“The real Cayman”

East Island Sightseeing Tour in Grand Cayman
Ranked #1 of 5 Museums in George Town
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: One of the best museums in the Caribbean, it features changing exhibits on the islands' human and natural history.
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Although the beach is beautiful and the restaurants yummy - this museum shows you why you're here and what Cayman is about - from the storms to the fish to the people. Did you know Bodden is a local name - it originates from an English soldier that settled here? Visiting this museum will give you a better sense of the island and make you look at parts of the island in different light. I loved it.

1  Thank Bonnie F

Reviewed May 18, 2012

I cost @ $6.00 to get in. You first watch a movie about the history of the Caymans and are then free to roam the museum. There are a few interesting exhibits, but it's small with limited display space.

Reviewed May 17, 2012

I snuck in while my other half went to the fish market up the street, on our recent trip. It was a delightful contrast to the shopping that we did in the same neighbourhood. For a small museum, it's extremely well curated. I was happy to learn that they're thinking of children and opening an exhibit space for them. I enjoyed their multimedia presentation, visited the top floor which covered all the different eras the islands have undergone in compact but detailed tableaux, and finished my visit with the jail cell from the museum's days as the island's courthouse, complete with writings from prisoners on the exposed original walls. The gift shop was lovely too. The house itself is a testament to the islanders's steadfast and authentic care of their nation.

2  Thank LoulouFdeV
Reviewed May 9, 2012

If you're visiting our tiny island pop into the National Museum, it's a small building with artifacts photos and knowledgable staff who will give you some insight into our countries history. It's a quick visit and worth doing if you're doing a day in George Town. You can also do a historic walk - call in advance to find out when it leaves.

1  Thank EBodd
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I visit the museum every time I am on the island, and I still learn new information about the Cayman Islands history and culture. I particularly enjoy the multi-media "introduction" and the animated stories told by the man on the cat boat (he does seem to look you right in the eye). This year I spent time listening to the audios about various court cases (on the second floor) and studying the turtle nesting exhibit. I also found a great book on the "domestic places and spaces of the Cayman Islands" in the gift shop.

2  Thank MidwestAnnie