Sunset House Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands