“Great place to dive and stay”
Review of Sunset House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in George Town
Sunset House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in George Town
Montclair, New Jersey
“Great place to dive and stay”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I stay for a week at Sun Set House and it was GREAT. The room was perfect, the rest of the resort was great. We stayed in a ocean front room that was newly redone and it was great
The diving was of course great and the dive operation was the best, If you are diving need not look any father!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank plumberone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

Simply put, the main reason for staying at Sunset House is to be close to Sunset Divers (the on-site dive operator) and shore diving (it comes with a dive package with free air on the days you dive). If you want a nice place to stay then check elsewhere. The property has very little to offer those who do not dive. Kids can get dive certified after ten years of age. The review of the property could be much higher if you incorporated the fact that Sunset Divers and beach access to diving are included in diving package deals. Since these can be purchased separately from the hotel & property then it rates at only three stars. We were told that the dive boats occasionally leave from the property when seas are calm but did not while we were there. The beach diving is also closed when the seas are not calm (for your safety).

Upon arrival, the front desk was pleasant but not very helpful. The hotel payed the taxi for us but the driver did not seem to like this (unsure why since rates are standard on the island.) There were no services to help explore other parts of the island when we were not diving. There was a gift shop in the lobby stocked with tee shirts, camera gear, and some dive accessories. The staff there were pleasant. Cathy Church's photo gallery and camera shop (downstairs from the gift shop) will allow you to spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on underwater pictures and camera gear if you so desire. Prices seemed comparable to those available online and in US stores. They even let you rent some of the more expensive gear to try before you buy. There is a very cute small brown labradoodle in the shop. The staff there were also pleasant.

The property is just average with maintained grounds (except for the garbage that washes up on the beach). There is so much more potential for the shore but it mostly contains concrete walls admixed with the natural rocks. The dive pool provides some protection for those who want to shore dive. Parking is adequate. There was an outdoor area for parties along the waterfront but this was not used while we were there.

The rooms were average at best. If you have a choice then stay in a first floor room to have quick access to the rocky shore, the dive pool, and the dive boats (when seas allow). There is no beach on the property. There were better views on the first floor as the second floor rooms had palm trees obstructing the views. The room itself was marginal somewhat reminiscent to a Motel 6. The were no pictures on the walls (a shame given Cathy Church's photo gallery is on the property and she has some amazing sea life photos). The colors were drab. The linens were old and dated. The patio was nice (but small) with chairs (not loungers) and a small table. The bed was VERY uncomfortable as were the pillows. The only updated part of the room was the bathroom which was not kept up given the rusted metal trim. There was no tub and only a single sink. The toilet was in the same room with the sink and shower so there was no privacy. There was a hair dryer. There was a safe in the closet but no access was available to it. There was a small refrigerator and a microwave above this. A coffee pot was also there. A sliding mirror door covered either the clothing section of the closet or the section with the refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, and safe. Both sides could not be closed as there was only one slider. There were few power outlets in the room. None in the lamp bases or in convenient locations.

The bar the bar on the property (MyBar) was above average and a nice place to hang out after a dive for drinks and food. The mixed drinks at MyBar were if anything a little more than the standard pour. The restaurant (Sea Harvest) was average (same food as MyBar). Some would say that MyBar has the same food as the Sea Harvest but I would expect more from the restaurant (better service, better food, better overall appearance). The advantage of MyBar was the amazing views. They have really good fish tacos and a decent selection of Indian food along with there variety of salads, seafood dishes, etc. With the dive packages and hotel a free breakfast is included with a limited menu.

The pool on the property was small. The water temperature was cooler than the ocean (which is a pleasant 85 most of the year). The jacuzzi was also very cool (high 70's at best) so it was not a very relaxing place to soak or relax those muscles after a long day of diving. For the week we were there not a single person was seen using it.

The local attractions such as Stingray city diving is only accessible when the weather allows. Dive sites are also limited based on weather conditions.

If/when we return to Grand Cayman we will not stay at Sunset House unless there are some major upgrades. We will more likely stay at a nearby location and use the best parts available on the property: Sunset Divers, the beach access, and MyBar.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank nwreedclan
shandytara, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Good Morning Walla Walla,

I want to thank you for your comments as they allow us to see what our guests care about and how we can improve our product and service. I am pleased you noted our property is located right next to the water and that it does not have a beach; this is something we very happily advertise as we want our guests to know there is great snorkelling and shore diving available right out in front of their room. And as you noted the shore diving is free for our guests on a dive package and the tanks are available 24/7. However, as with every destination when Mother Nature decides to introduce a storm that throws a wave or two at you it becomes more difficult to explore the reef and we have to remove the access ladders so they do not get damaged, but more importantly, so our guests are kept safe. I am sorry that during your visit such an event happened but with that said, we were still able to take you out and boat dive on another protected area of the Islands. We are continually making improvements to the property and the rooms and we would love to have you return and stay with us when you are ready for your next dive vacation. Once again, thank you for your comments.

Ken Thompson
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Group of divers visited Sunset House recently. It is a Dive Resort and those that don't dive are well advised to avoid this place, as there is no beach to lie on, a minimalist pool and not many other things to do or go. But for divers, it is great.

Check-in = was smooth and front desk were very friendly.

Rooms = there are minimalist rooms, some updated ones, and some apartment style. We had a relatively updated one (that meant a cleaner bathroon, a coffee machine, safe, tall bar fridge). TV channel was poor and quality of TV signal was poor.

Internet = free wireless internet. Signal in our room was relatively strong. The open bar, My Bar, had very strong wifi and could make Facetime and Magic Jack calls.

Grounds = nothing very exceptional here. It is a very plain hotel.

Pool = nothing exceptional here. it is more of a dive pool than a relax pool.

Restaurants - 2 places to eat, the Seaharbor Restaurant which served breakfast and dinner. The BK menu is not very varied, but is adequate for diving. BK includes choice of juice, toast, entree (of carbs or eggs). Again, its not a buffet nor is there variety. My Bar is the outdoor restaurant. The food is the same as the Restaurant. typical Bar food.

Food - first, they offer a full Indian food menu, which was both surprising in selections and in taste. it was fairly good. Chef is Indian. I had fish tacos and burgers in the My Bar, which was good. Food is expensive here (as it is on the Island). If you don't want to eat in the hotel, then you have to go to Town. Guy Harvey's is about 10 minutes walk. Otherwise, you call a cab. We also went to Rackams which had good food.

Cabs = need to be called. Also, make sure you ask driver how much it is in Caymanian and US Dollars and also what it will be per person. There is no meter. It is a haggling based system. Most cabs we saw were van style so plenty of seating.

Town = sunset is on the far south side of the west side, so one can walk to the Cruise ship area, which is overpriced and only caters to the cruise customers. but to get into town itself or to 7 Mile Beach area, you have to cab. Food selection increases greatly as you go to Town. We also went to Rackams bar, which had good food and great vibe. Oddly, lots of locals come to the My Bar to hang out.

Diving - well isn't that why you are reading this review? Shore diving was closed for our safety due to strong waves and surge. We could not dive the West Side for a few days. We dove the South Shores, which was very nice and interesting. When we could boat dive the West, we visited the common spots, dove the Kittiwake, and Sting Ray City.

Even from shore diving, dove the mermaid but viz was OK due to the wavy turbulence. For boat sites, we asked our captain to take us more to caverns and swim throughs, and formations, versus regular places. Diving Caymans, as usual, was great. But I have to say the lack of big stuff was alarming. We rarely saw turtles, sharks, eels, lobsters, etc. So, the rule was usually you dive Caymans to see bigger stuff, Bonaire to see little stuff. Not sure why this was. Lockers are provided.
Sting Ray City is always a hoot. This was my 3rd time to SRC and it is good still.
Definitely consider a Kittiwake Night Dive, just ask the dive shop. You need I think 8-9 people to get the boat out there.

Staff - the staff were very good. Very helpful with our needs and very attentive that shore diving was canceled for a few days, which were made up by extra boat dives. Plus, they were always willing to make us happy. Kudos out to Trevor, Rob, Simon, Roger, Peter, Jacquie, Laurie, Charlotte, who made this trip well worth it. The lack of shore diving was not the House or Dive Shop fault. It was dangerous.

What Could Go Better Next Time: because the food in the bar and restaurant becomes expensive, i would consider going with the apartment style room that has the full kitchen. Then make a trip to the grocery store to buy your lunch and dinners for the days you want. You can also go to the liquor store for the booze to avoid large Bar charges.

I would also liked to have pre-planned a short jaunt to Little Caymans or Cayman Brac to see what's there. I have visited Grand Caymans 5 times now and stayed on GC itselft. Maybe a trip to the other islands to see the MV Kibbets wreck or something.

Room Tip: Pick apartment style room to save costs on food by buying groceries. Pick upper floors not ground fl...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Shazzman
Reviewed November 5, 2012

IF your into underwater photography and many of us are, its difficult to get great photos due to lack of underesea life in the Caymans. There was only two noteworthy spots we were taken to on our week of diving, they were: The Kitiwake wreck that was sunk a year ago and stingray city. Both places provided reasonable occasions where a photographer could sink his teeth into a few great shots.
The staff was fantastic no problem there, excellent work, the Nitrox mix was a fortune as well as the overweight charge by Westjet (100.00 US) for two scuba bags. Of coarse all travelers know thats a big cash grab and have swallowed it but hey its a dive location and a sports bag should include scuba gear, and we all know it weights alot!!
The breakfasts were tiny in comparison to Cozumel where we all got fed like kings morning, afternoon, and night..and here is a secret (for half the price you get 3 times the marine life!!)

Expensive place, safe, lousy marine life, crummy food, great staff, overcharges for Nitrox, nailed to the wall with overweight fees for scuba gear by Wetjet...TO THE WALL!! Airlline staff are frumpy and could use more training in how to behave and wash their uniforms.

The big secret unveiled...get yourself to Cozumel..dirt cheap, lots of marine life..all you can eat and drink 24/7 great staff etc etc..and it felt safe as well..certainly safer then St.Marten where Canadians and Amricans are getting picked off all the time..( they hate us there)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The best part of my recent (second) trip to Sunset House in the Grand Caymans was the Sea Harvest restaurant. The food and staff were excellent. As for diving and the hotel portion, here is my story.

The resort rooms have been upgraded from last year but they would have been better to spend the money on the A/C units rather than the flat screen TV. The first night was sleepless as I tried to get used to an A/C unit that roared away, clunked on and generally was a pain. Of course with no sleep, I cancelled the first dive trip (-2 dives),

I figured a way to “work with” the A/C unit on the 2nd night; set it to bring the room down to 70F then reset it to 80F and go to sleep. It would take a couple of hours before the unit would clunk back on at which point I reset it to 70F and waited… once it reached 70F, I reset it again for 80F and went to sleep.

So, on the second dive day I was rested enough that I got my gear and headed to the boat; after all there was warm water calling and this was a dive vacation! I was loaded onto the boat along with the other 16 or so divers. The first dive was “guided” and the second dive was “best on your own in groups of two”. Fortunately, I was able to team up with a couple who I chanced to sit by after the 1st dive (+2 dives).

Third day I retrieved my wet gear from the locker, it rained overnight and I discovered the locker roof has a rather large hole in it… oh, well the gear would just get wet when I dove anyways. Again, I get loaded on to the boat, this time with about 20 others. I pair up with the couple from the previous day and as I pass 27 feet, my ear won’t clear. After a few attempts, I have to abort the dive. Once we get back to the boat, we are surprised to find it unattended. Fortunately the issue wasn’t anything that required emergency assistance. (-2 dives).

The local drugstore has little for an ear infection without prescription, so I use the generic “ear drops” and skipped the fourth day (-2 dives).

Fifth day, I head out on the boat after making sure one of the dive crew is aware that this dive may need to be aborted depending on my ear. With 20 people on board, and little room to work with the gear, I end up puncturing my finger with the tank strap clip while trying to assemble the gear without hitting anyone on either side of me. The crew directs me to the roll of paper towels until they finish with the rest of the divers. With a bandaged finger (blood soaked right through the bandage) I decide to try the dive if for no other reason than to check my ear. Into the water, and back out, the high pressure hose on the rented regulator is torn. I head to the back of the boat to remove the regulator set so the crew can swap the hoses and my finger starts bleeding again. I decided to sit out the one dive and let my finger have a chance to congeal. We get to the second dive site and after I remind the crew that the hose needs to be swapped, they swap it and I head in for the dive. This time I am paired up with a different couple (the previous couple had finished diving for their trip). As we descend I am pleased that my ear doesn’t cause any issue, but I notice the masks on both my partners are heavily fogged. I check if they want to surface to fix them since we just descended to 35 ft, and they indicate no. As we begin along the bottom I notice they both are having buoyancy issues, mask issues, etc so I end up acting as a dive guide/instructor and spent most of the dive monitoring my dive partners including getting back to the boat on time and trying to keep them at 15 ft for the safety stop. (-1dive, +1 dive).

Sixth and final dive day, I check the list and find out there are 22 people on this dive, including the couple I last dove with. I decide to cancel the dive since I find that is simply too many people on the reef at once and I don’t feel like playing guide/instructor again (-2 dives).

Of course part of the marketing at Sunset House is the “unlimited” shore diving; this is providing you have a dive partner! Since I wasn’t part of a group, and missed some of the boat dives, I ended up with no shore dives. Other than word of mouth, there is no method of “linking” up for shore dives and if you aren’t on the boats, there is little chance to join the conversation.

After two trips to Sunset House, I can say it is definitely geared towards groups and not the individual diver. The large number of people per boat works well for groups, but not if you want to enjoy the peace and beauty of the reefs without being finned over by other divers. Dumping 20 people onto a reef to “explore on your own” is simply a way to maximize profits by minimizing expenses (fuel for the boats, and dive pay for the staff). At a dive resort where you are prepaying for your dives a dive master should always be available for the full dive (Sunset Houses standard is 25 minutes underwater for the dive master) for anyone who wants a guided tour, including both those from groups and individuals.

Now to be fair, many of the issues were my own, but this was the second trip to Sunset House and I can say non-group divers be informed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank the_peace_of_scuba
shandytara, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Jim,

Thank you for taking time to write a review and I want you to know I appreciate the critique. I will start by apologizing for the difficulty you had in operating the ac unit and getting it to work to your satisfaction. I checked the unit myself atfter reading your review and it works fine which leads me to believe the timer may have been stuck on "cooling delay" mode which is why it took a few hours to come back on after reaching the set temperature.

With respect to your diving I can only offer you my sympathies for your ear problems and cut finger which caused you to miss out on some great dives. I am pleased to note however that you completed your Nitrox certification with Ben while you were with us, and what I can do to offset your missed dives is to provide free Nitrox tanks on your next trip to Sunset House. Please contact me at the hotel as to where I can send a letter.

Thank you again for your review and I look forward to seeing you again at Sunset House.

Sincderely,

Ken Thompson
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Just came back from a 6 day dive trip to Sunset House with a group of 5 Adult women (me along with my 3 sisters and my 74 year old Mom). We selected Cayman and Sunset House for many reasons including ease of travel, tropical diving, and diver oriented resort. We were not disappointed in anything. The flights from Florida to Cayman are a breeze and the airport is only 15 min from Sunset House. We did some advance research to preselect the type and location of room we wanted which turned out perfect. We were in Building #4 which is off to the side but still very close to the pool and restaraunt but not too close to the bar. We also selected 2 adjoining ground floor units on the ocean side which were ideal. Nice patios and great picnic area with lounge chairs out back. Rooms are very basic but clean and they had everyhting we needed in a basic stocked small kitchen. The accomodations are not fancy or luxurious but they are clean and perfect fo divers. 110 Electric throughout which was easy for camera charging etc. Wi-Fii was sporadic around the property but sufficient and free. The Staff was great. The waiters were very friendly and accomodating and the dive staff was supberb! Before we ever arrived, Kim in the front office and Pete from the dive shop were very responsive to every email and every request. Once we arrived, the rest of the dive shop staff jumped into action and accomodated all our requests. Roger, Charolotte, Jackie, and Benjamin were all great. Roger and Jackie in particular went out of their way to make sure we all were enjoying ourselves. We did several boat dives as well as Stingray City, the Kittiwake and a few shore entry dives on the local house reef with the Mermaid statute and all were great. We went to town 1/2 a day and did the Spa at the Ritz 1/2 day (after we couldn't dive anymore before flying). Town is nothing special. Just like any other tourist caribbean island like Nassau or St. Thomas etc. Lots of jewlery and tshirt stores. We don't care much for shopping or cruiseship passengers so we were very content to simply stay onsite at Sunset House. Great Sunset views each night do not dissappoint. On the downside, the only thing we did seek out was better food for dinners. Breakfast was good and lunch food fine but dinner we did go out 2 nights hunting better places to eat. Of course, we also had a full kitchen in our room so we could cook if we wanted to. Food is good at Sunset House but not really good. However, the diving and staff make up for that for sure! Another point we liked was being there on the OFF season. We went in September during hurricane season and the island was quite and most resorts empty. We loved that! We only saw 1 cruiseship in port over 6 days! There are some dive sites you can't dive when the cruiseships are in. Another great dive site was the Grottos off Eden Rock so be sure to check that out. In any event, we all agreed Cayman and Sunset House are a great combo dive destination that cater to divers. Dive lockers and rinse tanks all handy and conveniently located. Well run operation and well trained staff. I recommend this to experienced and beginner divers alike. Enjoy!

Room Tip: We really liked Building #4, ground floor rooms on ocean side. Building #4 is away from the bar but...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Portage, Michigan
Reviewed July 31, 2012

As my title states it’s a hotel for SCUBA divers. My wife and I were there July 21th- 28th for SCUBA diving.

The room we stayed in was "ok". The room looks like it has not been updated since the 1980's, except for the furnature. The toilet was not secure and moved when you sat down. The first night there it took 10-15 minutes to get hot water in the shower and throughout our stay the water would randomly go from hot to cool then back to hot. The floor never really got cleaned, after showering I would stand on a towel and shuffle across the floor to clean it. The bed was a nice king sized bed, the dresser was nice, and the LCD flat panel TV was also nice. My only suggestion would be that since it is catered to SCUBA divers that they put hooks or something in the bath room for the gear as the tension rod of a shower curtain does not hold much so you are pretty much forced to use the lockers where the paint is coming off and gets all over your gear if you are not careful.

The front desk staff was mixed, one lady was super nice and the other seemed like we were bothering her when we asked a question.

The restaurant was very nice, the food was good and the wait staff was very good.

The SCUBA diving was great! Lots of great coral and small fish. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Cathy Church’s store was very nice, great staff, and ok prices. It says discount prices, but I’m not sure what that is compared to as it is the same prices as I can get here in the US, just no taxes.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,979 reviews
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#1 of 1 in East End
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,569 reviews

Been to Sunset House? Share your experiences!