“A dive trip that didn't work.”
Review of Sunset House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in George Town
Sunset House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in George Town
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“A dive trip that didn't work.”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The best part of my recent (second) trip to Sunset House in the Grand Caymans was the Sea Harvest restaurant. The food and staff were excellent. As for diving and the hotel portion, here is my story.

The resort rooms have been upgraded from last year but they would have been better to spend the money on the A/C units rather than the flat screen TV. The first night was sleepless as I tried to get used to an A/C unit that roared away, clunked on and generally was a pain. Of course with no sleep, I cancelled the first dive trip (-2 dives),

I figured a way to “work with” the A/C unit on the 2nd night; set it to bring the room down to 70F then reset it to 80F and go to sleep. It would take a couple of hours before the unit would clunk back on at which point I reset it to 70F and waited… once it reached 70F, I reset it again for 80F and went to sleep.

So, on the second dive day I was rested enough that I got my gear and headed to the boat; after all there was warm water calling and this was a dive vacation! I was loaded onto the boat along with the other 16 or so divers. The first dive was “guided” and the second dive was “best on your own in groups of two”. Fortunately, I was able to team up with a couple who I chanced to sit by after the 1st dive (+2 dives).

Third day I retrieved my wet gear from the locker, it rained overnight and I discovered the locker roof has a rather large hole in it… oh, well the gear would just get wet when I dove anyways. Again, I get loaded on to the boat, this time with about 20 others. I pair up with the couple from the previous day and as I pass 27 feet, my ear won’t clear. After a few attempts, I have to abort the dive. Once we get back to the boat, we are surprised to find it unattended. Fortunately the issue wasn’t anything that required emergency assistance. (-2 dives).

The local drugstore has little for an ear infection without prescription, so I use the generic “ear drops” and skipped the fourth day (-2 dives).

Fifth day, I head out on the boat after making sure one of the dive crew is aware that this dive may need to be aborted depending on my ear. With 20 people on board, and little room to work with the gear, I end up puncturing my finger with the tank strap clip while trying to assemble the gear without hitting anyone on either side of me. The crew directs me to the roll of paper towels until they finish with the rest of the divers. With a bandaged finger (blood soaked right through the bandage) I decide to try the dive if for no other reason than to check my ear. Into the water, and back out, the high pressure hose on the rented regulator is torn. I head to the back of the boat to remove the regulator set so the crew can swap the hoses and my finger starts bleeding again. I decided to sit out the one dive and let my finger have a chance to congeal. We get to the second dive site and after I remind the crew that the hose needs to be swapped, they swap it and I head in for the dive. This time I am paired up with a different couple (the previous couple had finished diving for their trip). As we descend I am pleased that my ear doesn’t cause any issue, but I notice the masks on both my partners are heavily fogged. I check if they want to surface to fix them since we just descended to 35 ft, and they indicate no. As we begin along the bottom I notice they both are having buoyancy issues, mask issues, etc so I end up acting as a dive guide/instructor and spent most of the dive monitoring my dive partners including getting back to the boat on time and trying to keep them at 15 ft for the safety stop. (-1dive, +1 dive).

Sixth and final dive day, I check the list and find out there are 22 people on this dive, including the couple I last dove with. I decide to cancel the dive since I find that is simply too many people on the reef at once and I don’t feel like playing guide/instructor again (-2 dives).

Of course part of the marketing at Sunset House is the “unlimited” shore diving; this is providing you have a dive partner! Since I wasn’t part of a group, and missed some of the boat dives, I ended up with no shore dives. Other than word of mouth, there is no method of “linking” up for shore dives and if you aren’t on the boats, there is little chance to join the conversation.

After two trips to Sunset House, I can say it is definitely geared towards groups and not the individual diver. The large number of people per boat works well for groups, but not if you want to enjoy the peace and beauty of the reefs without being finned over by other divers. Dumping 20 people onto a reef to “explore on your own” is simply a way to maximize profits by minimizing expenses (fuel for the boats, and dive pay for the staff). At a dive resort where you are prepaying for your dives a dive master should always be available for the full dive (Sunset Houses standard is 25 minutes underwater for the dive master) for anyone who wants a guided tour, including both those from groups and individuals.

Now to be fair, many of the issues were my own, but this was the second trip to Sunset House and I can say non-group divers be informed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank the_peace_of_scuba
shandytara, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Jim,

Thank you for taking time to write a review and I want you to know I appreciate the critique. I will start by apologizing for the difficulty you had in operating the ac unit and getting it to work to your satisfaction. I checked the unit myself atfter reading your review and it works fine which leads me to believe the timer may have been stuck on "cooling delay" mode which is why it took a few hours to come back on after reaching the set temperature.

With respect to your diving I can only offer you my sympathies for your ear problems and cut finger which caused you to miss out on some great dives. I am pleased to note however that you completed your Nitrox certification with Ben while you were with us, and what I can do to offset your missed dives is to provide free Nitrox tanks on your next trip to Sunset House. Please contact me at the hotel as to where I can send a letter.

Thank you again for your review and I look forward to seeing you again at Sunset House.

Sincderely,

Ken Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Just came back from a 6 day dive trip to Sunset House with a group of 5 Adult women (me along with my 3 sisters and my 74 year old Mom). We selected Cayman and Sunset House for many reasons including ease of travel, tropical diving, and diver oriented resort. We were not disappointed in anything. The flights from Florida to Cayman are a breeze and the airport is only 15 min from Sunset House. We did some advance research to preselect the type and location of room we wanted which turned out perfect. We were in Building #4 which is off to the side but still very close to the pool and restaraunt but not too close to the bar. We also selected 2 adjoining ground floor units on the ocean side which were ideal. Nice patios and great picnic area with lounge chairs out back. Rooms are very basic but clean and they had everyhting we needed in a basic stocked small kitchen. The accomodations are not fancy or luxurious but they are clean and perfect fo divers. 110 Electric throughout which was easy for camera charging etc. Wi-Fii was sporadic around the property but sufficient and free. The Staff was great. The waiters were very friendly and accomodating and the dive staff was supberb! Before we ever arrived, Kim in the front office and Pete from the dive shop were very responsive to every email and every request. Once we arrived, the rest of the dive shop staff jumped into action and accomodated all our requests. Roger, Charolotte, Jackie, and Benjamin were all great. Roger and Jackie in particular went out of their way to make sure we all were enjoying ourselves. We did several boat dives as well as Stingray City, the Kittiwake and a few shore entry dives on the local house reef with the Mermaid statute and all were great. We went to town 1/2 a day and did the Spa at the Ritz 1/2 day (after we couldn't dive anymore before flying). Town is nothing special. Just like any other tourist caribbean island like Nassau or St. Thomas etc. Lots of jewlery and tshirt stores. We don't care much for shopping or cruiseship passengers so we were very content to simply stay onsite at Sunset House. Great Sunset views each night do not dissappoint. On the downside, the only thing we did seek out was better food for dinners. Breakfast was good and lunch food fine but dinner we did go out 2 nights hunting better places to eat. Of course, we also had a full kitchen in our room so we could cook if we wanted to. Food is good at Sunset House but not really good. However, the diving and staff make up for that for sure! Another point we liked was being there on the OFF season. We went in September during hurricane season and the island was quite and most resorts empty. We loved that! We only saw 1 cruiseship in port over 6 days! There are some dive sites you can't dive when the cruiseships are in. Another great dive site was the Grottos off Eden Rock so be sure to check that out. In any event, we all agreed Cayman and Sunset House are a great combo dive destination that cater to divers. Dive lockers and rinse tanks all handy and conveniently located. Well run operation and well trained staff. I recommend this to experienced and beginner divers alike. Enjoy!

Room Tip: We really liked Building #4, ground floor rooms on ocean side. Building #4 is away from the bar but...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Portage, Michigan
Reviewed July 31, 2012

As my title states it’s a hotel for SCUBA divers. My wife and I were there July 21th- 28th for SCUBA diving.

The room we stayed in was "ok". The room looks like it has not been updated since the 1980's, except for the furnature. The toilet was not secure and moved when you sat down. The first night there it took 10-15 minutes to get hot water in the shower and throughout our stay the water would randomly go from hot to cool then back to hot. The floor never really got cleaned, after showering I would stand on a towel and shuffle across the floor to clean it. The bed was a nice king sized bed, the dresser was nice, and the LCD flat panel TV was also nice. My only suggestion would be that since it is catered to SCUBA divers that they put hooks or something in the bath room for the gear as the tension rod of a shower curtain does not hold much so you are pretty much forced to use the lockers where the paint is coming off and gets all over your gear if you are not careful.

The front desk staff was mixed, one lady was super nice and the other seemed like we were bothering her when we asked a question.

The restaurant was very nice, the food was good and the wait staff was very good.

The SCUBA diving was great! Lots of great coral and small fish. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Cathy Church’s store was very nice, great staff, and ok prices. It says discount prices, but I’m not sure what that is compared to as it is the same prices as I can get here in the US, just no taxes.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jkassak
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Our group of 8 stayed at Sunset House from 7-12-2012 thru 7-26-2012. Three of us stayed in room 411. Three more stayed in room 412, and Two in room 304.

Room 411 is located on the ground floor at the furthers corner of the resort. Proximity to the dive shop, pool, and restaurant is sacrificed for quiet and privacy. The room was large and comfortable. It had two comfortable king sized beds, TV, small refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, and a safe. The room had a small wall mounted air-conditioner which did a good job of keeping the room cool. The bathroom had a shower with good water pressure and plenty of hot water. The only negative comment about this room was the toilet it was very slow to flush.

Room 412 is not located next to room 411. In fact Room 412 is located in an entirely different building. This room is on the top floor and centrally located in the resort. The view from the balcony offers great views of the ocean and cruise ships. This room is smaller than room 411 and had two queen size beds, TV, small refrigerator, microwave, and safe. This room did not have a coffee maker. The room had a small wall mounted air-conditioner which did a good job of keeping the room cool. The bathroom had a shower but had unreasonably low water pressure. The toilet was also very slow to flush. The shower had hot water but because of the absurd low water pressure it made it most uncomfortable to take a shower. Room 411 had good water pressure but room 412 the water only trickled out of the shower head.

Room 304 is located right next door to the dive shop. In fact this room is constantly mistaken for being part of the dive shop. If you get this room do yourself a favor and post a sign on your door stating that it’s not part of the dive shop. People will walk in on you if you don’t lock your door. This room is small, noisy, and is in the most highly trafficked area of the resort. This room has 1 queen size bed, a small refrigerator, TV, and a small wall mounted air-conditioner that does a good job of keeping the room cool. Be warned that this room has no hot water. If you are a people watcher and don’t mind the noise and don’t need hot water then this is the room for you. The view from your front porch is of the bar to the left of you, dive shop to the right and straight out in front is where everyone gathers for the morning and afternoon boat dives. You will hear the clanging of scuba tanks, and the radio from the people upstairs. The only other thing you have to consider about this room is drying your things out on the front porch. People will mistake your items for those of the dive shop and might borrow them.

Restaurant: The staff is friendly and polite. The only down side to the restaurant was breakfast. Most resorts have a buffet style breakfast but Sunset house only offers a limited menu. Breakfast was OK but you are not going to get up in the morning and be excited about it. Lunch and Dinner was much better. No complaints from anyone about Lunch or Dinner.

House Cleaning: Excellent no complaints from anyone. Whoever is in charge of house cleaning needs a raise. They do an exceptional job.

Dive Shop: Lots of mixed reviews here. This is probably the weak link of the resort. You can have a good experience or you can have a bad one just depends on who is running the shop. Some of the staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome. They are courteous and polite and will engage you in conversation. On the other hand you my encounter attitude with a sprinkling of Superiority and a dash of Power and control issues. One day you can be left with the mind set that you want to go book another trip with these people and the next day you will feel like you are still back at home at your job dealing with unreasonable people. Bottom line is: don’t expect a friendly experience from all of these people.

Boat Diving: The boat crew is drawn from the same well as those of the dive shop. You can have a wonderful experience or you can be made to feel that your only reason for being on the boat is to praise the dive master. Daylight and dark between the staff. I watched one customer ask one of the staff what the visibility was and the staff member responded in a derogatory tone: “Your looking at it” rolled his eyes and went about his business. I looked at the customer and thought well he told you. Lol…

Front Office: The front office has a guest area that sports a small library and a computer to access the internet. There is always brewed coffee and is well kept and clean. The front desk staff are friendly, polite and courteous.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
17 Thank Deepoutdoors
Bonaire
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I just returned from a weeklong stay at Sunset house with my husband. We are divers and snorkelers who typically take 2-3 dive trips per year. We chose Sunset House because of its convenience for divers, but also because it is the home base of Cathy Church’s underwater photography operation (we have taken Cathy’s classes in other locations).

I was really happy with my choice of Sunset House for this trip to Grand Cayman. We like laid-back, smaller boutique hotels that lack a discernable “corporate formula”. Sunset House is exactly that.

Please read on for my detailed review.

Rooms

The rooms at Sunset House are very basic, but they are clean and well serviced. I have a few small “nits” about the room setup, and since this is a detailed review, I will share them.

-Since this is a diver/snorkeler’s hotel, I was surprised by the lack of drying lines in the shower and on the balcony. It became cumbersome and annoying trying to dry our rashguards and wet bathing suits and shorts on the patio floor.

-The Wi-Fi in the rooms is non-existent to atrocious, however, Sunset House is very upfront about this and I knew to expect this. Wi-Fi is reliable in the bar and restaurant.

-This resort is a hub for underwater photographers, and our room had no desk for laying out our camera and tech equipment (techie problems!).

-We had an upstairs room in building 4. The room had a nice sunset view. On my next visit, I will request a downstairs room in building 4 or 5. The downstairs rooms have balconies with steps to the ocean, so you don’t have to drag your wet items through the room.

-The mattresses were not very comfortable, and after full days of diving and snorkeling, I wished for a better quality mattress at night.

I don’t think anyone goes to Sunset House to spend lazy days in his or her room.

Grounds/Resort Layout

Sunset House sits on the rocky shore. The first and most important thing to know, since this is an island famous for beaches, is that Sunset House has no beach. It sits on a great reef for diving, but beach-goers will not get their fix here. The resort has two pools – a conventional swimming pool and a saltwater pool that is open to the ocean. There is a Jacuzzi by the conventional pool (it is not hot). If you do not dive or snorkel and wish to swim in the pool, be forewarned that divers have the right of way with respect to the pool. If divers are in the pool training, others may not swim. While I understand that it is a dive resort, there are times that I like to swim a few laps for exercise. This was not always possible due to the dive students in the pool. The grounds are nicely manicured, and there are numerous coconut palms that give the resort a very tropical feel.

One thing to note about the grounds is the presence of Sunset House’s next-door neighbor, which appeared to be some type of oil storage or refinery. Several large industrial tanks line the shoreline. From time to time, a large tanker ship moors just off the shore. It is directly in the field of view from Sunset House. This didn’t necessarily bother me, but others may see it as detracting from the atmosphere. Another thing to note is that Sunset House is in the GCM landing path. Now, if you've been to SXM, the planes aren't quite that close, but they are still pretty low in altitude. For me, this was a positive because I am a planespotter. Others may be annoyed by the noise.

Restaurant/Bar

The restaurant at Sunset House, Seaharvest, has a varied menu with quality offerings. Daily breakfast was included with our package, and it consisted of juice, coffee (which was quite good), toast, cereal and a choice of hot items such as omelets, pancakes or French toast. The lunch and dinner menus offered a variety of American, Mexican and Indian items. Some of my favorites were the veggie tacos and the tofu vegetable curry. Vegetarians are well cared-for here. The restaurant service was friendly and attentive.

The open-air bar is a fun place to have a drink and a bite. It is especially nice at sunset, where Sunset House’s west-facing orientation makes for killer views. The bartenders and servers at the bar are friendly and helpful, and the overall atmosphere is laid-back and relaxing.

Diving/Snorkeling

Sunset House’s location on the reef was a major factor in our decision to stay there. The diving and snorkeling could not be easier or more convenient. The on-site dive operation, Sunset Divers, is professional, safety-conscious, friendly and very well organized. As well as a boat diving schedule, they offer unlimited shore diving and make tanks available 24/7. You will find a mermaid statue and a wreck on the house reef. The coral is OK, but not the best you will find on Grand Cayman.

I was not overly impressed with the snorkeling on the house reef. I am, admittedly, a very jaded snorkeler, but I expected a bit more. The surge can be quite heavy, often making it difficult to snorkel around the rocks at the shoreline. Also, the coral on the reef starts at about 15-20 feet, so it is difficult to take good snorkeling photos here due to the depth.

This would be a great place to learn to dive. It’s also a great place to test out new underwater photography equipment. I recommend the house reef for diving, but it did not impress me as a snorkeling site.

Cathy Church’s Underwater Photography Operation & Gallery

This is why we really came to Sunset House, and I can say with 100% certainty that we were not disappointed! Cathy Church is a renowned underwater photographer, and her home base and gallery is located at Sunset House. It’s an impressive operation, offering a mind-blowing array of photography equipment. They also offer instruction and have a gallery of Cathy’s images for purchase. Cathy’s operation made our vacation. Every one of her staff members is amazing! Thank you Diana and Theunis for your assistance with our many questions.

Overall, I was very happy with my stay at Sunset House, and we are already planning a repeat visit.

For more photos and info, please visit my blog here:

Room Tip: Ask for a ground level room in building 4 or 5.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank luv4travelNJ
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Had a blast here. We got the ocean view apartment and it was more than enough for us. Next time we'll be sure to use the kitchen more. We had some crazy crazy reservation issues with people arriving the day before, leaving mid-week, some only staying first 4 days, some coming in and staying last 3 days, etc...and they accommodated our constant requests and changes with no problems. We know we drove Kim crazy, but we love her for it and promise simplicity next time!

Overall, a great dive hotel. Not too many frills, which is fine and was expected. Breakfast was filling to start the day, My Bar was great for lunch/dinner...but we will definitely cook more next time in our kitchen to mix it up a bit since it got a bit mundane towards the end of the week. Amazing Indian food there though!

We loved diving with Sunset Divers, made great friends there and we all had a blast. I can't wait to go back and for the ease of diving and great house reef, I'll definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We just spent one week at Sunset House. The accommodations were dingy and badly in need of cleaning and paint - there was someone's undies sticking out from under my bed, and none of the drains in the bathroom worked. It essentially is a motel. Each room has an installed air conditioning unit that blasted all night - the sound was horrible all night, and affected our sleep.
The location is about a 15 minute walk along a busy highway without curbs into Georgetown - it took us about 2 hours to walk to 7 mile beach (which their literature touts as being nearby).
Upon arrival, the receptionist was indifferent, if not outright belligerent. She didn't smile for the first two days, until she was replaced. We felt as though we were putting her out just by arriving at 4:45pm. She told us that the dive shop was closed (even though it is posted as being open until 5pm), but didn't know anything about its operations. We received no orientation to the facilities, and there were no maps of the island or any literature at all offered or available.
We had a couple of issues with our dive equipment (it seemed that my sons' regulator was leaking), and no one at the dive shop knew anything about any of our issues - nor did they even offer to try to help. It clearly was our problem.
The video you find on their website states that all of the divers on the boat vote on the location - that never happened all week. In fact, one morning the dive master selected two sites that were minutes from Sunset House - we could have snorkeled the sites. There are 365 dive sites at the Grand Cayman, but he chose two that were right off of our beach - we certainly were not consulted nor did we vote on these site selections.
The food is fine, but the waitstaff is harried and stretched thin. One waitress told us that if we charge the food to the room, the wait staff does not receive the tips - they go into a general fund. So, she encouraged us to pay cash or credit card so that she would receive the tips - and, she was almost literally running from table to table just to keep up.
The dive staff were friendly, but did not seem very willing to help out or provide much assistance.
Having been diving at several dive resorts around the world (Anthony's Key, Roatan, is one of our favorites), I was surprised to find that the room/dive package only included 2 morning dives. All other dives you are on your own to jump off of their pier. Other dive-specific resorts accommodate 4 dives per day. No afternoon boat dives (other than an extra-charge wreck dive and a trip to the 12' shallow Stingray City) were even offered.
Overall, we felt that we were lured into this motel by false advertising - both in print (we see their ads in Sports Diver magazine) and on their website. We definitely did not get our money's worth. It is one thing to pay a low price, and get a low-grade experience. It is another to pay full price for a low-grade experience.
I cannot recommend this particular hotel/dive hotel (I just cannot bring myself to call it a "resort") to anyone.

Room Tip: We had two rooms - they both were dirty, dingy, and extremely noisy from the AC unit.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
15 Thank Elizabeth P
shandytara, General Manager at Sunset House, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Good Morning Elizabeth and thank you for your email.

In looking through your comments it occurs to me that some of your issues might have been addressed and resolved to your liking had you spoken to me while I still had an opportunity to improve your stay. What you are describing is not what typically happens at Sunset House and Sunset Divers and I am sorry you and your family did not enjoy yourselves. I know that having to book that second room so your sons could have their own space was probably not what you had planned on and I apologize that the ac unit was a bit noisy. With respect to your son's regulator, our dive ops manager looked at the unit and determined that because of the brand we were not able to do the repairs as we do not stock parts and our staff are not certified for that particular brand. He recommended a repair facility and we offered to drop it for you which you declined, and it is unfortunate you felt we had left you to find your own solutions.

Should you wish to follow-up on any of your comments or provide additional details about your stay I would very much like ot hear from you and I can be contacted via email at Sunset@SunsetHouse.com.

Ken Thompson
Caribbean Club
Caribbean Club
#1 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Reso...
#4 of 10 in Seven Mile Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,000 reviews
Wyndham Reef Resort
Wyndham Reef Resort
#1 of 1 in East End
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,578 reviews

Been to Sunset House? Share your experiences!