“Place locals seem to like”

Mango Tree Restaurant & Lounge
Ranked #34 of 117 Restaurants in George Town
“Place locals seem to like”
Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

Came here because wanted more affordable, local food.

During lunch, they give you the option of ordering off the ready-made lunches of the day or the made to order menu. (Lots of locals calling in to pick up lunch to go.) The servers were very friendly and encouraged us to try a complimentary soup with what I think was melon and carrot, if I remember correctly. Very hearty and meaty tasting for a vegetable soup!

We all got fish dishes--grouper and snapper. My boyfriend's father and I both got brown stewed snapper, which is not a stew: the fish is fried whole and then drenched in this delicious, spicyish sauce. If you're okay with eating around fishbones, order this because it's unique and cooked in a very different way!

Portions were big. Steamed veggies were good and barely salted, which feels healthier--some included bok choy and lentils. Great value and flavor.

Seminole, Florida
“Real local island food and flavors”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We did not think much of the outside of this nondescript restaurant but were guided there by a security person as everything was closed near the airport on Sunday. They had curried goat, oxtail, chicken, BBQ pork etc. We opted for a very hearty chicken soup that was like a stew with dumplings in it. It had an orangey colored broth that we learned was due to the island pumpkin that they use. Reasonable prices (the best we found all week) and good serving portions. Just the right amount of spices. Considering everything in Grand Cayman seems to be going the glitzy way since the hurricane, this was a true gem for sure if you want local food.

• Visited March 2014
“A Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We ate here before we went to the airport to leave for home. It is a very casual place, but VERY busy. There must have been 20-30 takeout orders going out while we there. Our food was fine, reasonably priced, and our server tried very hard to please us. We ordered a shrimp dish, and asked for cocktail sauce. Our server, a lovely young lady, didn't understand what it was, but said the chef would try to make it. He wasn't able to....no horseradish...but the meal was good anyhow. The lace was filled with locals and with all the takeout orders, we knew it was a good.ace!

• Visited March 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Our timing must've been bad?”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We found this on our way to the airport. It was around 1130am, close enough to lunch time, right? Wrong. The girl working, alone, tried to explain the three (??) menus, and when we placed our orders, she came back out a few minutes later and said that none of the food was ready or available (she mumbled a lot, hard to tell what the real problem was) and basically, we had a choice of like, 4 items. And soup, we could have soup. So we ordered soup, and I got the chicken, husband got soup and chicken, the kids each ordered ribs. So, the soup come out before the beverages and the soup is hot, but there is nothing in it. It is broth only. Literally. Then, so e time later, two dinners come out. Still no drinks. So half of us begin eating. Later, the last two dinners come out. Finally the girl brings the beverages. One chicken dinner is cold. Mine was warm. One rib dish was cold, due to time, we said, just eat it and let's go before we miss our flight.

Obviously we caught them at a bad time or bad day, but I'm not jsure I could convince my husband to stop there again to try it again.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank PittsburghPam
Scottsdale, Arizona
“great drinks and local karaoke”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

never experienced before where a server was just about to take down our order-says excuse me- and brings back bug spray as the first order of business! cute! But the drinks were great and they didn't mind adjusting recipe for me. Karaoke was an more than ample sound system even during the downpour! DJ overly accommodating in locating songs not in the song book. Guess the locals liked my choices too as I won a bottle of champagne, and had most drinks paid for my wife and I.

Visited June 2013