This was my second visit to Sunset House -- same week, two years earlier -- Presidents' Week up here. This time my husband and I traveled with another couple. Last time I went solo. It had been a perfect trip for a solo vacation. Felt completely safe all the time. I would walk into town in the afternoons and walk back before dark. This time I saw more of the island! But I could have happily stayed right at the hotel all week. The food is great -- if you order the local choices. The diving was wonderful (except for one pretty hairy, strong current dive). The natural swimming pool was delightful. Cathy Church was gracious and friendly, and we got two 8x10 prints, booking through Caradonna (ask for Doris!). I'd definitely go back. It's also a really easy flight.
I took away from the best rating only because the place really could use a little sprucing up, though as dive hotels go it's luxurious. Also, breakfasts are pretty dreary and boring (though the staff is wonderful). But it's a great value for the money. Very, very different from 7-Mile Beach!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- No Resort Fees!!! Best Value on Island! We have found the beginning of why so many people love Sunset House, Grand Cayman's Hotel for Divers, by Divers. "Stepping out of my room, feeling the sunshine on my face, catching that breath of fragrant tropical breeze, gazing into the alluring blue water..". More profound words were never spoken! This family owned resort is more of a big guest house, than a hotel. Everything you have dreamed for a Caribbean Dive Vacation is here! From palm trees to an amazing house reef; from 5 custom dive boats, to a famous underwater photographer; from amazing Caribbean concoctions, to spicy Indian dishes; they all await you! And combined with warm Caymanian hospitality, you'll wonder why you waited so long to visit this West Indian oasis, or why you haven't come back sooner. Of course, the Caymans and Sunset House are a diver's paradise, with crystal-clear waters awaiting your arrival. Come to Sunset House today and experience now, what others have seen for over the last 50 years. An underwater photographer's perfect dive. Shipwrecks, curious big eels, cuddly stingrays and a legendary mermaid await you just steps from your room! A perfect place for your scuba diving or snorkeling vacation! Packages include Breakfast, transfers from Airport and so much more! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Sunset House Hotel George Town
- Sunset Hotel George Town
- Sunset Resort George Town
- Sunset House Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands